Why become a member? ×

Old Horse Murphy RIP

Rich

Oh my God. That's just awful. I bought and sold basses with Nick on many occasions (we used to vie for the most embarrassingly long feedback threads on BC) and he was just such a nice, easygoing guy. He plainly adored his wife Alice (and their dogs) and I believe their favourite piece of music was "Alice in wonderland" by Bill Evans Trio. Leaving that here, thanks for the memories mate. RIP Nick

https://youtu.be/aP1Br5gZTSU?si=uVa0E-4z3tGlQ0vy

• Like 6

This is all dreadfully sad.   I met Nick a couple of times years ago, literally as a middleman to resolve a bass deal gone wrong with someone I knew (it was a Lakland 5-string from memory).

He seemed a decent enough sort.  Calm and unbothered where I'd have been spitting feathers at the inconvenience of the matter.

Anyhow, boo.  Sleep well, sir.

• Like 1

I’m sad to read this. We never met in person, but we started exchanging messages when he discovered I’d bought his old ‘73 Jazz. He contacted me just to say hi, and we talked about the backstory of the bass and that I was only the third owner. I’m a few years older than Nick, it’s a proper reality check. Too young. RIP Nick.

Very sorry to hear this, I still own a pair of Aguilar db112s he sold me over a decade ago (which he described on here as the ones that got away) and he was extremely helpful and friendly. Many condolences to his family. 

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. I had several online chats with Nick. I once bought a bass from him - an oly white 2000's Precision.

He always seemed a decent guy, and great to chat with. It was nice to have met him. We did discuss me heading to Monmouth, and heading out for a pint. Really wish we'd done that now 😪 

Sincere condolences to his family. RIP Old Horse Murphy.

Bummed out about this - I remember giving OHM a playful dig in the ribs a couple of years ago regarding the rate of his hoovering up of G&Ls.

Sad news, he'll be greatly missed around here.

• Like 1

Really saddened to hear this. I’d met Nick twice over the last decade or so, as we traded P basses on 2 occasions. 
We’d go for coffee after and he was an incredibly warm and passionate guy with a wealth of knowledge on all things bass. 
If his family do end up on here, he was a wonderful person and his input and presence here was valued by all. Though my meetings with Nick were few he definitely left an impression. I’m so sorry for your loss. 

• Like 5

So sad to hear this, had many deals with Nick, traditional car park meet included, bought a beautiful '51 P bass from him which I still treasure.

Sincere condolences to family and friends, we'll miss you Nick R.I.P.

John

• Like 1