Why become a member? ×

Old Horse Murphy RIP

Rich

16 hours ago, cetera said:

Only just catching up here having been away for 5 weeks.

Terribly sad news :(

Ah, this is really sad. I missed this when it broke and only noticed the post yesterday evening.

I first had contact with Nick on here, when we did a convoluted trade involving one of my family members acting as courier - it all went fine and he was a gent to deal with. 

It then transpired I'd unknowingly met Nick (in his capacity as OHM) on many occasions - we used to work for the same firm, and first met playing cricket for that firm. It was only when Nick complained he'd broken his finger keeping wicket and might struggle playing his gig that evening that we made the connection!

I was then lucky enough to play drums with him on several occasions - highlights included winning the Bristol 'legal battle of the bands' (bands from local law firms, not an officially-sanctioned contest!) and then after I left the firm, being roped by Nick back into playing with a band comprised of partners at their annual conference. That involved a glitzy hotel in the City, full hired-in professional backline, and a room and food too. 

We'd spoken on-and-off about putting something else together for years but we'd never quite managed to get it to stick. I hadn't spoken to him for a while though and didn't realise he was unwell. Terribly sad for his family and friends - he'll be sadly missed.

• Like 6

Oh god, I don’t know how I’d not seen this until just now, and quite by accident. That’s terrible news.

I never met Nick in person but have chatted with him on threads and in private messages over the years. He’ll be missed. 

My condolences to his family and friends.