Why become a member? ×

Old Horse Murphy RIP

Rich

Just announced by his wife on Facebook:

"Our Nick.

Last night Nick's cancer finally took him away from us. He fought and endured so much from the inital diagnosis 11 years ago, to the second then third reoccurrence. Our fighter until the end. Tenacious, stubborn, fiercely loyal and a complete Dr Dolittle. It's a surprise there are only 3 dogs in the house such was his love of animals. The compromise, a constant stream of bass guitars, "but this one makes the sound I need" only to leave the house a short time later! And latterly his love of Star Wars specifically the franchise Lego filled most available spaces. He loved and was loved completely and there's now a huge void that will never be filled.

I have some favours to ask, please hug your loved ones a little tighter today, and please share any stories/anecdotes/memories and photos you have of Nick."

image.png.d3081c8fc65798a1071c221d0c23db8a.png

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 124

I was very saddened to read just now on Facebook that Nick finally lost his fight with cancer last night.  He was well known to many here as his appetite for basses was insatiable.  We met purely by chance when, many years ago, I won a Lakland DJ4 on Ebay.  He dropped it round to my house and during the ensuing conversation it materialised that he also frequented this place. We remained friends from then on.  My sincere condolences to Alice and his canine companions. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 18

I've also just read this on Facebook and was super shocked as I knew Nick had a battle was cancer some time ago but thought he was in the all clear these days.

I met Nick through Basschat and we did meet up a good many times at his house in Woking and he also came to mine as we were both local. I even helped him write his CV for when he was applying for jobs and moving away. I can't remember which one but I did buy a bass and some other odds and sods from Nick and not only did we chat basses and music but also cars and rugby. This has knocked me for six for sure and I am so super sad. I remember once when he came to my house and I was playing his fretless Tony Franklin Precision and he was playing my fretless Warwick Streamer. We started to swap amps and cabs and at one point everything stopped working. I'd only gone and plugged both end of the speakon cable into the cab which made me look a complete idiot but we both found very funny.

Nick was an absolutely lovely guy, so friendly and will be so sadly missed. R.I.P buddy, will be thinking about you a lot.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Never knew him personally, but remeber his contributions here very well, so condolences to everyone.  Strangely enough I was thinking about him a few weeks ago because we now have a member called just "Old Horse", and I was wondering if that was him, and if not where "Old Horse Murphy" was.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Rich changed the title to Old Horse Murphy
  • Rich changed the title to Old Horse Murphy RIP

This is very sad news. 

Met up with Nick when he bought my Fender Kinsman acoustic bass.

Talked for ages, about rugby, bands and all things bass.

Nick was a wonderful Guy and a real gentleman. 

RIP Old Horse Murphy 

• Like 1