Why become a member? ×

Playing whilst Sick (Tales/regrets when the show went on..)

ARGH

• ARGH changed the title to Playing whilst Sick (Tales/regrets when the show went on..)

We played a gig where the guitarist couldn't feel his hands and played slumped on a stool because he probably couldn't feel his feet either. Even after the singer walked off stage and left both band and venue halfway through the set, we continued to the very bitter end.

Probably shouldn't have done that one.

• Like 1

Middle of a tour once I got a ridiculously bad head cold, ears felt like solid concrete. Not good for intonation on a double bass. In the break one night I had a massive nosebleed that would not stop no matter how many bits of tissue were wedged in there. So now my ears are blocked, my nose is blocked, breathing in general is great craic, and my eyes (of course, it’s a reading gig) feel like they’re lead weights. More comical is that it’s a pseudo classical gig so everytime the singers do some choreographed walk towards the back  of the stage, they can’t help but break out laughing at the sight of me. Oh yes, the show must go on!

• Like 2

Did a wedding in the midst of a migraine (though I didn't know what it was at the time, so I was panicking all night), so bad that I was scared I would collapse on stage.

The weird thing was the pain stopped while we were playing, but in between every song it was murder.

I managed (just!) to get through 2 gigs less than a week after a prostatectomy. The first was painful, so before the second I took as many pain killers as I could - and then people kept buying me drinks. I remember sitting there (I was unable to stand after the op) and listening to the music and thinking I wish I could play bass like that. Then I looked at my hands and they were playing away quite independently of any conscious thought!

I also played several gigs three months after a fairly serious motorcycle accident - wife drove me to the venues and band mates carried my gear for me. I sat on a barstool and had a great time - best therapy I could have had!

• Like 3

Played with a few diff ailments including broken bones in my fretting hand which was painful, but I think the worst was a show that I could feel a toothache coming on all day, which was getting worse by the hour. By the time of the show it was raging and I was going into the wings and clawing at my face between songs. I hope I never have to go through that again, I can handle most things but toothache is something else. 

• Like 1

I played a 7 hour wedding one hogmanay from 7pm to 2am with a flu so bad that I was delirious. I felt like I was in a dream all night. I have no idea how I made it to the end of the gig or what songs we played and spent most of the night leaning against the side of the stage so I wouldn't fall over

Another time I was in a car accident. Had to be driven to the gig and had to play it seated, complete with neck brace, in case I keeled over.

I've probably only missed 3 or 4 gigs in 30 years of playing and they've been due to holidays

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I did one once when I was feeling very ‘off’. Turned out I was coming down with meningitis. Worse was the next one when I was ‘recovering’ from said meningitis after my spinal tap. I also played with measles once and a bout of sciatica mid gig once stopped me from being able to operate my pedals unless I lent backwards! 
My worse was just a flu type thing as a vocalist. I should’ve cancelled that one. 

The whole reason I searched out this thread, is cause I’ve just spent all of Christmas laid up with a fever and violent cough etc and tonight I have a three hour gig I can’t get out of. My wife has agreed to drop off and pick up and I’ve told the band I’ll arrive just before we start and leave as soon as we finish and I’ll probs sit down. Thank goodness for IEMs, but the fact that we’re using a dep engineer has me nervy! Spending today in bed in readiness. 

I came down with a fever during the first of 3 sets on lead guitar, accompanying a country singer/guitarist who used a drum machine. The gig was somewhat challenging anyway as, not only was I playing unfamiliar material completely by ear, but the guy worked in 2-beat chunks - if he’d finished a vocal line before the end of beat 2 he’d immediately start the next one! I spent the breaks pressed against a radiator, trying to subdue the shivering. I couldn’t have left early as I’d shared a lift with the guy from part way there.

Played with pretty bad sickness and diarrhea, was consciously trying to speed up the last few songs of the first set as it was touch and go but fortunately no on stage accidents. Also played with a fractured left clavicle and had to have the strap of my 11.6lb Sire over my right shoulder only which was interesting, have bought a much lighter bass since then!

• Haha 1

Broke my foot literally leaving the house to go to a gig…..

couldn’t get a shoe on as it was so swollen so had a few socks on.

didn't carry or set up any gear.

took loads of painkillers (zapain and nurofen), still in agony.

managed to play the 2.5hrs seated.

went to hospital, got X-rays which confirmed foot was broken. Spent the next 5 weeks in plaster up to my knee.

I got a pretty bad concussion at the start of 3 days drinking in France. I thought I was fine, got home to the UK, then straight to a gig. I thought it was weird that everyone in Uttoxeter was speaking French but I just went with it. When it came time to play I had no idea what was going on. I remember going out of time (on drums) loads and getting a few "looks". Oops!

Too ill is when your singer is too poorly to sing but she can still play rhythm guitar, and I'm not quite as poorly but still tripping out on flu enough to think it would be a good idea for me to take over on vocals. I had never sung in public before. 

I gave it everything. It didn't go particularly well.

Two positives gained from the experience were that I found out that I can sing and play the bass at the same time (a great surprise) and that the whole debacle was recorded so we have a good tear rolling laugh listening to it occasionally. 

Oh it's funny now...

We did get paid still though and the venue closed down soon after so we never got to find out if we were never invited back! 😄

• Like 1

Our singer collapsed at our last gig so that was probably one step too far.

I managed to put my thumb through the table saw two hours before a gig once. Put on a comedy sized bandage and managed to get through the gig on paracetamol and ibuprofen. 

After one gig where I had a few extra breaks I routinely carry Imodium in the car..

• Like 1