Why become a member? ×

When do you know its time to change your strings

Petey

Back in the 80s bright Rotosound strings that were slapped and sounded pingy was one way to go. Times changes and bass tones moved on - the flat re-emerged and became more popular and the brightness wasn't always/if at all,  needed depending on your style of music and what you played - so when do you know its time to change your strings?

Typically when the open E and B (5 string player here) goes muddy / “out of focus” for me, although I must confess I did not change the strings on my Roscoe all through lockdown and it was played pretty much every day.

Just restrung the Roscoe / MTD and Dingwall and do not like new strings but give them some time and I am a happy chappy.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I bought a Jazz with the most dead round wound strings on it I've ever heard. The guy I bought it from played with a pick and he must have beaten the fekk out of the strings. 

I have to admit I really loved the sound.

I rarely change the strings on my bass once they're fitted but I've never got to the level of 'totally fekked', as those strings were.

Edited by gjones

Fortunately, it's mostly only the top A string on cello that has to be changed with any regularity - they're about £45. Last one lasted 3 years. Glad the C string doesn't need changing too often as they're about £120 each

With Elixir rounds it’s hard to know but generally after a year or so I think ‘surely they’re dead by now’ and change them, to realise they were fine!

Flats - when they start to lose stable tuning or they break!

• Like 2

Only use SS rounds, so it's generally when either the top end becomes less pronounced on the D & G strings, or when there's noticable wear. These usually happen around the same time, depending on how much use they've had (obviously, over the last year and a half, they didn't get as much use as they would normally get).

Honestly if I am using rounds and they are not a special coated type or an alloy 52 type or any other type that is known to be long lasting I change them once a month.

I know some people would think that is excessive but the way I see it is £20 a month is not a huge amount of money and especially not for the amount of enjoyment I get from playing, I love that aggressive grindy tone you get from a new or newish set of strings

Flats on the other hand, the older the better.

I normally change the strings when I get a bass - the amount of times I've acquired a bass and it feels like it was used for gardening....

They need to be clean and grime free as does the fretboard. If they're not something needs cleaning.

I change them when they don't do what I want anymore. I've got a Precision with 15+ year old LaBella flats, and that sounds proper old school. My F Bass has had a set of LaBella Super Steps on for a few months, and they are still sounding pretty bright. On the other hand, I've got another Precision that has had Ernie Balls on for 3 gigs, and is already sounding a bit deader than I like.  I don't particularly enjoy restringing, but I'd rather do it regularly than use those horrible coated strings.

• Like 1

I only change my strings when I start thinking to myself, “my bass doesn’t sound the way it used to” or, more likely, if I simply fancy a complete change of brand/string type.

I’ve just realised that in 10+ years of playing I have never replaced my strings with a fresh set of the same strings I already had on! I seem to always use it as an opportunity to try something new. I guess, being a mostly casual player, I don’t have the pressures of gigs or recording sessions etc holding me to any standard of tonal consistency…so I’m just enjoying the journey through the world of strings at present. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That would be when my fingers start to 'stick' to the strings around the pickup area 😂.

Way back when, before corona when I played function music every day, a set of nickelwounds would last about 3 months of nightly use before playing anything quickly is basically impossible.. and that was with daily string cleaning!! When I have the money I try and change every month.