Why become a member? ×

Use a plectrum??

TheGreek

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1390342793' post='2344410']
there's loads of options on this one, and none of them are wrong it's all down to personnel preference and the type of sound you want, I play in a punk band so like a tone with a bit of bite to it, I use a 1mm nylon Dunlops
[/quote]

I don't use picks, but on the rare occasion that I do, those 1mm nylons are my favourite by far!! :)

I've always used .88mm tortex ones.

If I were you I'd go to your local music shop and buy a few different picks and see what you find most comfortable before you go and order a bunch.

There's no 'too thick' or 'too thin' for bass. Whatever you feel most comfortable with is the best.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1390342887' post='2344411']
Being a life long pick player I swear by Jim Dunlop Tortex .73

Just the right balance of firm for digging in, flexi for speed and rubbery grip-ness. Love them and always a couple in my back pocket
[/quote]

Those are my top choice for bass.

I've haven't played pick for quite a while, but I played a couple of songs in rehearsal tonight using my index finger nail as a pick, it sounded ace, I love pick style, damping and down strokes sound cool.

The beauty of plectrums is you can get lots of different makes with a variety of different gauges that work well so mix it up fairly cheaply. I used to think it had to be a thick one but some plastics work well as light as 0.6 for me. I'm not precious these days and often just nab one off a guitarist if I feel a song warrants a pick and I've forgotten one.