Why become a member? ×

Use a plectrum??

TheGreek

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1390388212' post='2344718']
What does everyone do when they switch between pick and finger style during a set, adjust your output or use a limiter ?
[/quote]

I have an always-on compressor on my board, but even when not using this, I don't find sound levels a problem when switching back and forth. It's a different tone, but not necessarily a louder/quieter signal.

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1390388404' post='2344723']
I have an always-on compressor on my board, but even when not using this, I don't find sound levels a problem when switching back and forth. It's a different tone, but not necessarily a louder/quieter signal.
[/quote]

This. Except for the compressor bit.

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1390388404' post='2344723']
[/quote]

I find pick is way louder, but recently the limiter is working wonders, I wonder if its my technique , to heavy maybe ?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1390388825' post='2344732']
I find pick is way louder, but recently the limiter is working wonders, I wonder if its my technique , to heavy maybe ?
[/quote]

I don't know. Haven't really thought about it much. I used to use a 3mm pick, but found that it actually made my bass [i]quieter...[/i]

Been trying to get back to playing with my fingers over the last few years, so rarely use picks these days, however, I always have at least one Dunlop Nylon 0.73 (the light grey ones) pick handy (tucked into scratchplate) for those "I need a pick and quick" moments.

Tried many, many picks for bass over the years, from big heavy one's that everyone says are excellent, to the really thin ones that no-one uses. IMO, the .73 Nylons are stiff enough for fast playing, but flexible enough to give a more gentle string attack sound more akin to a finger style sound, where the heavier picks tend to give a snappier "clicky" sound (IMO), great if that's what you're after. Another plus side to using the Nylons is that they last for ages (but are a bugger to find if you drop them!).

Also ended up using the .73 Nylons for acoustic guitar too (again, softer sound), but use Tortex .63's (Orange) for electric.

What does everyone do when they switch between pick and finger style during a set, adjust your output or use a limiter ?
[/quote]

I try to play harder with a pick to match the output when playing finger style.

[/quote]

Never needed to do either, I use a pick to give me a different sound, not a massive jump in volume.

For some reason lots of players seem to think using a pick = hammering the crap out of the strings.

[/quote]

Nothing. Whether I play using either a pick or finger-style I still get the same range of volumes.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1390342952' post='2344413']
I don't use picks, but on the rare occasion that I do, those 1mm nylons are my favourite by far!! :)
[/quote]

Same here - I use them for guitar too so I'm used to the feel of them.

Another Dunlop 1mm user. They last for years and even when rounded off at the bottom are great for 'less attack'. Although you can use one of the round top corners for that if you like. I lost one the other day - first time in about 10 years!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1390404711' post='2345045']
Another Dunlop 1mm user. They last for years and even when rounded off at the bottom are great for 'less attack'. Although you can use one of the round top corners for that if you like. I lost one the other day - first time in about 10 years!
[/quote]

Same, I never lose picks!

It's the green 88s for me, though I'm thinking of going thicker...

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1390404791' post='2345047']
Same, I never lose picks!
[/quote]

Neither do I mostly, though I mysteriously seem to have mislaid one for the first time ever last night! I suspect a guitar player...picks of mine have only ever gone missing when they've been through the hands of a guitarist last!

[sub]I use a Dava pick, absolute nightmare to get hold of but they are both thick and flexible.[/sub]

[sub]Theye have a strip along the middle which is really thin so depending on where your thumb is they work as a thick pick, or a flexible pick, or a mixture of both.[/sub]

[sub]Sounds wierd but having tried nost of them I found this was best suited to my playing...[/sub]