Why become a member? ×

Use a plectrum??

TheGreek

I regularly switch between picks and fingers depending on the requirements of the song. There's one thing to be mindful of when choosing a pick. Different materials and thicknesses will produce different tones. Make sure that when you settle on a gauge and material that the tone produced sits well within the overall band mix.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1390342887' post='2344411']
Being a life long pick player I swear by Jim Dunlop Tortex .73

Just the right balance of firm for digging in, flexi for speed and rubbery grip-ness. Love them and always a couple in my back pocket
[/quote]

^ this. Next thread please.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1390342887' post='2344411']
Being a life long pick player I swear by Jim Dunlop Tortex .73

Just the right balance of firm for digging in, flexi for speed and rubbery grip-ness. Love them and always a couple in my back pocket
[/quote]

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1391031718' post='2352559']
^ this. Next thread please.
[/quote]

Cool. I win! :D

Edited by Billy Apple

Picks have arrived!!!

There is a choice of two - the first and more numerous is the BC logo, the second is rarer (only found 2 in the bag so far) Basschat.co.uk logo.

I was hoping to keep them for the next Herts Bash but may crumble under pressure if they're required for the BC stand at the LBGS.

Sorry, not the best photos in the world but you get the idea...Here they are:

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/BC%20picks/bcpicks009_zps6536a9d7.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/BC%20picks/bcpicks009_zps6536a9d7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/BC%20picks/7d95c41a-72c7-4350-9ebc-d42039585070_zps2336cd21.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/BC%20picks/7d95c41a-72c7-4350-9ebc-d42039585070_zps2336cd21.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/BC%20picks/bcpicks002_zpsa969abdb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/BC%20picks/bcpicks002_zpsa969abdb.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1391110497' post='2353464']
Picks have arrived!!!

There is a choice of two - the first and more numerous is the BC logo, the second is rarer (only found 2 in the bag so far) Basschat.co.uk logo.

I was hoping to keep them for the next Herts Bash but may crumble under pressure if they're required for the BC stand at the LBGS.

[/quote]

Why are there only 2 Basschat.co.uk ones? Did you order an equal number or did the printers make the order up as they went along?

They look good BTW :)

Edited by Si600

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1391056485' post='2352766']
Cool. I win! :D
[/quote]

Not yet, you don't - I've ordered some to try, and you only win if I like them enough to change over from Hercos, which I've used for years. If I DON'T like them, not only do you NOT win, but you have to buy me a big box of Hercos, too. Deal? :D[size=4] :P[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391175110' post='2354129']
Not yet, you don't - I've ordered some to try, and you only win if I like them enough to change over from Hercos, which I've used for years. If I DON'T like them, not only do you NOT win, but you have to buy me a big box of Hercos, too. Deal? :D :P
[/quote]

I've heard you'd had the same underpants for years, and it's about time you changed them too!

Mate, Herco's are cheap and plakky, while Uncle Jim's Torties are lush and sumptuous.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1391195233' post='2354536']

I've heard you'd had the same underpants for years, and it's about time you changed them too!

Mate, Herco's are cheap and plakky, while Uncle Jim's Torties are lush and sumptuous.
[/quote]

Our Uncle Jim will never be pulled in by the Yewtree boys.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1391195233' post='2354536']
[/quote]

I got my Torties in the post this morning - they look nice, but... they are of uniform thickness, and I'd say about, oh... 0.23mm too thick for me. Hercos are thicker where you hold them (about 1mm) and 0.50mm at the business end, which I like.

So in conclusion, Torties seem (to me) too thin at the holding end, too thick at the playing end and not flexible enough for my taste. Sorry, Bud. Thanks for the recommendation, though - it's good to try new things - and I really wanted to like them, as yellow is my favourite colour. But they are not for me. :)

Edited by discreet

These are my absolute favourite picks but have been difficult to get. Just found a seller on ebay so I've stocked up again (coming from Canada but you still get 10 for about £3.50)

George Dennis Sharp 0.88
They are nylon I think so they have a bit of flex, and they have raised grip so they don't slip.
I love them!

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391252286' post='2354944']
Hercos are thicker where you hold them (about 1mm) and 0.50mm at the business end, which I like.

[/quote]

In the last couple of years I've gone back to picks after 20+ years using fingers. My favoured ones are Hercos (I do use others but always come back to the Hercos) and I alternate between the 0.5 & 0.75. But - I use the side of them to play with, not the point - always have. Am I alone in this? Never seen any mention of anyone else doing it.

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1391331116' post='2355746']
In the last couple of years I've gone back to picks after 20+ years using fingers. My favoured ones are Hercos (I do use others but always come back to the Hercos) and I alternate between the 0.5 & 0.75. But - I use the side of them to play with, not the point - always have. Am I alone in this? Never seen any mention of anyone else doing it.
[/quote]

Me neither and I do use the point... but I hold the pick quite close to the point so I do get some thumb contact on the string, too - this gives a completely different sound to just using the point of the pick on its own - but not heard of anyone using the side. :)

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1391331116' post='2355746']
[/quote]

you mean the rounded 'point' (where you are supposed to hold it) as opposed to the sharp point i presume? (not actually holding the pick on its side??!)
yes i sometimes try playing with the rounded edge. i also have a bunch of the george dennis picks that come with a very rounded edge - almost like a 1p radius. it is good for giving a softer 'pluck', but usually i like a very sharp point as i find it more accurate for my style.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391340139' post='2355879']
Some very thick picks here! I'm wondering just how hard you people dig in!! :D
[/quote]
It's not always about digging in. Attack is different with a harder pick and the recovery time of the pick is faster so you can, if needs be, play faster with a thicker pick.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1391341093' post='2355893']
It's not always about digging in. Attack is different with a harder pick and the recovery time of the pick is faster so you can, if needs be, play faster with a thicker pick.
[/quote]

I beg to differ. I can play much faster (when necessary) with a flexible Herco .50 than with even a .73 pick, an experiment I conducted only yesterday with a Dunlop Tortie, which doesn't flex as much. But I suppose it's what you're used to.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391342295' post='2355912']
I beg to differ. I can play much faster (when necessary) with a flexible Herco .50 than with even a .73 pick, an experiment I conducted only yesterday with a Dunlop Tortie, which doesn't flex as much. But I suppose it's what you're used to.
[/quote]
Well, I don't deny your experience but I thought I was merely saying a standard and uncontroversial thing.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1391342880' post='2355921']
Well, I don't deny your experience but I thought I was merely saying a standard and uncontroversial thing.
[/quote]

No controversy intended! I just can't play faster with a thicker pick, is all. :)

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1391340740' post='2355889']
you mean the rounded 'point' (where you are supposed to hold it) as opposed to the sharp point i presume?
[/quote]

No. I actually use this bit. Or is that what you meant?

That's just how I picked it up over 30 years ago so I don't think I'm going to change now. :D

Edited by el borracho