Why become a member? ×

Songs that you hate with a passion

Relating to my thread about "Stairway to Heaven on bass" - I sent the link to a guitarist friend who replied "aren't you sick to death of that song?". 

Well TBH, yes....but there are other songs which I could quite happily never listen to again.

Firstly, "Hey Joe" - the Hendrix version, the full length version of Layla, including the 4 hour piano solo - by Eric Clapton and (for now) "A Bat out of hell" - actually anything on that whole album - by Meatloaf. 

IMO the world would be a much better place if none of these were ever played again.

Your turn...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I'm rapidly falling out of love with Blondie's Call Me because we've played it at every gig my 80s band has done, but I don't hate it, at least not yet.

The two songs I really do loathe are Wonderwall and Frankie Valli's Sherry. Apparently the see-you-next-Tuesday responsible for that horrible noise wrote it in fifteen minutes - I reckon he must have had writers' block.

I genuinely have to leave the room if I hear Sherry on the radio because I hate it so much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Brown eyed girl, Get Lucky, Valerie and Summer of 69. Mostly due to them being played and murdered by many covers bands (including ones I have played in).

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

There's one horrendous piece I used to hear on repeat over and over again in the mid 90s when I worked in a lab where someone insisted that they couldn't work unless a radio was on.

I know it as "the naa song" but I think it might be called "here comes the hot stepper".

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Although I can appreciate it as a good song Fairy Tale of New York by The Pogues. I just can’t stand it.

+1

I used to really love it, but at some point I got sick to death of it seemingly being every 3rd song you hear wherever you go in December.

If it comes on while I'm listening to the radio I'll kill the volume before the first bar is over.

• Like 3

Not many songs I intrinsically hate as I tend to zone out if I'm uninterested but there are definitely many that have outstayed their welcome in my head thanks to radio saturation e.g 'Dont stop me now' (Queen), 'Alright now', 'Born in the USA', 'Livin' on a prayer', 'With or without you', 'Come on Eileen'. Oh yes, come to think of it there are 3 tunes that have me trying to rip my ears off...'Perfect' by Fairground Attraction, 'Young at heart' by The Bluebells and 'Real gone kid' by Deacon Blue.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 6

I think we’ve had similar threads before and nothing has changed for me, no 1 is mustang sally😬,

and I find it hard to listen to ed sheeran and George Ezra for more than a few minutes 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

Way out at the front of the pack for me is Valerie.  If I never hear it again it will still be too soon!

Sam x

The Zutons original or the Amy Winehouse cover? I'm with you all the way on the Winehouse cover but the original's bassline is great fun!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Wonderwall. I will go out of my way never to play that again. If it comes on the radio I will turn it off. I can’t stand it. 

Rispek, bruv. I hate that song, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hate bad people, don't bother to hate songs!!

In the last 10 years I've played at least 50% of the songs listed so far. Played but never "murdered". 

If it's a good band, good audience and we're getting paid, I'll happily play them as many times as I'm asked.

I have to admit, I do a mean Mustang Sally.

• Like 3

There are many, but I try to focus on the positives wherever possible as all of those songs will mean a lot to far more people than will ever give a hoot about owt I ever produce. That said…

Enter Bloody Sandman! 🤬

Turgid.

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 2

Another vote for Red Red Whine - indeed, any of UB40's later cod-reggae covers, especially "I Got You Babe" - if you can't play 3/4 time, just don't bloody play songs written in it.

Continuing the red theme, "Little Red Corvette" and "Raspberry Beret". Irritating trite little ditties.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Red Red Wine by UB40.

I'm with you.

Ship Called Dignity is my all time top most worstest song in the world ever. I can't put my finger on what about it makes it so awful, it's just the entire thing.

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1

The one that really makes me want to start breaking things is 'Walking On Broken Glass' by Annie Lennox.

Our local BBC radio station (Berkshire) just seems to have such a limited playlist and I'd hear this song maybe once every couple of days.  At work, the consultants have a terrible oldies station on at the other end of the office and I hear it twice, sometimes three times a day. 

It's torture.  I can't bear her or The Eurythmics at the best of times.

• Like 1