Why become a member? ×

Songs that you hate with a passion

We do love a “negative” thread! 🤔.  Some of these mentioned are to my mind the greatest songs of all time (Bohemian Rhapsody / Stairway to heaven / any ABBA), and it’s pretty clear from the foregoing that many are hated simply through over-exposure in playing in cover bands, which I can certainly relate to  - but if you heard “Mustang Sally” or “Brown eyed girl” for the very first time, you’d almost certainly think “what a great song”!     

There are songs I dislike simply through being bad; (eg “Agadoo”, “Grandad”, any rap / thrash metal), but what really makes me reach for the OFF button on the radio is a song that I really should like (by genre / artist) but is ruined in some way by mannerism or pretension; Joy Division were one of my favourite bands (I was lucky enough to see live), but whilst New Order have written some good stuff I find the sub-Kraftwerk vocals very hard indeed to listen to; likewise the fake reggae singing on any later UB40 is simply painful - and this was the band who early on did the fabulous “King” and “Food for thought”.    

• Like 2

"Yellow" by Coldplay. It's a terrible song to begin with, but my wife is a piano teacher and several of her students are learning it for grade exams. Even played as an instrumental version it's utterly irritating.

Anything by George Ezra. Before the virus I worked in an office where I had to endure the musical tastes of the boss, which extended to the fag ends of Britpop like Oasis and contemporary "singer songwriters". Ezra's "Budapest" with that grating "ooh" brought me close to quitting at one point. My plan was to initially try and get signed off work for as long as possible with mental health issues by running around the office with nothing on below the waist, while urinating and shouting "it won't stop". Thankfully the whole office complained that we should take turns at putting music on. My turn started with the entirety of Einstürzende Neubauten's "Kollaps" album:

Edited by chriswareham
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

likewise the fake reggae singing on any later UB40 is simply painful - and this was the band who early on did the fabulous “King” and “Food for thought”.    

Wow, that is so aligned with my view, Their first album 'Signing Off' was, in my view, stupendous ( several fab songs eg Tyler, King etc) but they quickly dissolved into utterly dreadful, commercial (as another BCer described it) cod reggae

• Like 4

For those who posted unsmiley responses to my suggestions re: Don't look back in Anger and Everybody needs somebody, its maybe not the song so much as their amazing power to cause a headlong rush to the dance floor from lagered-up lads (who normally prefer to booze rather than dance), knocking everyone aside, leaving a trail of death and destruction and lots of bro-hugging.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, super al said:

That's another thread right there "songs spoiled by listening to a guitarist or singer in your band making the same error every time".

I can't listen to Reptilia by the Strokes without a smirk when it's just the guitar playing by itself midway through...we always said it was the jazz version 😂

The distant ice cream van style Mr Brightside intro

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Sorry...I can't let this thread go any further without saying the unsayable...

Bob Marley's album "Legend" - totally killed his work for me. Nearly everyone I know has that album/ CD - their only venture into reggae ( well maybe "Labour of love" by UB40 too).

It saddens me to tentatively agree with this. The truly special original recording of 'No Woman, No Cry' destroyed forever. 

15 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Are you insane?

😆.. Yeah maybe.  Its not the music its me, which I said a version of that to a girl once. I get it, I recognise them as great songs, but the songs just dont do it for me.  The rhythms of alot of songs, the chord changes etc etc,,  I dont like the color teal, so thats about how much my opinion matters..  But....   I find a sniff of euro pop about them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

😆.. Yeah maybe.  Its not the music its me, which I said a version of that to a girl once. I get it, I recognise them as great songs, but the songs just dont do it for me.  The rhythms of alot of songs, the chord changes etc etc,,  I dont like the color teal, so thats about how much my opinion matters..  But....   I find a sniff of euro pop about them. 

A sniff? 🤣 

Most of the songs I really don’t like are due to me having overplayed them in poor-quality covers bands over many years.

While I’ve never liked Wonderwall (or indeed Oasis in general), the experience of dragging that sound out probably a few hundred times onstage for drunken punters to hug and sway to has traumatised me for life. 

It’s at the level of “turn it off as fast as possible,” if I ever hear it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The one that comes to mind is Yellow by Coldplay. I literally HAVE to remove myself from it immediately.

A song that I loved but ultimately hated - Vienna by Ultravox. Sure does go on.

46 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Christmas songs. Every single one.

I can see where you are coming from. There is often a certain production value that piles on the schmaltz. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard Tim Minchin’s White Wine in the Sun, some interesting lyrics.

My Boy Lollipop makes my skin crawl. Normally, it’s the artists performing a song that raises my ire, not the song in itself. It’s entire catalogues that are ruined because of the performer for me.

OutKast’s Hey Ya. Almost as ear-gratingly nasty as the theme tune to the old tv soap Take The High Road.

I almost put Meatloaf’s I Would Do Anything For Love. But the reason has more due to timing and a certain couple of women than the song itself…

24 minutes ago, ezbass said:

My Boy Lollipop makes my skin crawl

It does the opposite for me - a wonderful joyous record, that was so important for being the first 

time many people in the UK were aware of ska/bluebeat. Great feel, I love it. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, casapete said:

It does the opposite for me - a wonderful joyous record, that was so important for being the first 

time many people in the UK were aware of ska/bluebeat. Great feel, I love it. 

It’s a connection between this and a childhood memory that causes the problem. The Ska thing is great.

13 hours ago, Shaggy said:

We do love a “negative” thread! 🤔.  Some of these mentioned are to my mind the greatest songs of all time (Bohemian Rhapsody / Stairway to heaven / any ABBA), and it’s pretty clear from the foregoing that many are hated simply through over-exposure in playing in cover bands, which I can certainly relate to  - but if you heard “Mustang Sally” or “Brown eyed girl” for the very first time, you’d almost certainly think “what a great song”!     

There are songs I dislike simply through being bad; (eg “Agadoo”, “Grandad”, any rap / thrash metal), but what really makes me reach for the OFF button on the radio is a song that I really should like (by genre / artist) but is ruined in some way by mannerism or pretension; Joy Division were one of my favourite bands (I was lucky enough to see live), but whilst New Order have written some good stuff I find the sub-Kraftwerk vocals very hard indeed to listen to; likewise the fake reggae singing on any later UB40 is simply painful - and this was the band who early on did the fabulous “King” and “Food for thought”.    

Woah there, tiger! Any rap/thrash metal is bad music huh? Not sure about that one. I do love to hate examples from each though!

• Like 2

Song #2 by Blur. How such a basic song with such a basic riff and terrible vocal is so popular I'll never understand.

Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter.  Such in obvious riff and stupid obvious lyrics trying to be deep. Hate it. 

Number one for me has to be The Birdie Song. Something I thought was consigned to the 1980s, but since taking up piano accordion, it seems to be a go-to song for accordion players, and does nothing to enhance an instrument with a poor reputation already  :(