Why become a member? ×

Top three attributes of a drummer - your opinion?

Mickeyboro

Great timing (no unintentional drifting).

Good ears (listens to the rest of band).

Affable (you don’t want the next Vinnie Collaiuta, who is then a complete butthole).

If allowed a 4th: the ability to play softly as well as hard, although this should go hand in hand with #2.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 5

I think @ezbass and @bassbiscuits have nailed the attributes I’d list.

My covers band is on its third drummer in a year. All three of them have lives that are, shall we say, complicated. Meaning they’re the band members who have the most difficulty committing to gig dates or rehearsal schedules. I don’t know if that’s an unlucky coincidence on our part or it’s a drummer trait others have noticed. So, I might add the ability to commit as a desirable characteristic.

• Like 1

Time, musicality- understanding what energy level they need to be putting in for the relevant part of the song (especially they can create that intensity without face melting volume) and drumming vocabulary, if we’re playing for two hours in an evening we’re going to have a variety of feels and tempos in the set, they’ll need to be able to shuffle, swing, disco, rock as we’re a function band.

Our current drummer has none of the above, our dep drummer does but he’s simply not available enough. It hurts! 

• Like 1

Timekeeping.

Dynamics.

Sense of Humour.

Tick tick metronome who can do quiet and loud at the right time and laughs at knob and fart gags.

write it up - I’ll have hundreds queuing around the block.

In fact, I already have him…he’s called max…

• Like 1

Can't really add anything else that's not already been said.

From my experience, it's amazing how many drummers cannot just play a straight 4 (or whatever the song 

demands) , without over embellishing everything. It's down to listening to what's going on / necessary.

Players of other instruments obviously do this too, but for some reason it's most noticeable when it's

the drummer. 

• Like 1

1. Not spontaneously combusting

2. Not stage diving on to a concrete floor

3. Not preemptively attacking two people in  Woolworths on the assumption they are on the rob

(2 and 3 actually happened in one of my bands)

Edited by Clarky