Why become a member? ×

BC adverts that still haunt you

Munurmunuh

Thread is gone, but the one that still haunts me to this day is a left handed Modulus Quantum 5. I think the seller was @whynot. It had a beautiful quilted maple top finished in natural, 19 mm spacing at the bridge, and the seller was asking just 700 GBP for it (!!!). I really couldn't afford it at the time, or I would have swam across the Channel if I had to! 

It was back on eBay within a week for double the original asking price.

And there was a Wal Mk1 that I had actually already paid for, but after a lot of hassle at the post office (because the package was too long) the seller decided it was pre-destined and he had to keep it. He transferred me back my 1700 GBP (yes, they're a fair bit more expensive these days!)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

In the last year there were a couple of DeGier Origin basses, one a green 6 string and, the other, a blonde fretless 4 string, which gave me multiple impure thoughts. Luckily, I wanted neither a six string nor a fretless so was able to resist but the thoughts of a fretted four string in either guise still gives me palpitations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sammybee said:

It was a Shoreline? Gold 1960's Fender Jazz that I was considering.... was that the one

I took NWRs Jazz apart once, think it dated both 61 & 62, I remember that as I was suprised at the time it had the mute holes despite being a 62. It was a good while back though - cracking bass, but his ‘Rhythm Stick’ 70s P Bass is truly something magical , what a bass 🤤

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Last week...

Missed it by deliberating too long... But I'm not too sad... I have something else French coming!

(@walshy I was quite sad for a few days though!!!)

Sorry dude. I tried to get it back from the shop too but they’d sold it minutes before.

• Like 1

There’s been some nice basses over the 10+ years I’ve been on here, a 60’s black Jazz bass springs to mind. 

But nothing I’ve regretted as I’ve rarely been in a position to buy. However there is one bass in BC possession that I’ve missed twice from a retailer and if it ever comes up in the classifieds nothing will stop me.

• Like 1

This one.  A cocktail of seller's remorse and the constant stumbling over my advert when Googling Yamaha SB-35 for sale :(

One appeared on eBay recently but it was nearly 1kg heavier. 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2021 at 12:54, Reggaebass said:

I live just round the corner from where Andy Baxter was and I remember that bass, whoever bought it, Andy was going to get Norman to hand it to them 

It was actually Colin Greenwood from Radiohead that bought Norman's Jazz Bass. Norman mentions it here, halfway down the page https://www.musicradar.com/news/wilko-johnson-and-norman-watt-roy-we-were-packing-places-out-because-we-were-so-different-from-whatever-else-was-happening

• Like 2