Why become a member? ×

Bad Customer service vs good

Angel

I spent a few hundred pounds on bass pickups at a well known dealer. They showed up and annoyingly one of the 4 'tube' springs was missing from one package. I sent them an email stating that one was missing and could they stick one in the post (I'm all out of spares, and my OCD side would prefer 4 the same even if they can't be seen!). Ignored. I ended up buying some tubing off of eBay. The upshot is I have unsubscribed from their newsletter and will be going elsewhere in future for bass-related purchases. 

OK, so today I was going to install my old John East J-Retro 01, and to my consternation I found that I had lost the earth wire. I searched all over but couldn't find it. I emailed John and asked if I could purchase a replacement, and not 10 minutes later he had replied with "I've stuck one in the post for you". Now THAT is great customer service! Many thanks to John!

• Like 5

Many many years ago I used to have a 6U SKB rack case, I bought it secondhand and it didn't have enough of the fixing cage nut thingies to allow me to mount all the bits of kit I wanted in it. I looked all over the place on tinternet but couldn't find any, so I emailed SKB in the States and asked if there was a UK distributor I could approach. The reply was along the lines of "yes they can be a bit hard to find, give us your address and we'll pop some in the post for you FOC". I replied with my address and 3 days later they fell on my doormat all the way from Orange County California. Fabulous customer service.

• Like 2

I had similar with some Hipshot tuners I bought, the bushes were slightly too small so I emailed them and asked if they had something more suitable available for retail. They just said send us your address and we’ll post them out. It is amazing how some companies/retailers seem to overlook these kinds of gestures, whereas for others they build and retain large customer bases with them.

• Like 2

Ashdown - everytime time I've had to contact them I received service over and above what I expected.

I bought a GB Rumour from a member here, however the Bass was with Bernie being serviced. He rang me to ask how I wanted it set up, I mentioned that I liked light strings - it was wearing 45s at the time - even though I wasn't actually giving him any money he still bought a new set of light strings, fitted them and set the bass up.

Dawn at Status - every time I've spoken to her she has sorted my query without any issue.

I've only dealt with Warwick once. Their rep was rude and unhelpful - I won't miss an opportunity to tell others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Aston Microphones.

I have an Aston Spirit mic, the type with a built-in mesh covering the capsule.

I foolishly left it unattended when my six-year-old grandson was visiting.

His curiosity had him poke his finger through the mesh at the top.

I contacted Aston to let me know if they could supply me with a replacement and offered to pay, both for item and postage.

I got a reply to say they would send one out.

Two days later a replacement part was delivered, free of charge.

Excellent service which will be remembered.

• Like 1

The Ugly:
ProMusicTools in Munich. They have Music Man Premier Dealer Network status and thus can sell some exclusive stuff.
They keep a high price profile, which is OK for me (but then I expect something for my money).
They sell me a lim.ed. Bongo, and pack it, in a way too roomy Fender box, so badly it gets damaged during transport. Seeing the outer damage, I document the whole unpacking process, and send them the pics.
They accept my claim. I tell them: rather than sending it back to them, I'll take the dents and paint damage on the chin, and will solder in a new pot myself if they just send me a new little pot or the info I need to order a pot myself.
More than a whole year and several friendly and eventually polite mails later, I still haven't received a pot. I have not received the info I need to order the right pot myself.
Then, probably in an attempt to shift the blame away from themselves, and maybe to protect Music Man (who I guess didn't send the pot), they start blaming me for the whole thing.

I tell them I will officially complain about them to Music Man.
Suddenly a pot arrives...

The Bad: 
A local high street firm who are importer for Camps classical guitars. I buy a thin Camps from them and they are to order a thin case for it.
Many years later, and lots of clear but friendly to and fro, there's still no case around my guitar.
At one point they tell me a bad worker was fired, and the future looks bright.
I see no difference. I just see a lousy yellow sticky notes system.

The Good:

John East and Bass Direct - with the usual service: very knowledgeable and very willing to share and to cater for the customer's needs.
Also:
Ashdown. Every time time I've had to contact them I received service over and above what I expected. Way over.
Still they always left me with the feeling I could've received even more. Then it dawned on me: they were giving a slice of my service to @TheGreek
😡  😁

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had a couple of non-bass related ones at either end of the service spectrum recently.

The good: I bought a Natal double-kick pedal second hand. I didn't notice one of the beater locking screws was missing. I contacted Natal looking to buy one and, as with others here, their response was brilliant, they sent it out for free. Result? Natal will be very high up my list when it comes to every future drum related purchase.

The bad: I bought a Nintendo Switch a few months ago, which died recently, it won't charge or power on. These things happen. I contacted the seller, Gamestop, about how to get a warranty repair. "Bring it into a local store" they said. Fine. I called into the local branch a couple of days ago. After much ooohing and aaahing and being asked if I bought it new more than once (as well as asking when I bought it more than once) they wouldn't accept it for repair and told me I'd have to take it up with Nintendo directly. Irritated, I contacted their main support centre, the people who told me to bring it to the local branch in the first place, and this time was told "The store seems unable to determine the fault with the console and have directed you to Nintendo to repair the console under warranty and retain the said warranty." The store didn't even look at it. They wouldn't accept it because it was "over 30 days old" despite being well within warranty. Result? I will never, ever spend money in Gamestop again.

Good service requires a little effort but usually pays for itself in the long run. I don't understand why some companies choose to turn customers against them and cut off any future revenue from them.

• Like 1

Ashdown as well for me, I have 3 of their amps CTM's and an ABM. Dave Green has always been really helpful, free with his advice to keep the amps running well and when there have been problems with the older amps, both over 10 years old they have either supplied the parts and instruction for a diy fix or repaired the amps free of charge, the amps are superb, it is this that keeps me loyal to the brand

• Like 1

LaBella were great. 

Std scale E too long for new 33 inch scale bass, and looked like Medium scale would be too short..

Contacted New York HQ, they queried bridge / peg measurements, said they'd see what they could do.

A week later, 2 x custom length E strings arrived in the post, no charge. Great family owned and run business that went above and beyond. 

I've had very good service from Sandberg and EBS - it's the little things. 

I'd lost one of the grub screws from a machine head on my Sandberg and emailed to ask what size I'd need to source to replace it. Couldn't quite work it out - they just popped a couple in the post.

Similarly with EBS, I bought a second hand pedal and it had some screws missing - same query as above - same result. They were also great when my HD350 developed a fault, went off to Essex Amp Repairs (they are good too!) who said that they'd need to source the part from EBS as it was a bit unusual. They reported back that they'd also had great support - then raved about the build quality of the amp.

This is an old story (2013), but I thought I'd share it:

I purchased a set of Fender flatwounds online (from Sounds Live who I don't think exist anymore...) and set about putting them on my lovely Mexi Jazz Bass. That’s when the fun started. The ‘D’ snapped at the peg end while I was stringing up, leaving me just enough for one wind around the peg. I’ve never snapped a string whilst tuning, so I thought there may be an issue with it, but I still hadn’t ruled out ‘pilot error’ at this stage. So, I dropped a line to the retailer asking if I could buy a single 'D'. the retailer got back to me, saying they'd got in touch with Fender to sort out a replacement. The following day, I received a courteous and apologetic email from Fender saying that the strings (a full set, not just the dodgy one) were in the post and to make up for any inconvenience, they included a couple of custom shop patch leads. 

I reckon that’s customer service above and beyond the call of duty.

• Like 2

For me on the customer service issue:

Good: Bought a new Fender CS P bass via Coda Music in Stevenage. There was a problem with the instrument to which they fully refunded me, no questions asked and with great communications along the way. A repeat customer was born! 

Bad: Ordered a bass from Bravewood Guitars. Instrument arrived and developed a construction fault. Long story but had to start a small claims court procedure to get the customer service required in this instance. Not cool and very stressful.      

Edited by Noisyjon

Bad ::: PMT bought a Pro Jazz back in August the first one they sent was clearly a demo model, scratches on body and a ding so returned. Second Jazz turns up,  a bit later than there 2 - 3 day turnaround...bass is fine checked serial number on authenticity certificate to serial number on bass..don't match, i've got a white Jazz and certificate is for a black Jazz. Last phone call from them 3 weeks ago saying they would get correct certificate for my Jazz but so far nothing, i know everythings kinda sluggish with the covid but for all it takes to send an update on whats happening can't be hard. Utter rubbish service worst i've ever came accross

Good ::: Forth Music in Kirkcaldy, Deek runs the wee shop with his mate. Had a few preamps fitted, setups and a good blether always happy to help out.

On 07/10/2020 at 13:57, Angel said:

I spent a few hundred pounds on bass pickups at a well known dealer. They showed up and annoyingly one of the 4 'tube' springs was missing from one package. I sent them an email stating that one was missing and could they stick one in the post (I'm all out of spares, and my OCD side would prefer 4 the same even if they can't be seen!). Ignored. I ended up buying some tubing off of eBay. The upshot is I have unsubscribed from their newsletter and will be going elsewhere in future for bass-related purchases. 

OK, so today I was going to install my old John East J-Retro 01, and to my consternation I found that I had lost the earth wire. I searched all over but couldn't find it. I emailed John and asked if I could purchase a replacement, and not 10 minutes later he had replied with "I've stuck one in the post for you". Now THAT is great customer service! Many thanks to John!

Well lucky you! I emailed John several times, and he even acknowledged that he’d received at least one of those emails in a thread elsewhere on this forum, but still no reply. Guess he has his favourites, but not sure what I did other than buy preamps from him and constantly promote his products here and elsewhere to earn the disrespect :(  

Marshall... needed a replacement for a cracked knob (stop sniggering...) for my eBay MB15 combo...

old and odd stuff not listed on their web site.... sent em an email enquiry as no phones and closed early lockdown...

a couple turned up in the post a couple of weeks later..

Fine!

Bergantino. The man has never seen a penny from me because I bought my IP310 2nd hand (have I ever mentioned how much I love it?).

I had some issues with it and he sent me parts FOC from the US. He offered to revoice the DSP FOC if I sent it to him - until he realised it would be impractical due to the large amount of water between us.

I had another issue which was known issue with the plate amp he used. He did not blink but put me in touch with the OEM manufacturer.

He even took one of my suggestions on board for upgrading the B-Amp. I lke to think about it as the "Owen tweak".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dov65 said:

Bad ::: PMT bought a Pro Jazz back in August the first one they sent was clearly a demo model, scratches on body and a ding so returned. Second Jazz turns up,  a bit later than there 2 - 3 day turnaround...bass is fine checked serial number on authenticity certificate to serial number on bass..don't match, i've got a white Jazz and certificate is for a black Jazz. Last phone call from them 3 weeks ago saying they would get correct certificate for my Jazz but so far nothing, i know everythings kinda sluggish with the covid but for all it takes to send an update on whats happening can't be hard. Utter rubbish service worst i've ever came accross

PMT have a stupid policy where if you order something over the phone you can only speak to the person who took your order in the event that you have any issues. If that person is on holiday, or just has a day off, when you ring they won’t let you speak to anyone else.

Infuriating.

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Well lucky you! I emailed John several times, and he even acknowledged that he’d received at least one of those emails in a thread elsewhere on this forum, but still no reply. Guess he has his favourites, but not sure what I did other than buy preamps from him and constantly promote his products here and elsewhere to earn the disrespect :(  

You must have been unlucky - he has always been awesomely helpful 

Top service from Neotech. First one of mine started to split where the foam meets to rubber at the horn end, so bought another as I’d had a couple of years and a lot of use from it. The replacement failed within 8 months, so I emailed them about the warranty and mentioned that it was the replacement for the other which lasted much longer. Lovely lady on the other end of the emails in America said they’ve since changed the design and they haven’t been sent to UK distributors yet, send me address and she’ll get one in the post, and I just need to destroy mine and send a photo of it. Two days later, two brand new ones land on my doormat and I haven’t had to even consider using the second one yet. 

Mesa Boogie/Bass Gallery - I've told this tale before but it's appropriate for this thread.

I bought a pair of Subway 15" cabs as soon as they came out. Due to the way production works there, I received the first one in November and the second in the February after. I thought I'd wait until I had the pair before I ran the full rig up and immediately noticed that there was a rattle on the first delivered cab. I checked the tightness of all the screws (it was similar to a rattling grille) but it persisted. It became apparent that the fault lay with the speaker. Gently pushing on the cone gave no indication of an issue there (I was checking to feel if there was any grating from a misalignment). Eventually, it was evident that the speaker was the issue and Mesa agreed to change the speaker. They arranged to send a new speaker over so they could be swapped over.

The cab was bought through Bass Gallery and the speaker was due on a Saturday. This was the same day that the guy in the shop was going ion holiday. Entirely for my benefit, he came into the shop and waited, with me, for it to arrive. When it did (already close to the time he needed to leave) we removed the old one, only to find the rattle was caused by a block of 4 staples that had fallen out of the gun (the operator had clearly refilled it during the process of fixing the wadding). On removing the staples, it was apparent all was now fine. We put the cab back together and I went on my way - complete with the spare speaker they had sent over. Given the cost of the cabs I shudder to think how much the speaker was but the level of customer service was off the scale from both Mesa and the Bass Gallery. The chap put his holiday at risk in order to help a customer.

• Like 3