Why become a member? ×

Describe your playing style

FuNkShUi

Finished playing a gig on the weekend, and a couple of guys from the audience said they enjoyed my playing and wondered if i'd come have a pint with them and talk about all things bass.
Always happy to talk about the bass, so we were chatting and he asked where i had learned to play? What equipment i was using? My influences? All the normal things.
Then he asked "How would you describe your playing then?"
I didn't really know how to answer. All the answers i gave were more characteristics of how i sound really (my EQ preferences), not how i play.
Never much thought about it. I'd guess it's heavily influenced by the person who taught me, but i couldn't describe it as such.
What's your playing style? Can you describe it?

Not really. I'm not a technical player in that I don't spend hours working on my technique or practising scales, etc. In fact I'm sure I make loads of 'errors' as far as that goes. I just do whatever is necessary for the song. I've seen guys who do the right thing from the positioning and technique point of view who just don't have very good timing or feel and can't hold a groove, so what do you think is important?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1475488001' post='3146221']
I've seen guys who do the right thing from the positioning and technique point of view who just don't have very good timing or feel and can't hold a groove,[/quote]

Yes, I've seen this also, but one is not a criteria for the other. I have also seen guys with good techniqie who have great timing and groove. A good all round bassist will have both of these attributes..and more.

How would I describe my bass playing ? ...simple..no bells and whistles..but reasonably "solid" at the same time.

All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order...
When I first started playing (back in 1982!) I wanted to be a slap player, and knew this was somehow done with the thumb. So I learned to play (with no lessons or useful stuff like that) by pulling hard with the thumb, and later, fingers as well.
So I've now evolved to do a weird hybrid of slap, pop, thumb pulling and strumming and 3 finger flicking. It feels natural to me but other bass players tend to comment!
I also like to play riffs, usually funky, as opposed to melodic accompaniment. Everybody knows bass is a lead instrument!

Good question

I am a finger plucking player. I play very lightly with very little force unless I'm deliberately digging in to get a certain tone. I like light gauge strings and light basses. I prefer 4-strings. My playing style modulates to fit the music or at least as I see it. So I can funk it up, play a jazz line, play staccato or play sustained. I've played for so long I just need to feel the groove. The better the drummer the better my playing.

"Play the music" would be my style.

This may sound pompous, but I get a lot of compliments.
Davo