Why become a member? ×

Who plays fretless in a rock/pop band?

Waddycall

Sounds like we might be getting the old band back together. Trouble is I’ve recently decided to focus on fretless so sold both my fretted basses. I don’t really want to get any more gear especially as they’re an unreliable bunch. 
so who plays fretless in a rock/pop band and how do you find it in the mix? 

Not in a band... but my Son loves the sound of his Fretless, Drive and Wah, playing more lead, melody.

He feels it's fretless capabilities and difference should be explored more.

He's trying the the Zoom B1 Synth stuff to come up with something...

He asked me how to get a more 'Saxophone Sound' ? Feels the expressiveness can provide an overlap...

Anyone?

• Like 1

Jeez, where to begin. Mick Karn (Japan), David J (Bauhaus/Love and Rockets), Tony Franklin (The Firm etc).

I used a fretless Shergold 6-string fretless in an Irish folky band (Think Pogues) in the early 90’s - but that’s not important right now……..☺️ Wish I had photographic evidence 🙄

• Like 1

I used to play a fretless Shergold Marathon in an originals pop/rock band in the late 80's without issue. I was listening to some tapes from that band decades later and heard a rare slide during a break in rehearsals up until then I had forgotten it was the fretless I used.

• Like 1

I'll more than happily play fretless in pop/ rock. You don't have to "mwaaaah" every note, but when you do it can be special! For a long time my only bass was my first fretless and I used it for classic rock. I now play it occasionally for 2000's indie rock. Just go for it, nobody should be telling you what you can or can't play as long as you're being respectful to the song and the band.

• Like 6

And Jack Bruce (Cream), Alain Caron (Uzeb, Mike Stern, ...), Steve DiGiorgio (Death, ...), Mark Egan (Pat Metheny, Claude Nougaro's Nougayork, ...), Percy Jones (Brand X, Tunnels, Brian Eno ...), Bakithi Kumalo (Paul Simon's Graceland), Sting (The Police), Bernard Paganotti (Magma, Francis Cabrel, ...), Jaco Pastorius (Joni Mitchell, Weather Report, ...) and Bill Wyman (The Rolling Stones).

And many more.

• Like 3