Why become a member? ×

Who plays fretless in a rock/pop band?

Waddycall

11 hours ago, NickA said:

Fretless was everywhere in the 80s.  Now it's all boring fretted fenders.

Do it! You may start a revival.

I took my son to Andertons yesterday as he wanted to buy a new digital piano. Whilst there, we were looking at the basses and he was asking where are all the fretless basses, surely they must have some fretless basses, maybe they are somewhere else in the shop, why are all these basses fretted he asked. I had to let him know they we are a special rare breed as not many people play or are interested in fretless bass 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So as promised, I did. Not the gig on saturday, that was cancelled, but we picked up another gig for sunday, which I am back from. I figured as I normally play the acrylic bass in the second half, i only needed it for the first half which is mainly the blues and rock bits before we get on to the party stuff int he second half.

Well, turns out I enjoyed playing it so much I just carried on, and as there weren't many people there, didn't seem much point using the acrylic as it is largely for show.

Some songs I found it actually seemed to make easier. There were a few that were tricky, the ones I normally use a plectrum for, not using that on a GWB35, anything that needed a longer sustain not as good. but most where, and the ones I thought might be tricky - all right now top bit at the 17th fret up was actually pretty good.

In the end was good too - as I play the piano with one hand and the bass with the other, it was handy that it was actually up more because of the lighter pressure thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2