Why become a member? ×

When provenance is not enough (in my view)

Clarky

The Bass Gallery have a 1961 Jazz Bass for sale from the octogenarian (ahem) jazz bass player Jim Richardson. While I am sure he has a wonderful reputation and back catalogue, is that reason enough to pay £9k for a beat-up, over-sprayed (seemingly in bitumen), modded (non-original electronics and fretboard) bass that looks like its been in a fire? Maybe I am being unkind but the pricing seems WAY off to me.

https://thebassgallery.com/products/fender-jazz-bass-1961-ex-jim-richardson

Screenshot_20221106_173147.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The provenance thing only really works (with the odd exception) for electric guitars and basses played on popular songs or that featured on prominent photographs/videos. Even then unless there's some sort of artist star factor you're not looking at much more.

This one would be worth more stripped and stained than in its current state.

• Like 1

Sign of the times.  Everyone is trying to get top money for anything they can rustle up a vintage story for.  I still can't believe what people appear to pay for 70's Fenders and 80's Squires etc.  Mental, but then so is the property market, the jobs market etc etc and we all seem happy to just muddle along....

• Like 4

Personally I wouldn't spend a tenth of that on any bass anymore no matter what but if someone thinks that's what they can get for it then fair enough. In the current economic climate i think it might hang about for a bit. Anyway, here's Jim playing with the band If from 1971

• Like 3