Why become a member? ×

The most versatile 5 String £2k budget

AJC08

Hi guys

I need some advice. 

I have around a £2k budget for the most versatile 5 string I can find. I would be looking at active basses specifically (passive switch or option preferred as well) and around £750 for an amp. 

I'm playing everything from Tool, Tesseract sort of stuff right they way through to classic soul, blues and acoustic folk. Hence the need for something that can do it all. 

I've been looking at Warwicks, stingrays, all forms of active jazz styles, literally the lot and I just can't pick what would be able to really do everything I'd need from one main instrument. Oh I'm really not a pbass guy so that's out of the question for me. 

Any help for all would be really appreciated as I want this to be my forever instrument hahah! 

Thanks! 

Most basses are versatile. 

My problem has generally been that a lot of times I have been in groups where the band leader really wants a bass that is either a Fender or looks really like a Fender. If I didn't bring something like that to the initial rehearsal then there was the chance that I wouldn't get the gig. It is absolutely ridiculous but it does happen and has cost me money in the past when I didn't bring my old trusted Fender Precision to the initial try out rehearsal. The reverse happens as well ('oh god, not another Fender!') but is less common in my experience. 

For example, I didn't get a gig in a Black Sabbath/Deep Purple cover band because apparently my bass didn't look right and they wanted something that looked like a Fender, despite the fact that Roger Glover has played a Vigier Excess for decades and the bass that I brought to the initial rehearsal was...my Vigier Excess. 

If you don't anticipate that kind of thing being an issue then just get whatever you like. Rather than specific makes I would consider:
- do you want/need traditional J style pickups in traditional 60s or 70s positions, or do you want/need a humbucker pickup

- how many frets do you need? 

- (if you have a distinct preference) what string spacing do you like?

- do you want/need a two band or three band EQ?
- what kind of radius do you like on the fingerboard (something like a Warwick will have a very flat radius, a traditional Fender jazz type will generally (not always) have a more rounded radius.  

Generally if you are at the 'what should I get stage' then it would be worth trying different makes of basses. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Most basses are versatile. 

My problem has generally been that a lot of times I have been in groups where the band leader really wants a bass that is either a Fender or looks really like a Fender. If I didn't bring something like that to the initial rehearsal then there was the chance that I wouldn't get the gig. It is absolutely ridiculous but it does happen and has cost me money in the past when I didn't bring my old trusted Fender Precision to the initial try out rehearsal. The reverse happens as well ('oh god, not another Fender!') but is less common in my experience. 

For example, I didn't get a gig in a Black Sabbath/Deep Purple cover band because apparently my bass didn't look right and they wanted something that looked like a Fender, despite the fact that Roger Glover has played a Vigier Excess for decades and the bass that I brought to the initial rehearsal was...my Vigier Excess. 

If you don't anticipate that kind of thing being an issue then just get whatever you like. Rather than specific makes I would consider:
- do you want/need traditional J style pickups in traditional 60s or 70s positions, or do you want/need a humbucker pickup

- how many frets do you need? 

- (if you have a distinct preference) what string spacing do you like?

- do you want/need a two band or three band EQ?
- what kind of radius do you like on the fingerboard (something like a Warwick will have a very flat radius, a traditional Fender jazz type will generally (not always) have a more rounded radius.  

Generally if you are at the 'what should I get stage' then it would be worth trying different makes of basses. 

Yep! Get out there and try some. The ideal, all round bass is going to be a combination of tones and ergonomics, with maybe looks coming in 3rd.

• Like 2

For £2k you should be able to get a really nice secondhand 5 string. 

If you want something versatile, then personally I would go for an active jazz. As @thodrik notes above, something with a Fender vibe will never look out of place on any gig you're doing and will give the band leader a nice fuzzy feeling of recognition! 

Anything with a good pre-amp and twin pups should work fine, for the cash you have you're surely looking at mid to high range high volume manufacturers, Fender, Sadowski, Lakland, Sandberg, Yamaha... If the Jazz bass look is important they'll all have something for you.

Warwick, MusicMan SR5 or Bongo, or the like if you'd like something with a different look.

You'd need to decide what bass ergonomics suit you, scale length, neck profile etc.

The marketplace is your friend here, some great all-rounders on there right now well within your budget.

4 hours ago, WinterMute said:

Anything with a good pre-amp and twin pups should work fine, for the cash you have you're surely looking at mid to high range high volume manufacturers, Fender, Sadowski, Lakland, Sandberg, Yamaha... If the Jazz bass look is important they'll all have something for you.

The Xotic jazz basses are well worth adding to that list as well. Mike Lull basses are supposed to be excellent if you can find one. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a 4 string Fender Deluxe Active Jazz (US version) which I could coax pretty much anything from, not sure if they do a fiver but if so that’s where I’d start my search. I’d say similar with an HH Stingray.

Edit - an outsider might be a Yamaha 735.

And that £750 for an amp - Ashdown ABM600.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

When I bought a G&L 2500 I was amazed at the sounds I could get out of it.

It has two humbuckers which can be put in parallel, or series mode.

You can have any sound from a fat Precision on neck pickup, Jazz bass on series mode (good Jaco sound on back pickup), or Stingray on parallel mode through the rear pickup.

It's also active and has a bass and treble boost.

When people talk about the 2500, the first word that comes to mind is versatile.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, gjones said:

When people talk about the 2500, the first word that comes to mind is versatile.

Totally agree with this ^^.
It has “hot”, responsive pickups and the active/passive switch enables passive mode to be used even with a dead battery. This might seem trivial, but it’s a lifesaver in a gig situation if you forget to check the status of the battery before the set.

I just don’t care for the bat-wing (bottle opener) headstock on standard current  models.

5 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Such a subjective question - but I've seen a good few second hand ACGs go for under 2k. With the John East Pre installed they are extremely versatile and top notch build quality.

But again, try as many basses as you can and I'm sure you'll find one.

Thats a good shout, I have an ACG fretless thats out of this world, but it's well above your budget.

I'd be wary of the filter pre-amp though, takes some getting used to. I think it's a versatile pre in many ways, but the East standard semi-parametric pre is a good option.

Alan's Standard builds may be in reach of your budget.

On 15/08/2022 at 18:06, Lozz196 said:

I had a 4 string Fender Deluxe Active Jazz (US version) which I could coax pretty much anything from, not sure if they do a fiver but if so that’s where I’d start my search. I’d say similar with an HH Stingray.

Edit - an outsider might be a Yamaha 735.

And that £750 for an amp - Ashdown ABM600.

Great call on both counts!

I've owned both and both will do all that shiz.

If you’re going to spend £2k on a 5-string, you have to try a load out.  Worth a day in a shop if you’re near to one.

Stingray V is my favourite.

I’ll have to edit this - I was trying out a load of basses a couple of years back, and the Stingray was still my favourite, although nothing beat the low B on the Dingwalls.  If I was considering another 5, it would be a Dingwall. 

Edited by garyt