Why become a member? ×

Lost My Main Gig

stewblack

Sad day for me. My main band, which has a hugely ambitious, hard working BL, is getting back into the swing. 

I have been diagnosed with a condition which, in a nutshell,  means I could be off the board any day, any time. I may be better able to predict it on future but not right now. 

So quite rightly they can't go ahead not knowing if I'll turn up or not. Really gutted as she's a pro and got me a ton of work last year  Great voice, hard worker, and great with an audience. I've been around long enough to know how rare they are. 

Very kindly said that my place will be kept for me (my dep is the bands drummer) but the drum dep is a seriously good player so I can see the new line up settling in really well. 

I am now reduced to a couple of hobby bands where the others all have proper jobs. 

I'm not getting down about it. I live by a 12 step program which is based around accepting what life is, and not mithering over what I wish it was. 

Still a massive set back nonetheless. 

• Sad 25

Bummer, Stew. I don’t know you, but somehow I feel very fond of you, because  you make me laugh and you are very honest about your ups and downs.

I hope your health issues get resolved somehow so that you can return to playing, because I can see how much it means to you.

• Thanks 1

A Reality Check for us all, as there comes a point where this happens to everyone, some sooner than others. Too soon for you, old chum, which is a shame; make the best of what you can do, for as long as you can. That's about as good as it gets for all of us. Special kudos for the Positive Attitude; that's an example for others to follow. :hi:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can only echo the thoughts of others Stew. 

Make the most of what you can do and, like you say, try not to worry about what you can't. 

I've not met you but from your posts on here and your conduct when we we're both trying to buy that Aerodyne P, I can tell you're a stella fella so hopefully karma will give you a break. 

Wishing you all the best mate. 👍

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear this, however your awesome, non-selfish attitude will see you through. All the best with everything that’s going on and hoping you get back to where you want to be real soon. Good luck and best wishes!

• Thanks 1

I played with one of my 'part time' bands yesterday. Boy was that good therapy. Mellow set with a couple of the guys out, so drummer used cajon and I stripped back to more rythmic, basic playing. We were outside early start and finish, and a largish crowd were sat relaxing in the sun and were highly appreciative.

When I get on top of this something else will come along, just need patience.

IMG_20200719_130245.jpg

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 18/07/2020 at 13:26, stewblack said:

I have been diagnosed with a condition which, in a nutshell,  means I could be off the board any day, any time.

. . . . . . and you may not. How much notice does this condition give you? Up until now how many "twinges" have you had? You just need to get a good dep and keep on keeping on.

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

. . . . . . and you may not. How much notice does this condition give you? Up until now how many "twinges" have you had? You just need to get a good dep and keep on keeping on.

Sadly Chris until I understand the condition, what limits it puts on me, that decision is out of my hands. Even folk who've had it for years and have worked out how to live a virtually normal life can wake up one morning and just like that, realise they're going nowhere that day. 

Band leader can't organise around me if she never knows I'm going to be there or not. 

But for now she is talking deps and waiting for me to 'get better ' - if only it were that simple. 

Time will tell, meanwhile they're cracking on without me. 

• Like 1