Why become a member? ×

are you precious about your bass

la bam

Just thought id ask as this issue came around again with me after buying a new bass....

When I got my first few basses they were second hand and well used. They used to sit in the house unprotected not on stands and picked up whenever for a play. They had dints all over them and I didn't care.

Then I got an immaculate fender isa p bass. And I couldn't have looked after it more. It lived in its hard case, was only used in clear spaces so it could get bashed.

I did 3 years in a band before the drummer pointed out that I needed to get some dings and bashes on the bass for it to be a 'proper' rock n roll bass (all be it tongue in cheek - more a laugh at how protective I was of it).

Then I Did get a ding in the headstock, and forever more it bugged me until I sold it 7 years later!

I've since had 3 different basses that didnt really bother me, but now I have a metallic red Yamaha I've noticed I would absolitely hate any kind of scratch or ding in out!

Does anyone else get this on certain basses?! They prob should get dings in them if they're gigging instruments!

I'm a bit like this on my Fender USA Jazz. Bought immaculate and kept as such until I caught it with another bass (and no, I don't mean she was being unfaithful lol) so now there's a 1cm graze on the edge. It's pearl blizzard to not that noticeable, but I notice it. I keep thinking I should try and touch it up (OMG the innuendos are coming thick and fast ... there I go again!)

Not to that extent...I look after them and service them regularly... but I don't mind a ding if accumulated during putting them to work, but that doesn't mean I want some p*** taking liberties, so I don't let anyone bar people I feel I can vouch for, play them... and by invite only.

I am a bit like that and it does bug me when a bass gets dinged. When I'm not playing them, they are in their cases or on a stand. I'd be the sad git who'd refinish a relic'd 60's P-Bass :lol:

My US standard Precision has a few chips and scrapes here and there as a result of gigs in small spaces, the most serious happened when the drummer knocked the bass over while it was resting against my amp & cab, but now I look on them fondly as reminders of gigs past. It still sounds and plays great!

Keep it nice and clean,well set up and try to be careful, but not precious about scrathes,small dings and wear and tear in the line of duty.
Was a bit miffed when the drummer walked into and knocked my us jazz off its stand at a rehearsal once though but nothing broken fortunately.

I absolutely detest any kind of dings or marks and it's not the first time I've been looking at a bass on here or Ebay and spotted a ding and walked away

There have been times when I've looked at the damage on some basses and wondered how they managed to get so badly looked after. It is a tool to do a job but you don't go out of your way to dent your car or break a window of your house so that it looks well used

Much as said above - all mine are second hand and and have minor chips and scratches, mostly at the back and edges where they're not visible when I'm playing anyway, and while I do take very good care of them, another odd little knock in the line of duty wouldn't bother me too much. Anything conspicuous would upset me though.

The latest is immaculate and (for now at least) the littlest dint would really hurt. Otoh she's far too beautiful to live shut up in a case.

Matthew Crawford (philosopher and restorer of vintage motorcyles) tells the story of a friend taking delivery of a gleaming new bike, and immediately picking up a handful of gravel and throwing it at the petrol tank, to the horror of his assembled friends. When asked why, he said "I can ride it now and not worry about it".

However I absolutely do not get deliberately "relic'd" basses, any more than I get factory-ripped jeans or "shabby chic" furniture. YMMV.

There's a related question, buying a bass you haven't seen, as to how honest the photographs are. I was impressed by Fanny's House in Nashville - the photos of my Jazz Aerodyne on their web page pointed out all the little nicks and scratches and actually made it look worse than it is. I did go in and play it before buying it, and had to hunt for some of the dings they had shown.

Honest playwear is fine. I used to tour (full flight case) my 60s Fenders and a bash here and there wasn't a problem. It's sort of natural to some extent, particularly as I'm very clumsy.

But purposefully basing up a guitar is a bit silly really. It just looks fake and is easy to spot.

I'm kinda in between. I always take good care of my basses and everyone comments on how great they look for instruments that get regular play. However, if one gets a bit of a ding, well that's life/entropy. I can't help feeling that if that's the worst thing that happens in a week or if that's the worst thing I have to worry about then life can't be too bad, can it.

well, I look after my basses and do what i can to avoid getting in dangerous situations, won't lend it to any random person I don't trust, etc... but things happen and I don't get too worried about it. I accept my instrument will acquire some (small) marks and scratches, but I will try to delay those events as much as possible, within reason.

Yes and no. I take care of my basses and do my best to ensure that they don't get damaged, but unless you keep them mounted in glass display cabinets and never play them, then the odd ding and dent is inevitable. And if they get too battered, then that is what all the great refinishing services are there for.

In the past, I was ridiculously precious about them to the extent that I would be put off them if they had a dink. I would keep thinking about the dinks to the point of distraction. It was crazy. I am still very careful with my instruments as I do treasure them but, I'm not as precious as I was. I have an exclusion zone on stage though, which especially applies to my singer ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I got a brand new US Fender Dlx Dimension 5 about 3 months ago. There were 3 small dinks on it - on the heal, the headstock and the truss rod wheel. They bothered me for about 24 hours and then I treated them like birth marks. My Vigier came to me "new" and had 4 dinks which really annoyed me but again, I now look at them as part of the make up of the bass. All my basses and guitars are cleaned / looked after regularly, and always put away in a case after use. I have promised myself that any further basses I buy, will be 2nd hand. So much easier to deal with any sort of dink / scratch. They were designed to be played and they will get knocked. Since letting go of my over protectiveness, I enjoy the basses so much more :)

Depends. My favourite basses are mostly 70s & 80s MIJ relics and I love their decades of wear & history, so if I occasionally add a few new knocks & scratches that just add to the provenance. These are the ones that get out of the house most often and see the most use.

However, I have a few I've had from new, and one or two older instruments that have survived the decades unscathed - I [i]really[/i] don't like the idea of these getting damaged. I have a 1981 Ibanez RS924 Roadster in near-new condition, and it occurs to me it hasn't been out of its case in about three years!

Things like this make me seriously question the point of owning some of these instruments - but the alternative is to sell them to people who will probably beat the hell out of them! :rolleyes: :lol: