Why become a member? ×

are you precious about your bass

la bam

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1479254165' post='3175187']
My 1992 Jazz Aerodyne has a big deeply scratched patch in the middle of the back - some previous owner obviously played it a lot wearing a big sharp belt buckle. I guess s/he didn't care because nobody else could see it. It makes me sad, but I accept it as part of the guitar's history. I would never let that happen to any of mine though, even if I normally wore flashy belts, which I don't.
[/quote]I have one from new and new and it was stored for a while in an area that was prone to condensation. The bridge, knobs and a little of the machine heads were tarnished and I was gutted at first. I took them all off to replace them then needed the bass fast for a gig. Put them back on and they have stayed on ever since. I love my Aerodyne.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='spencer.b' timestamp='1479638927' post='3177963']
I'm not to picky, I'd take my 66 p bass to any old dive , no stand just leant up against the amp
My basses are there to be played
[/quote]

Mine too... but I want to continue playing them so simply leaning them against an amp is a no-no for me (one of the few times I ignored my own rule, my Stingray fell and got two very annoying dents on the back of the neck :rolleyes: idiot :lol: ... the dents are no longer there as I eventually took the neck to be lacquered as I prefer the feel and the guy removed the dents first with the old damp/heat swelling method)...
I use a Fusion F1 gig bag. It's a very hefty thing, gig bag is not appropriate, it's really a case. I always leave it behind the amps or somewhere else, you can put it upright and unzip one half to take the bass out and put it back... so when I'm not playing it, if it's not on a stand, it is in its case.
Small dings etc happen, I'm not terribly worried... but I'll still treat it with care.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1479485757' post='3176953']
I love my Aerodyne.
[/quote]

Good to find another Aerodyne fan! Mine felt like a detachable body part from the first minute I picked her up. Not many people seem to know about them.

Returning to the op, I'll be deeply upset if my gorgeous immaculate GMR Flow-In ever gets the least little scratch. Otoh I'm not sure I'll ever feel able to gig her anyway, it would feel like turning up in my local pub wearing an evening gown and diamonds. The Aerodyne isn't badly dinged, but just enough that if another ding happens, as long as it isn't too grossly obvious, it will just become part of her history.

Well you want to keep them nice and tidy ... and I find it unbearable when people smash up instruments, like "if you don't want it give it away", but in the end they are tools and (depreciation aside) if they make the right noises, what is the problem.

All my instruments came with dings and dints. My 'cello, (which started life in a cinema pit orchestra) once had a nail put in it to close a crack (now professionally glued) and my double bass looks like it has been in a war zone (followed by a field hospital). The Wal I am careful with as it turns out to be quite valuable and I am being VERY careful with the newly acquired Warwick simply because it looks mint after the last owner had it refurbed and I've heard what Warwick's repair prices are like!

So to the OP; good to be careful and kind to them, but don't get too OCD about it or it spoils the fun,

I'm not too precious about my basses; I look after them, they stay in their cases when not being played, but if they get dinged in the line of duty it's no big problem for me. I personally don't see the point in owning an expensive instrument but leaving it at home and gigging a cheap one (unless in a particularly rowdy venue) but that's just me.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1480193959' post='3182477']
I personally don't see the point in owning an expensive instrument but leaving it at home and gigging a cheap one (unless in a particularly rowdy venue) but that's just me.
[/quote]

I've only had the Flow-In a couple of months. I'll take her out sometime, somewhere safe. I'm certainly not going to gig a conspicuous £3k bass (cost me £950) in a crowded venue in central Manchester and then walk to Piccadilly station with her on my back! The "cheap one" is also a superb instrument to play, but doesn't visually shout "I'm worth stealing".

I'm also, just socially, not comfortable turning up to my local audience with a bass which shouts "I have more disposable income than you". That's nothing to do with the OP, just part of my thinking.

Edited by josie