Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

Of course all music is totally subjective but what I've heard of Jaco Pastorius has been a total let down compared to what I've heard other people say about him*
Granted, I've only heard some of the most well known tracks and to me it was just disjointed... It sounded like I'd just walked into any guitar shop in the world... Aimless noodling...

Anyone got any suggestions that may change my mind?

Edited by AinsleyWalker

Listen to what was there before Jaco and what came afterwards - his influence is/was astounding - he basically took bass playing to another level. You only have to listen to something like "Birdland" to see how music changed.

Admittedly some of his work isn't "easy on the ear" but take the time to listen and it's mind-blowingly good.

Don't listen to Jaco in isolation, but in context. Here's a few; there's much, much more...

Jaco Pastorius – bass on "Coyote", "Hejira", "Black Crow", and "Refuge of the Roads" (... [i]but the other tracks are ace, too..![/i])

1. 0:00 - Coyote
2. 05:01 - Amelia
3. 11:02 - Furry Sings The Blues
4. 16:09 - A Strange Boy
5. 20:28 - Hejira
6. 27:09 - Song For Sharon
7. 35:47 - Black Crow
8. 40:10 - Blue Motel Room
9. 45:14 - Refuge Of The Roads

[media]http://youtu.be/6If65D_DXS4[/media]

Don't listen to the bass; listen to the music. B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1449497315' post='2924021']
Listen to what was there before Jaco and what came afterwards - his influence is/was astounding - he basically took bass playing to another level. You only have to listen to something like "Birdland" to see how music changed.

Admittedly some of his work isn't "easy on the ear" but take the time to listen and it's mind-blowingly good.
[/quote]

He was our Hendrix - regardless of whether you think he was a genius or a hack you can't deny the fact that he totally reinvented our instrument and that almost every single 'big name' player today takes influence from him in one form or another.

You can't deny his influence, he completely changed the face of bass playing (along with Stanley Clarke) and while his work with Joni Mitchell is truly excellent and should be compulsory listening for any bass player, I find some of his work just leaves me cold.

But that's just my opinion, one man's meat, it would be a fully old world, there's no accounting for taste, there's nowt as queer as folk and never wipe yer arse with a broken bottle.

Edited by discreet

I can totally understand why people don't get him. But as others have said, there was before Jaco, and after. He totally, and utterly changed people's conception of the bass guitar.

I remember my one tutti telling me how blown away he was when he first heard him play. He and many others spent weeks shut in at home trying to work out what Jaco was doing.

Hi groove, admittedly not something I'm into, was amazing, listen to come on come over, off his debut album for instance.

It's his inventiveness and melodicism that I love though.

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449496563' post='2923995']
Of course all music is totally subjective but what I've heard of Jaco Pastorius has been a total let down compared to what I've heard from word of mouth.
[/quote]

So, are you saying that you liked Jaco and his Word of Mouth project,
but didn't like his solo offerings?
That's understandable, I suppose.

Some of his sideman playing was great (as posted as above).
He certainly shook up the world of Bass.
A fan here.

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1449500861' post='2924097']
A game-changer - a true genius.

Even so, I can't bear to listen to most of his recorded material.
[/quote]

That's pretty much the same as me.

I get that he was a massive influence on many many bassists. But, personally, I can't stand his playing...

I think the Hendrix comparison is pretty much spot on.
For me I'd say they're both a bit like a Ferrari Daytona - the modern equivalent has obviously progressed significantly and is more sophisticated and refined and even a modern family hatchback (or bedroom YouTube bassist if you will) can outperform it in many areas. The original however just has something - call it mojo if you like - that is harder to recreate.
Personally, being more into rock than jazz, I find Jimi more accessible than Jaco but that's probably more down to genre than playing. That said I'm quite liking his son Felix's playing right now!

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1449501575' post='2924108']
I think the Hendrix comparison is pretty much spot on.
For me I'd say they're both a bit like a Ferrari Daytona - the modern equivalent has obviously progressed significantly and is more sophisticated and refined and even a modern family hatchback (or bedroom YouTube bassist if you will) can outperform it in many areas. The original however just has something - call it mojo if you like - that is harder to recreate.
Personally, being more into rock than jazz, I find Jimi more accessible than Jaco but that's probably more down to genre than playing. That said I'm quite liking his son Felix's playing right now!
[/quote]

Felix is a hell of a player! I recently did an email with him if of interest:

http://simonpoulton.tumblr.com

And yes, Jaco was really all that, his facility was incredible, his composition and ear was amazing too. Do I like his entire output, no of course not.
There's a few videos of him playing Piano too, beautiful playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBhoDaS5SKQ

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1449503163' post='2924132']

And yes, Jaco was really all that, his facility was incredible, his composition and ear was amazing too. Do I like his entire output, no of course not.
There's a few videos of him playing Piano too, beautiful playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBhoDaS5SKQ

Si
[/quote]

Throw in his arranging chops as well, quite a rounded musician.
Thanks for the link, not stumbled on that before.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1449497447' post='2924024']
I still haven't got round to listening to anything he did :unsure:
[/quote]
I've tried in the past but he's just not someone i can listen to, but that's my tastes, just as i can't listen to the likes or victor wooten in big doses or mark king at all.
this is an interesting debate, in some places you will be crucified for saying you don't like him.

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1449499995' post='2924084']
You can't deny his influence, he completely changed the face of bass playing (along with Stanley Clarke) and while his work with Joni Mitchell is truly excellent and should be compulsory listening for any bass player, I find some of his work just leaves me cold.
[/quote]

+1.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1449500861' post='2924097']
A game-changer - a true genius.

Even so, I can't bear to listen to most of his recorded material.
[/quote]

I agree. Most of his recorded material leaves me cold. Though, when you think about it, it is an odd thing to say about a genius and a game changer. It seems to be a contradiction in terms. :blink: Jamerson was also a game changer and a genius, but you seldom here the same comments about him.