Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1450310451' post='2931679']

I remember when Heavy Weather was released. I almost gave up playing.After hearing Jaco, I was like; "What's the use"

Blue
[/quote]

I have gone through loads of Jaco phases in the last 20 years, each time I learn a bit more but I know I'm not gifted. He was, it's good enough for me just to pick up something new every time I listen.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1450390707' post='2932416']

I have gone through loads of Jaco phases in the last 20 years, each time I learn a bit more but I know I'm not gifted. He was, it's good enough for me just to pick up something new every time I listen.
[/quote]

Good point,the sad truth is these bass heroes invest a lot more into it than most of us.And I mean a whole lot more. And probably made sacrifices and took risks we were to afraid to take.

And along with that the bass guitar comes to some people a lot easier than others. And then there are those born with a gift.

Me, I've had to struggle and work hard for every note,every line,every riff and every lick.

Blue

Edited by blue

I've always been hot and cold on his solo stuff, was really impressed by his Weather Report stuff (especially his grooves when he wasn't soloing), but his work with Joni - Hijiera and Mingus in particular - was absolutely mind-blowing to me. I still get chills when I listen to Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, and I bought that record around 1982, I think.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1450100186' post='2929528']Anyway, after reading the sleeve notes about his life and very tragic death at the age of just 35, I decided to read the Wiki page about him and was absolutely horrified to hear how he died at the hands of a Bouncer at a local music club in Florida.

What makes the tragic story even worse is that the guy who killed him only served 4 months in prison for committing such an awful crime!![/quote]

Wikipedia is an odd place. It is supposed to present a neutral point of view on subjects but by its very nature it can't. When you're dealing with a celebrity who has a large fan base it becomes very difficult to achieve balance on emotive subjects.

Jaco was denied entry to a nightclub because he was drunk. According to the bouncer, Jaco turned aggressive and started to hit him. One retaliatory punch knocked him to the floor and it was hitting the pavement that fractured his skull. The bouncer was charged with 2nd degree murder but convicted of involuntary manslaughter, sentenced to 22 months but released after 8 months (4 of which had been served before trial).

The sentence given is similar to those received in the UK for comparable incidents.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1450437088' post='2932756']Jaco was denied entry to a nightclub because he was drunk. According to the bouncer, Jaco turned aggressive and started to hit him. One retaliatory punch knocked him to the floor and it was hitting the pavement that fractured his skull. The bouncer was charged with 2nd degree murder but convicted of involuntary manslaughter, sentenced to 22 months but released after 8 months (4 of which had been served before trial).

The sentence given is similar to those received in the UK for comparable incidents.
[/quote]
I thought it was generally accepted that the bouncer (Luc Havan) was incredibly fortunate (if that's the right word) to get off so lightly, given the extent of Jaco's injuries vs. Luc Havan's 'one punch' line..

I wasn't there. But I have seen facial injuries that people have sustained from falling onto a pavement and they looked far worse than you'd expect.

Jaco was an amazing bass player who wrote some amazing music. He was also very ill and on a downward spiral of self-destruction. If it hadn't been Havan it would have been someone else.