Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1449937732' post='2928196']

If you are as accomplished a player as you seem to be insinuating, I am genuinely surprised that you are that unaware of JP. I am not suggesting every bass player should have to take a test or be able to play a flawless version of Teen Town before they are allowed to take a gig, but I thought that they might at least be aware of one of the most influential and celebrated bass players ever! Might be an age thing…!
[/quote]

Could be an age thing, I'm 42 but I don't know at what age I'm supposed to like him.
I'd agree it's more a genre thing. Jazz fusion, or whatever you want to call that style of music, repels me. I have no interest in listening to it or researching it so why should I know somebody who plays it? I've tried to like Stanley Clarke a couple of times in the past because I foolishly bought into this idea that I should listen to these 'gods' but it just makes me not want to play bass or ensure that I never play anything that sounds similar, so it's better for me to not listen to a genre that repels me.
Most of the hereos lauded on here are similar in that I have heard of them and encountered their music at points in my life but have absolutely no desire to give them any more of my listening time. If I don't like their music then why would I?
I'll rock the boat by saying these people include Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Geddy, Billy Sheehan, the Dream Theatre bloke, Les Claypool, Victor Wooten, Chris Squire, Mark King, there are others but you get the idea. If this makes me ignorant, stupid, uninformed or whatever insult makes folks feel better then that's fine.
I'll just keep listening to music that I love and inspires me and keep playing what's in my heart and soul.
If that's OK with everyone :)

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1449952461' post='2928389']
Could be an age thing, I'm 42 but I don't know at what age I'm supposed to like him.
I'd agree it's more a genre thing. Jazz fusion, or whatever you want to call that style of music, repels me. I have no interest in listening to it or researching it so why should I know somebody who plays it? I've tried to like Stanley Clarke a couple of times in the past because I foolishly bought into this idea that I should listen to these 'gods' but it just makes me not want to play bass or ensure that I never play anything that sounds similar, so it's better for me to not listen to a genre that repels me.
Most of the hereos lauded on here are similar in that I have heard of them and encountered their music at points in my life but have absolutely no desire to give them any more of my listening time. If I don't like their music then why would I?
I'll rock the boat by saying these people include Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Geddy, Billy Sheehan, the Dream Theatre bloke, Les Claypool, Victor Wooten, Chris Squire, Mark King, there are others but you get the idea. If this makes me ignorant, stupid, uninformed or whatever insult makes folks feel better then that's fine.
I'll just keep listening to music that I love and inspires me and keep playing what's in my heart and soul.
[/quote]
Where's the like button?

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1449952461' post='2928389']
[/quote]
very much this ^^

I've been playing bass for the best part of 15 years, and whilst i'd heard of Jaco, i hadn't listened to him until this thread appeared.
I gave him a go and I simply don't like Jazz, or him, and on that basis i have little or no intention of listening to him again. Talented he may be, but i just don't like it. If it makes me ignorant, then fine, my path is different to Jaco's and i'm happy with that.

music is a subjective thing. The OP in my view, was trying to understand and learn what is appealing about him. He didn't come across as a troll to 99% of the people on this thread, and the reaction by some has probably made it less likely that he will give Jaco a try.

I've just given Teen Town a listen as I've never heard it before, it's just reinforced my view even more.
It's not just the bass either, I was ready to turn it off before the bass even came in such is my dislike for this type of music but I kept going, even had a second listen to make sure but only got half way through.
It sounded like the backing music to a tense stake out scene in Cagney and Lacey or some other 70's cop show, either that or just a two and a half minute intro to a song that never arrived.
This isn't a childish rant but truly what it sounded like to me.
I don't think I'll be converted any time soon and I'm happy not to take inspiration from it.
I gave it a go though :)

For those not familar with the tune, here's 'Teen Town', live ...

[media]http://youtu.be/I63bOi477cA[/media]

Quite good, as noodling goes, and it gets better as it progresses right up to a blistering climax. Hot stuff, from all of 'em ... :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1449961927' post='2928470']

Quite good, as noodling goes, and it gets better as it progresses right up to a blistering climax. Hot stuff, from all of 'em ... :mellow:
[/quote]

The studio version is substantially shorter.

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1449962688' post='2928479']
I acknowledge the technical skill needed to play this kind of thing, I just don't understand why, after putting all those years of work into your technique, you'd use it to play that? Technique is a means, not an end.
[/quote]
I love curries, my favourite food...you cannot beat a good curry is what I always say. My best friend on the other hand hates Indian food and prefers good old fish n chips. He cannot understand why Indian chef's waste their undoubted ability & craft to waste their time blending all of of those wonderful spices and ingredients into a food source as objectionable as curry.

I also really enjoy Weather Report & Jaco (preferably as a collective) - my friend prefers AC/DC.

I'm right, he's right....

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1449963441' post='2928483']

I love curries, my favourite food...you cannot beat a good curry is what I always say. My best friend on the other hand hates Indian food and prefers good old fish n chips. He cannot understand why Indian chef's waste their undoubted ability & craft to waste their time blending all of of those wonderful spices and ingredients into a food source as objectionable as curry.

I also really enjoy Weather Report & Jaco (preferably as a collective) - my friend prefers AC/DC.

I'm right, he's right....
[/quote]

I quite like all of this.

But i also like fish curry too.....

If you dig jazz, it's likely you'll dig Jaco! If you don't dig jazz, then, maybe you won't!
For all those out there that really want to improve and become well rounded bass players, then, analysis and study of some of Jaco's work is pretty much essential. He really was "all that"!

Edited by SteveK

[/quote] I'm sorry but I could pull a better song out of my a$$. I'd rather listen to paint drying

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449913739' post='2927872']

After 40 plus years of 4 hour shows every night you must be better than someone that only started a week ago surely?! Lol
[/quote]

Maybe, I don't like the the phrase "better than". And years playing doesn't always mean much.

There are bass players that have been playing poorly for 40 years and some that are super accomplished after 5 years. Depends on how much you put into it.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1449971531' post='2928522']
I'm sorry but I could pull a better song out of my a$$. I'd rather listen to paint drying
[/quote]

Post something where we can hear you playing with that level of chops and skill and your comment will be taken seriously.

Blue

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1449971654' post='2928524']
I guess I'm not a well rounded player despite playing a wide variety of styles for the past 30 years in dozens of bands :D
[/quote]

I've got 50 years into this. It doesn't mean I'm well rounded.

Blue

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1449970781' post='2928515']
If you dig jazz, it's likely you'll dig Jaco! If you don't dig jazz, then, maybe you won't!
For all those out there that really want to improve and become well rounded bass players, then, analysis and study of some of Jaco's work is pretty much essential. He really was "all that"!
[/quote]

I'm not well versed in jazz but I think I know when player is "all that" and Jaco was plus a little more of stuff most of us will never understand.

Blue

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1449962688' post='2928479']
I acknowledge the technical skill needed to play this kind of thing, I just don't understand why, after putting all those years of work into your technique, you'd use it to play that? Technique is a means, not an end.
[/quote]

What are you talking about? Please explain because to me your comment makes no sense.

Blue

[/quote]

Nice clip, and yeah I'll say it. If you don't recognize his gift and talent;

"Houston we have a problem"

Blue

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1449960618' post='2928455']
I've just given Teen Town a listen as I've never heard it before, it's just reinforced my view even more.
It's not just the bass either, I was ready to turn it off before the bass even came in such is my dislike for this type of music but I kept going, even had a second listen to make sure but only got half way through.
It sounded like the backing music to a tense stake out scene in Cagney and Lacey or some other 70's cop show, either that or just a two and a half minute intro to a song that never arrived.
This isn't a childish rant but truly what it sounded like to me.
I don't think I'll be converted any time soon and I'm happy not to take inspiration from it.
I gave it a go though :)
[/quote]

You might want to consider selling your gear.

Blue