Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449784222' post='2926894']

Suggesting (telling) people that do not like Jaco that they must be crap players themselves and that you can't comment until your skill level is at a level suitable to comment when you are commenting yourself (strongly) would in itself infer that you see your own ability of a level higher than those you feel should not comment, that infers that you have decided that you are a better player than those people that you do not feel have reached your required level of skill to comment.
[/quote]

It's not all that serious really. My only real issue was with the "aimless noodling" phrase. I don't like it and I think there could have been a better choice of words. But that's just me.

All of my "you might want to pick a different instrument and not play bass stuff" was more for drama to support my position.

I don't know where I rate as a player. I have nights when I'm "on fire" and think I should be on tour with a big international headliner.

And I have nights where I feel I haven't progressed any further beyond my abilities as a teen rocker and should give it up.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449785759' post='2926929']
I don't know where I rate as a player. I have nights when I'm "on fire" and think I should be on tour with a big international headliner.

And I have nights where I feel I haven't progressed any further beyond my abilities as a teen rocker and should give it up.
[/quote]
Anyone who says they've never had nights like those is a bloody liar :lol:

ps. *Rainey :D

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449776405' post='2926785']
I'm not sure how my opinion on a bass player can be dumb just because you don't agree with it. Juvenile logic.
My opinion would be dumb had I tried to judge Jaco without hearing anything he played, alas I have and therefore I'm entitled to form an opinion on what I've heard. By your thinking, a lot of here have stupid opinions.

Why is it weird that people are standing up against someone? He does this on almost EVERY thread he gets involved in, I think it's spot on that people who are sick of it tell him. There's another thread about Paul McCartney and guess what, he's in an argument almost identical to this where he's accused people of being trolls and he's told people they should stop playing bass just as he has here. And like this thread, he has a whole host of people mocking him for his personal attacks. A mod even got involved and told him to stop, he takes things too far.

For a man of his age he's acting like a total child on here
[/quote]

Ok, replace 'dumb' with 'uninformed' - my mistake. And yes, that does mean some people have uninformed opinions on here, and some can offer insight based on experience and knowledge. I still think an informed opinion is better than an uninformed one. If you think that's juvenile, that's your choice - you are entitled to your opinion.

I see it like this, the guy had a lot of natural talent in those hands of his, he really did have tone in his fingers, the way he hit the harmonics with consistency and strength. I also liked his composition too.

Is he really all that? YES!
Very natural gifted in the hands, did what no one really successfully did before, talented in composition.

Is he for everyone? NO

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1449858001' post='2927611']
There's a touch of the "you don't agree with me, therefore you're uninformed (or dumb)" about this! I'm not uninformed, and I'm not dumb. My taste doesn't align with the Bass Police, but hey, who cares?
[/quote]

Not from me there isn't. I don't think anyone cares whether anyone else likes listening to Jaco or not, and nobody is questioning anyone's musical taste. Some people thought the 'random guitar shop noodling' stuff came across as provocation, in the same way as walking into an artists studio, and shouting about how 'Picasso is a load of old bollocks' will make the artists in that studio think you're obnoxious, and also that you don't know enough about it to have any kind of valid opinion. Not all artists like Picasso, but anyone who loves art will have spent a bit of time studying it, and will understand his cultural and historical importance. See what I'm saying?

Edited by project_c

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1449583309' post='2924836'] Simply stating that the reason that playerX is thought to be great is "obvious", or " because they are great/sublime/game-changing" doesn't help those who do not find it obvious, or otherwise further the debate in any meaningful fashion, often rather leading to an impression of "emperors new clothes" [/quote]

To be honest I think even "reasoned" debate about the merits of a player/band/genre are a bit pointless since someones reaction to music isn't a logical activity and people don't consciously choose what to like and dislike.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1449867969' post='2927716']

Not from me there isn't. I don't think anyone cares whether anyone else likes listening to Jaco or not, and nobody is questioning anyone's musical taste. Some people thought the 'random guitar shop noodling' stuff came across as provocation, in the same way as walking into an artists studio, and shouting about how 'Picasso is a load of old bollocks' will make the artists in that studio think you're obnoxious, and also that you don't know enough about it to have any kind of valid opinion. Not all artists like Picasso, but anyone who loves art will have spent a bit of time studying it, and will understand his cultural and historical importance. See what I'm saying?
[/quote]

I do, agreed.

Blue

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449784222' post='2926894']

Suggesting (telling) people that do not like Jaco that they must be crap players themselves and that you can't comment until your skill level is at a level suitable to comment when you are commenting yourself (strongly) would in itself infer that you see your own ability of a level higher than those you feel should not comment, that infers that you have decided that you are a better player than those people that you do not feel have reached your required level of skill to comment.
[/quote]

With all due respect I'd have to say "No"
to your analysis.I'm not a better player than anyone.

Blue

With respect, no-one said that Jaco's music was a load of old bollocks. I don't particularly enjoy listening to him, in the main, and I do think there's a touch of "emperor's new clothes" about him harmonically, but I never denied his technical skill or influence - whether for good or not is another matter. I do resent the implication that we need to qualify to have an opinion on a matter of taste.

Bored now, let the Bass Police have their way

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1449581826' post='2924817']
How do I put this ?

I can understand how influential he is and appreciate his talent, his legacy, and so on....but that whole headband thing.

Sorry, it just kills it for me.
[/quote]
I have this problem with Jimmy Haslip - love his lines and his playing and his tone ... then i saw him playing a left hander

WITH THE STRINGS ALL UPSIDE DOWN :o :o :o