Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449976999' post='2928533']

Post something where we can hear you playing with that level of chops and skill and your comment will be taken seriously.

Blue
[/quote]

If Delherbert posts a half reasonable cover of almost any song then I will prefer it to teen town so I dont see where the chops or skill need to come into it as long as someone enjoyed it.

Teen town-the short 3 minutes version is still 4 minutes too long, awful.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449977774' post='2928538']
You might want to consider selling your gear.
[/quote]
Will you please give it up with the "if you don't like Jaco you should give up" stuff? It's demeaning and more than a little insulting. Added to which we've heard it (more than) once and it's getting tedious. Yes I'm tetchy this morning.

Ok Blue, you're right. Because I don't like Jaco I'm ignorant and stupid, I'll be going into town later to sell all my gear, fold up my two bands and cancel all the bookings.
Is there any other hobby you could suggest I could try with my obviously limited intelligence? I'm asking you because you appear to know me better than I do and I clearly can't think for myself.
If I did think for myself then I'd only end up thinking stupid things like how arrogant you appear telling people to sell their basses because they don't agree with the majority, but of course that's just me being stupid.

[color=#282828]BTW...it does not necessarily follow that if you like jazz/fusion you will like Jaco. I love, and have been listening to this genre since my teens (I'm now 61) and as I stated earlier in the thread, yes..Jaco was an amazingly talented player, but his music simply does not move me in any way. I much preferred Alphonso Johnson in Weather report.[/color]

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1450006680' post='2928658']
Will you please give it up with the "if you don't like Jaco you should give up" stuff? It's demeaning and more than a little insulting. Added to which we've heard it (more than) once and it's getting tedious. Yes I'm tetchy this morning.
[/quote]
i think if everyone applied the "if you don't like Jaco you should give up" stuff, this forum would become pretty quiet.

I know a few bass players who don't like Jaco which, personally, I don't get. He was the master of his art and I think many here would aspire to be half the player he was but I recognise that what he played isn't going to be everybody's Cappuccino.

There are lots of players I don't like - I'm not going to give up playing just because my taste doesn't conform to somebody else's opinion.

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1449499681' post='2924074']
He was our Hendrix - regardless of whether you think he was a genius or a hack you can't deny the fact that he totally reinvented our instrument and that almost every single 'big name' player today takes influence from him in one form or another.
[/quote]

Bollocks. The vast majority of bass players today don't play Jazz or noodle around, mostly on a fretless, or even play without a pick. I was utterly underwhelmed by Pastorius and in particiular the tedious elevator music of Weather Report. Quite amused by the usual suspects on here who arrogantly claim that someone shouldn't play bass if they can't appreciate Pastorius. They tickle me pink (or possibly blue), since judging by their other posts they're playing in cover or function bands. The typical muso bores who seem to have never written their own material but just mimic others.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH7JBgIHWjs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH7JBgIHWjs[/url]

Edited by chriswareham

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1450006849' post='2928661']
Ok Blue, you're right. Because I don't like Jaco I'm ignorant and stupid, I'll be going into town later to sell all my gear, fold up my two bands and cancel all the bookings.
Is there any other hobby you could suggest I could try with my obviously limited intelligence? I'm asking you because you appear to know me better than I do and I clearly can't think for myself.
If I did think for myself then I'd only end up thinking stupid things like how arrogant you appear telling people to sell their basses because they don't agree with the majority, but of course that's just me being stupid.
[/quote]

Not liking someone does not make anyone ignorant or stupid. However for those who made cutting remarks like" aimless noodling" yes I would say that is an example of being uninformed. but not stupid..saying [i]" I don't get it"[/i] would have been a better choice of words instead of "aimless noodling".

Blue

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1450027526' post='2928896']
The typical muso bores who seem to have never written their own material but just mimic others.[/quote]

If your going to bash those of us who chose to play covers that's ok. Would you like to here my opinion of most local original music?

Blue

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1450012782' post='2928748']
I know a few bass players who don't like Jaco which, personally, I don't get. He was the master of his art and I think many here would aspire to be half the player he was but I recognise that what he played isn't going to be everybody's Cappuccino.

There are lots of players I don't like - I'm not going to give up playing just because my taste doesn't conform to somebody else's opinion.

Thought Police can f*** off!!
[/quote]

No, you shouldn't give up playing. You indicate, "you don't get it" and that's honest and thats fine. Aimless noodling, not fine.

Blue

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1450009213' post='2928705']
i think if everyone applied the "if you don't like Jaco you should give up" stuff, this forum would become pretty quiet.
[/quote]

What people don't like is not the issue here. It's bashing something you know little about as where the "aimless noodling" comment.

To be honest, I'm not into the whole I don't like this player or that player or I don't like this band or that band. in a word, lame.

Blue

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1450029807' post='2928923']
I'm not entirely sure why the mods continue to tolerate Blue's continual trolling. This example is even more obvious than most.
[/quote]

Maybe giving him enough rope to hang himself...

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1450029959' post='2928925']
Well, having listened to some of the posted Jaco bits on this thread, I can honestly say "I don't get it".
[/quote]

An honest and fair response. There a lot about jazz overall that I don't get. however I am not going to say it's [i]"aimless noodling" [/i]because i don't get it.

Blue

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1450006680' post='2928658']
[/quote]

If you don't like Jaco, that's fine, why would I care.

Comments like [i]"aimless noodling" [/i]yeah then I care.

Blue