Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, Jack said:

A bit 'meh' to be honest. We played a 70th birthday which was weird off the bat, but aside from the birthday (ahem) girl herself everybody else there was under 50. 70 isn't like old old, so it's not as if all of her friends her own age were dead or anything. Anyway as it was mostly familes and small children we played really quietly and aside from 2 or 3 people on a few songs towards the end nobody danced or really cared all night long. Still, we got paid a princely sum and ate social club buffet so what can you do?

PXL_20220819_195230594.jpg

PXL_20220819_195245409.jpg

We've done a couple of birthday bashes, one a 70th in a local village hall, and the other an 80th in a trying-slightly-too-hard "gin bar". Both were well-attended, but the former was definitely the more successful of the two - most of the folks there were actually interested in what we were doing, and a small amount of dancing even broke out during the second set (admittedly initiated by Mr Rhythm Guitar's wife and friends, but hey-ho... ). The other was our worst gig ever (so far!), so we'll draw a veil over that one! Funnily enough, we've got another 70th bash coming up in December, which we were asked to do on the strength of the first, and is being held in the same village hall, so it'll be interesting to see how we (and the new material we've added since then) go down this time.

Just for the record, we're all in our 60s, so not too disimilar in age to the audiences at each. And yes, we got paid for both and fed nicely at the first, so can't really complain. 😀

• Like 2

Just returned from an afternoon gig with a decent 7 piece south coast band who were playing outdoors at the New Forest Pride Festival.

Considering the train strike, event was well attended and a good atmosphere.

Unfortunately the band were struggling with a rather poor PA system and a soundman who gave the distinct impression that he’d rather not have been there at all. Only 3 monitors instead of the 6 requested, and no DI for the bass available, (‘sorry mate, it’s broken’) so I had to crank my Vanderkley/Hartke rig way up for the bass to be heard, which in turn meant that it was way too loud on stage. And as there were no monitors for bass player, drummer or keyboards, the backline had a real job trying to hear what was going on.

Apparently it sounded good out front, but on stage it was a real struggle. I was trying to lip read the singer to see what she was singing.

Remember guys, you can submit a technical requirements sheet for a gig to the stage manager, but when you arrive at the gig and find the PA hire company haven’t brought the right gear or some of it is broken it’s a bit late to do much about it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Just returned from an afternoon gig with a decent 7 piece south coast band who were playing outdoors at the New Forest Pride Festival.

Unfortunately the band were struggling with a rather poor PA system and a soundman who gave the distinct impression that he’d rather not have been there at all. Only 3 monitors instead of the 6 requested, and no DI for the bass available, (‘sorry mate, it’s broken’) so I had to crank my Vanderkley/Hartke rig way up for the bass to be heard, which in turn meant that it was way too loud on stage. And as there were no monitors for bass player, drummer or keyboards, the backline had a real job trying to hear what was going on.

Apparently it sounded good out front, but on stage it was a real struggle. I was trying to lip read the singer to see what she was singing.

Remember guys, you can submit a technical requirements sheet for a gig to the stage manager, but when you arrive at the gig and find the PA hire company haven’t brought the right gear or some of it is broken it’s a bit late to do much about it.

Well done to you and the band for having a professional attitude, making the best of it and putting on a good show.

There may have been someone in the audience who was inspired by you to become a musician and start their own band. Little knowing what the reality is sometimes 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, musicbassman said:

It'a still a win, you got out there, overcame the struggles and played a good gig to people that enjoyed it.

Stick a cheap DI (Orchid electronics is my choice) in your bag and you're sorted for the future.

• Like 1

My first gig with my old band for 2 1/2 years, as the singer had serious health issues over the lockdown. Luckily she has made a full recovery.

It went really well,  I had a great time and we've got plenty more booked in the diary.

image.png

• Like 9

Played a 45 minute slot at Orwell Quay, Ipswich, as part of the Summertime Ipswich festival.  Well run event, great stage and sound.  We played well, went down well, picked up a few new followers.  Smiled all the way home :) 

Note to self - I've had the Squier JV Precision longer than any other bass, after kissing so many frogs for so long before or since getting it - it is The Prince.  Why do I still look?

299364725_10228209081194576_848987971864

• Like 8

22 hours ago, King Tut said:

Played ‘A New Day’ festival. Had a great slot as the penultimate band squeezed in between Jethro Tull and Ten Years After. 

I was using a new (to me) Schroeder 2 x 12 cab (1212L). It’s a tiny thing that I bought off here a couple of weeks ago. One of the drivers is angled off to the side. Was also the first gig for my Sire V9 which I’ve just withdrawn from sale. We’re travelling to a festival in Liege today and I didn’t want to risk my Rik at customs!

Anyway, the Schroeder, driven by my Bugera 1001T absolutely blew me (and band mates) away. Incredibly loud and seems to defy the laws of physics, Nice n punchy too!

overall, the sound was impeccable. We played a blinder and the crowd responded in spades. I think the Sire is gonna get some more exposure too. Really handy being able to tweak the tone from the bass rather than the amp and absolutely zero neck dive. Nice looker too! Happy colin!

Quick postscript to this one - played at The Golden Age Festival yesterday in Liege. Used the same bass and fx through the house rig which was an SVT CL snd 8x10. I way preferred the sound I had the night before with the Bugera and Schroeder. Go figure!

• Like 1

Social club.  Punters only woke up half way through, then here was some discreet jigging going on. Our PR left my pic off the band promo poster AGAIN. Best bit was truly cracking my tone for the first time in 11 yars.  Very very satisfying.  And the key ingredient?  Markbass 104 cab.  Along with LM3 head, Bareknuckle pup on a fretless P bass clone, flats, and my signature EQ settings, which aren't intuitive.  FYI: Bass 11.30; low mid 10.30; high mid 9.30; treble 8.30.  VPF on 9.00.

300463382_5096734063771513_889951978055047835_n.jpg

• Like 4

Played at a party yesterday, depping with some old friends.

It was in the garden of a cottage in a small village in Holderness, and is an annual event where everyone

knows each other and really enjoy themelves . A lovely do with great punters and ace food and drink too!

Used my bitsa Jazz bass, with a GKMB800 into my old 'Loud Inc' 4x10 cab, which still sounds as strong 

as ever. Glad I didn't sell it on when I got my BF Compact, as occasionally it's great to have a change.

The band play 'Dad rock' stuff which always goes down well with the gigs they get. The drummer is 

John 'Cambo' Cambridge, who played in David Bowie's early band 'The Hype' and then on the 'Space Oddity'

era stuff. John actually introduced Bowie to Mick Ronson following playing with Mick in top local band

'The Rats'. He's a top bloke, great company and a wonderful drummer so it's always a pleasure (and

an honour) to get to play with him, even though I've known him for over 40 years.

( John has recently written a book about his early days with Bowie and Ronson - for anyone interested

it's called 'Bowie, Cambo and all the Hype' , is available in paperback and a fascinating read.)

ca9b1061-fc79-4571-bc44-9743c302b4c1.JPG

78508b16-1f7b-4278-87bd-a4ea8e4aae13.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

Edited by casapete
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

After 11 years our jazz standards quartet played our final gig (number 150) last night at a brewery where we have played many times. Not a full house but very appreciative and we played well but we were all very aware of the end of our little band. As usual our Bose PA worked perfectly, I go directly into it and we don't need monitors.

The singer/keyboard player is moving to another city and since we have developed a band image and personality over the years we won't try to replace her and carry on, we will have to start from zero and maybe take another direction. The three of us are in a seven piece jazz band and that will be our main musical outlet while we decide what to do, I may look around for another band that needs a DB player maybe jazz or folk or bluegrass or ???.

It's been a good run and we are all still friends, quite an accomplishment after 11 years.

At 76 with about 60 years of gigging I'm hoping something comes along soon, the clock is ticking but I'm hoping to carry on for as long as possible.😊

P1050346.JPG

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Depped last night for a 5 piece (bass drums git sax and vocals).

Since doing Bandeoke my approach to dep work has changed. I'm no longer bothered at having to read chord charts or improvise a whole set as I'm used to three hours of not knowing what we'll be asked to play, often with musicians who haven't met before and not knowing if anyone actually knows the song.

So depping where all the people on stage know each other and know the set is a doddle.

Last night was at a social club with a nice stage, friendly staff, typical social club crowd. The band had a reasonable sax player, an ok drummer and a singer with an incredibly good voice. Oh and a guitarist.

I got paid, enjoyed playing and was tucked up in bed at 20 past 1 with a cuppa. Result!

• Like 8

Played this afternoon at a pub in Crawley. Outside, full beer garden, second set went down particularly well presumably because the audience had drunk more beer by them. We had a dep drummer who did well and because my Status is away at the mothership being tended to by Rob and Dawn I played my Flea Jazz - not bad at all. Funniest moment was when we were packing down and a very drunk young lad asked why we didn’t play any Status Quo but we did play some Oasis. Vocalist replied we didn’t play any Oasis, yes you did, no we didn’t. Young lad then said yes you did, Another Brick in the Wall - that will forever now be an Oasis song in our band 😂

• Like 3

She's Right- I'm Left

THIS SATURDAY! Hopefully Ma’ Nature cooperates! But if she’s in a mood, fear not, the show will go on indoors! It’d be great to see YOU! 

LIVE @ King Pin Bowl & Ale House
West Bend WI

That was last night. It was a 7-10 acoustic gig. Not bad, not great and kind of weird.

Blue

FB_IMG_1660671140746.jpg

• Like 7

The Earl Haig in Cardiff. Great venue, big stage, full lights (Focus are playing there on thursday). Audience was bigger than our usual although it wasn't packed out as its 250 capacity. A bit nervous as loads of musicians in there! But we had an awesome time, much dancing and due to a watch misfunction we went 20 minutes over...

received_1100346360892221.jpeg

301010776_5699436030080244_8986045022395516714_n.thumb.jpg.6105b80f4673eac6ec457ffcf6ce27b3.jpg

Thanks to Barry Morris for photos.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 13

Great multi-band line up yesterday. I managed to play three times with different bands - a couple of songs to support a drummer whose guitarist and bassist/singer had pulled out at the last minute (all new to playing and never played live and I think the nerves took a hold). I played three songs with the band of 13 year olds I'd been mentoring all week (they were brilliant) and a couple of tunes with ex-band mates in a jam at the end.  I was using my Gretsch Electromatic shorty - first outing on a stage for her - through a Laney RB2 (the communal bass amp) DI'd to FOH. The rest of the day I was on sound duties - with around 20 acts and varying levels of professionalism (from 0-100% 😀) it was quite a challenge. But no complaints, and several compliments from people I respect so I'm happy. And the students from the Rock School performed really well and all went home as happy rockstars! No photos of the kids (of course) but here are a few of the acts. As I was also the photographer, sadly no photos of me either.

DSCF1670-1.thumb.jpg.bc1b18cd7a49b1b9508eba54e03386a1.jpg

DSCF1689-1.thumb.jpg.759a09da99ed3cd386162d24c99c9a10.jpg

DSCF1598-1.thumb.jpg.5aa34872a337d0903233769e33b04203.jpg

DSCF1539-1.thumb.jpg.c62778514f61092eb62b98ee8657c917.jpg

Today is a day of rest, calm and quiet. 😀

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The Earl Haig in Cardiff. Great venue, big stage, full lights (Focus are playing there on thursday). Audience was bigger than our usual although it wasn't packed out as its 250 capacity. A bit nervous as loads of musicians in there! But we had an awesome time, much dancing and due to a watch misfunction we went 20 minutes over...

received_1100346360892221.jpeg

301010776_5699436030080244_8986045022395516714_n.thumb.jpg.6105b80f4673eac6ec457ffcf6ce27b3.jpg

Thanks to Barry Morris for photos.

I see you've gone for the Doug Johns look there albiet a different bass. 😂

Great pics from the gig. Proper camera used by looks of it. Nice one.

Dave

image.png.3204574e9ffa8610dc238e8cb1cc945f.png

• Thanks 1