Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I struggled with my ACS plugs for years - every time I moved a muscle in my face one or both would move and let the noise in. I finally stopped using them and bought £20 industrial ear protector 'headphones' from (I Think) Screwfix - lets me hear exactly what the rest of the band is doing but saves my ears from cymbal crashes and loud guitar (I mostly play in a three piece blues-rock band, so volume goes with the territory). They're also much easier to take off for a chat during the breaks and have never moved while playing. Easier to sleep after a gig without my ears ringing as well.

I have the ACS ones but to be honest very rarely wear them unless i feel the band is approaching "too loud" but we dont really play that loud on stage.

I also have a set of Senner ear plugs for the bike and they fit really well and allow certain noise thru. They do a musicians ear plug that might be worth a look.

They are round rather than shaped liked the ACS ones and more like the industrial ones you get Dave.

Dave

40 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I had that at rehearsal on Thursday with my ACS plugs, whenever I smiled (ok not that regular an occurrence) the “seal” was broken and more noise got through.

Note to self, remain miserable and protect your hearing.

I have photos of me playing dating back over the last 8 or 9 years in which I always look bored stiff - simply because I was trying not to loosen the earplugs! 

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I have the ACS ones but to be honest very rarely wear them unless i feel the band is approaching "too loud" but we dont really play that loud on stage.

I also have a set of Senner ear plugs for the bike and they fit really well and allow certain noise thru. They do a musicians ear plug that might be worth a look.

They are round rather than shaped liked the ACS ones and more like the industrial ones you get Dave.

Dave

I never could get those cylindrical foam earplugs to work at all - maybe I have weird ears!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I never could get those cylindrical foam earplugs to work at all - maybe I have weird ears!

They worked okay for me. However, I have one ear canal a bit smaller than the other, and managed 

to get one plug properly stuck in it. Mrs CP wasn’t over happy about being woken up when I

got in at 2am to try and remove the offending item. Took half an hour with tweezers, lesson

learned! 

• Haha 1

Ear plugs... Howard Leight Max Green...

For smaller ear canal... T Shape andxSoft, loads better than the cheap yellow cylinders or the hard foam cones.

Worn 'em for years... motorbike, gigs, sleeping.

It's all about the fitting... roll em squish, and put em in and hold allowing them to expand to seal, rather than expanding and pushing out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Howard-Leight-33-011-20-Max-Lite-Ear-Plugs-Green-Uncorded-200-Pairs-/175198359357?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Interesting reading about folk’s experience of the ACS. Never had that problem, even with singing and (much reduced now past 40) jumping around. Keep thinking I ought to get new moulds given how long I’ve had them but tbh they feel fine, they fit well. Left ear’s still buggered but that was pre-plug purchase so we can’t blame them for that! 🤣

Once again Covid spoiled the party and the seven piece swing band had to cancel last night's gig, the second gig in four days we have had to cancel.

Since I had the day and evening free I was able to do a blacksmithing gig at a provincial park a couple of hours away. This park has a replica of a winter lumber camp as it would have been in the early 1900's complete with a blacksmith shop and I have volunteered to work at the forge many times over the last 25 years or so. With a background that includes 27 years as a farrier and blacksmith I have a lot of fun forging some things and explaining a bit about horseshoeing to people who are camping in the park and other visitors and had a very hot but enjoyable afternoon at the coal forge. Not the gig I was expecting on August 6 but a good one nevertheless, no bass but lots of rhythm from the hammer and anvil.

I hope the band gigs on the 10th and 20th happen without Covid problems, fingers crossed.

IMG_0296.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good day for us on Saturday, we played the middle day of the three-day Stone Valley North Festival in Ushaw Moor. Unfortunately just the second stage, which meant a tent that was largely indistinguishable from a million other tents we've played this summer, but still.

I was asked if I wanted to use the Ampeg half stack that was provided as backline, to which I said that depended on how much they could give me through the wedges. The monitor engineer seemed to take that particular comment on board and it was like a blinkin' reggae gig where I was standing. Good times.

PXL_20220806_102951917.jpg

PXL_20220806_102959815.jpg

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1833.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

• Like 10

For the first time ever I had to cancel a gig due to mechanical gremlins - the high pressure diesel pump in my Transit Connect completely cut out about 10 miles into a 90 mile journey to Nottingham.  Luckily the A180 was very quiet and we managed to coast to safety across a slip road (usually frequented by tankers coming from the nearby refinery!) and came to rest on the only bit of hard shoulder for miles!

The AA reached us but as I feared, the fault was pretty terminal...and not a particularly cheap fix either expecting to cost between £500 and £700.  Hey ho!

The venue were really cool about it all and will try to sort us out another date ASAP.

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 15.32.08.png

• Sad 5

Finished my gig tonight at the commonwealth games closing 7EEEEE17-D76E-40AF-8687-2A0C322F71CC.thumb.jpeg.ede367bd5bd1dce22fb2bc8c5bf427cb.jpegceremony.  First stadium gig and biggest audience especially if you count the live tv audience. 
not a great photo but. 

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Last weekend was Rebellion Festival. We played the Pavilion Stage at 3pm on Saturday and it was packed

1064833050_PavilionRebellion2022.thumb.jpg.8cec21b3e628a0b8776ff3528ca1b4ff.jpg

Then the "almost acoustic stage" on Sunday. Great weekend!

I'm depping for Paul Henshaw at Cropredy Fringe tonight then back with Headsticks at Lakefest on Friday

• Like 9

12 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

Finished my gig tonight at the commonwealth games closing 7EEEEE17-D76E-40AF-8687-2A0C322F71CC.thumb.jpeg.ede367bd5bd1dce22fb2bc8c5bf427cb.jpegceremony.  First stadium gig and biggest audience especially if you count the live tv audience. 
not a great photo but. 

Dude you are looking ultra-fkn cool! 😎

• Like 2

Second to last gig with the jazz standards quartet last night, finally got to play after a Covid case in the band. Good crowd but a bit thinner than normal, mostly people of a certain age who are nervous about Covid which has had a surge in this area recently.

All in all it went well but BL (sax and clarinet) was very tense and didn't play as well as he usually does but no disasters, it was a weird vibe knowing that after 11 years we are just about done. One more gig on the 20th before the singer/keyboard moves out of the area, it has been a good run.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

An afternoon well spent at the Cropredy Fringe Festival. It was hot, so hot that the majority of the audience didn't venture out from the safety of the shelter onto the grassed area in front of the stage. It was a little off-putting at first, but we could just about hear the applause and the feedback we got after we played was all positive.

On reflection, the decision to wear a hat wasn't one of the best I've ever made, but hey, we suffer for our art!!

IMG-20220811-WA0002.jpg

• Like 9

Gig 4 with the new covers band and The Saga Of My Fingertips #enoughalready

We played the Dragonfly, Herlington, Orton Malborne, Peterborough. Y’know the pub in Ch4 TV series Shameless? Paid rehearsal: no audience, no interest but we played well and tried out a few new ones seeing as it was just us plus a (few) friends and Frank Gallagher. 

Played the best yet, it’s starting to gel now I’ve taken over the PA and mixing so everyone can hear everything. That done I need to crank my BVs back up in the mix and polish my harmonies. 20+ years of five really good harmony singers in the other (main covers / showband / party animal) band is proving difficult to relearn with a new (but very capable) singer. I love harmony singing. Would rather do it all night than one killer lead vox.

More judicious effects usage this evening, even slipping in a couple of synths without scaring the horses. C4 + MIDI ftw.

Angelina in use tonight: USA Deluxe Fender Dimension V through a GK RB700II and a Barefaced BB2. All bass guitar, all the time. Lovely sound. This band plays dropped half a tone so Angelina (on the left) is for this band and Betsy (on the right) is tuned standard for t’other band. Who are out tomorrow night. Two gigs in one weekend?!?!

Superglue in use. All finger tips gone. 😜

105C6573-6F95-416D-92F6-9DB4C98DEA0C.jpeg

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 2