Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

10 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Dalton & Wade Garrett were the chief coolers in the film Road House.

Totally one of my most favouite films. Absolute classic. Jeff Healey in all his glory to boot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

T-Shirt - Orange website! ( @FinnDave one of the bands last night played Dark Star, bit of a cheat when you get 'three songs or 15 minutes 🤣 )

My GD band (Franklin's Tower) often tell the audience that the only have time for two more songs - Dark Star and Playing in the Band. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Bass - Fender Performer.

T-Shirt - Orange website! ( @FinnDave one of the bands last night played Dark Star, bit of a cheat when you get 'three songs or 15 minutes 🤣 )

Rig... effin' awesome. Ridiculously loud, great for blues rock, best compliment I had was a sound engineer telling me I sounded like Jack Bruce (was using the Epiphone with twin 'probuckers') 🙂

Thanks. Had to look up the Performer. That is one rare beast! Only made for 2 years in the 80s according to Wikipedia. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

I am very tempted to save up for one of those GRs but I like the sound I am getting from my 2 OBC112s with the Terror too.

Technically I had my first gig on bass this evening. I'm at a music summer school, mostly playing cello plus some baritone sax. I have brought a 4 string with me and the tce BG250. I though I might play bass in the big band session, but I'm on bari. I joined in with the ceilidh optional session before first session starts in the morning and I've just played for this evening's ceilidh. Harmonically, it's simple stuff. The only music is the 'tunes', some of which will indicate chords simply as say GCD, with the odd Gm or something added. Not many clues and how it is played does not align to standard practice... I mostly stuck to roots and the odd fifth - it's so fast that most of the time that you couldn't do much else. I was accompanying an assortment of flutes, tin whistles, recorders, fiddles. Definitely not rock 'n' roll... 

Overall it went OK despite the novice driving the bass. Some tunes had no chords, so I was doing my best to deduce a chord from the tune.

299730657_359109543089749_1512816151959624493_n.thumb.jpg.fd84f4488fcfe588e83af1809f301ef8.jpg

299730657_359109543089749_1512816151959624493_n.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

Technically I had my first gig on bass this evening. I'm at a music summer school, mostly playing cello plus some baritone sax. I have brought a 4 string with me and the tce BG250. I though I might play bass in the big band session, but I'm on bari. I joined in with the ceilidh optional session before first session starts in the morning and I've just played for this evening's ceilidh. Harmonically, it's simple stuff. The only music is the 'tunes', some of which will indicate chords simply as say GCD, with the odd Gm or something added. Not many clues and how it is played does not align to standard practice... I mostly stuck to roots and the odd fifth - it's so fast that most of the time that you couldn't do much else. I was accompanying an assortment of flutes, tin whistles, recorders, fiddles. Definitely not rock 'n' roll... 

Overall it went OK despite the novice driving the bass. Some tunes had no chords, so I was doing my best to deduce a chord from the tune.

299730657_359109543089749_1512816151959624493_n.thumb.jpg.fd84f4488fcfe588e83af1809f301ef8.jpg

That's 6 years and 600 posts to do 1 gig? Must be some sort of record. Better late than never!

Often you can get clues from what the guitarist is doing with his chording hand.

Some guitarist are really adept at 'walking' into the next chord, from playing without a bassist. If you catch on you can come over as a savant for hitting the next 1 bang on. Often they don't even know they are doing it and will tell you you''re the greatest. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

That's 6 years and 600 posts to do 1 gig? Must be some sort of record. Better late than never!

Often you can get clues from what the guitarist is doing with his chording hand.

Some guitarist are really adept at 'walking' into the next chord, from playing without a bassist. If you catch on you can come over as a savant for hitting the next 1 bang on. Often they don't even know they are doing it and will tell you you''re the greatest. 

I didn’t do anything for 4 or so years. My thread “non rock n roll bassist” talks about my musical journey. 

im primarily a cellist and yesterday I was sight reading Mendelssohn octet - here’s my partimage.thumb.jpeg.8613bbaef1948b6ce1b11c32a2cebc88.jpeg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

I didn’t do anything for 4 or so years. My thread “non rock n roll bassist” talks about my musical journey. 

im primarily a cellist and yesterday I was sight reading Mendelssohn octet - here’s my partimage.thumb.jpeg.8613bbaef1948b6ce1b11c32a2cebc88.jpeg

Reading the lower than E notes would stuff me but I could get it out if it wasn't too fast. Moderately fast with fire, maybe not.

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

Reading the lower than E notes would stuff me but I could get it out if it wasn't too fast. Moderately fast with fire, maybe not.

Reading bass clef outside of the stave stuffs me.  I played clarinet in my formative years so spent most of my sight reading time in the treble clef. Even when I played keyboard and tinkled on the piano the bass clef would completely confuse me.  I've been playing bass a lot, lot longer but still haven't got my bass clef sightreading ability up to scratch.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

19 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

Know what you mean about the speed in ceilidh music. I dept in ceilidh band, primarily on guitar but also some bass. Some of the pieces had three chord changes a bar, which really worked my chord changing speed on guitar. The other  thing is that tempo is often sped up during a dance, so you go from fast to manic and have to hold on for about 10 minutes. 

• Haha 2

On 17/08/2022 at 19:43, Obrienp said:

Know what you mean about the speed in ceilidh music. I dept in ceilidh band, primarily on guitar but also some bass. Some of the pieces had three chord changes a bar, which really worked my chord changing speed on guitar. The other  thing is that tempo is often sped up during a dance, so you go from fast to manic and have to hold on for about 10 minutes. 

Tutor said dancers often speed up as the get through a set. I reckon you're looking around 240bpm or more for the quicker ones 

• Like 1

Played ‘A New Day’ festival. Had a great slot as the penultimate band squeezed in between Jethro Tull and Ten Years After. 

I was using a new (to me) Schroeder 2 x 12 cab (1212L). It’s a tiny thing that I bought off here a couple of weeks ago. One of the drivers is angled off to the side. Was also the first gig for my Sire V9 which I’ve just withdrawn from sale. We’re travelling to a festival in Liege today and I didn’t want to risk my Rik at customs!

Anyway, the Schroeder, driven by my Bugera 1001T absolutely blew me (and band mates) away. Incredibly loud and seems to defy the laws of physics, Nice n punchy too!

overall, the sound was impeccable. We played a blinder and the crowd responded in spades. I think the Sire is gonna get some more exposure too. Really handy being able to tweak the tone from the bass rather than the amp and absolutely zero neck dive. Nice looker too! Happy colin!

Edited by King Tut
  • Like 7

OK gig updates...

Bass wasn't my main instrument of the week - I played mostly cello and some baritone sax. 

With the sax there were two performances at the end of the week. I played in a big band, which wasn't full size, made up of clarinet, trumpet, 2 tenor saxes, me on bari sax, bass and rhythm guitars, keys, and drum kit. We did a 30 minute set of a mix of stuff including  Green Onions (something like this, La Bamba etc

We played in the room that was set-up with the bar, rather than the main hall, so it meant people were dancing...

The other bari performance was wind ensemble, where I was a substitute bassoon..., playing more classical repertoire. 

For string orchestra performance, I was the concertante cellist (soloist) in a concerto grosso by Stanley, plus 'Elegy' by Elgar.

For orchestra, the main work was Haydn symphony 104: the first movement has a slow start then sets off...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A bit 'meh' to be honest. We played a 70th birthday which was weird off the bat, but aside from the birthday (ahem) girl herself everybody else there was under 50. 70 isn't like old old, so it's not as if all of her friends her own age were dead or anything. Anyway as it was mostly familes and small children we played really quietly and aside from 2 or 3 people on a few songs towards the end nobody danced or really cared all night long. Still, we got paid a princely sum and ate social club buffet so what can you do?

PXL_20220819_195230594.jpg

PXL_20220819_195245409.jpg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Jack said:

A bit 'meh' to be honest. We played a 70th birthday which was weird off the bat, but aside from the birthday (ahem) girl herself everybody else there was under 50. 70 isn't like old old, so it's not as if all of her friends her own age were dead or anything. Anyway as it was mostly familes and small children we played really quietly and aside from 2 or 3 people on a few songs towards the end nobody danced or really cared all night long. Still, we got paid a princely sum and ate social club buffet so what can you do?

Take the money and consume the buffet 😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jack said:

We did one like that at the end of last year. Birthday, not well attended but in a large club so no atmosphere. No dancing until right at the end and the guests were split into two groups that didn't mix all night. We were glad to get out as it felt a bit wierd.

• Like 1

Just now, Franticsmurf said:

We did one like that at the end of last year. Birthday, not well attended but in a large club so no atmosphere. No dancing until right at the end and the guests were split into two groups that didn't mix all night. We were glad to get out as it felt a bit wierd.

Next time do what hawkwind allegedly did on entrance to thier gigs and hand out LSD tabs to everyone entering 😂🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Next time do what hawkwind allegedly did on entrance to thier gigs and hand out LSD tabs to everyone entering 😂🤣

They never did that when I went to se them.😀 I missed out there!

The buffet looked as if it had been there all day so there were probably enough bacteria to have a similar effect. 

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1