Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Should have been playing at Da Koffie Pot in Hereford as part of a 7 act line up called "Senoritas Who Rock". Our guitarist is ill, so I'd spent hours getting together a split amp set up, and changing my bass lines so they sounded more lead guitar-ey with 2nd bass doing the root stuff. We were on the way to the venue when we heard from the promoter that she'd just been told by the venue that no drums were allowed. This meant that we couldn't play, nor could the band immediately before us - the show would have to be renamed "Senoritas who strum lightly on an acoustic guitar as we wouldn't want it to be too loud and rockin'!"

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

12 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Should have been playing at Da Koffie Pot in Hereford as part of a 7 act line up called "Senoritas Who Rock". Our guitarist is ill, so I'd spent hours getting together a split amp set up, and changing my bass lines so they sounded more lead guitar-ey with 2nd bass doing the root stuff. We were on the way to the venue when we heard from the promoter that she'd just been told by the venue that no drums were allowed. This meant that we couldn't play, nor could the band immediately before us - the show would have to be renamed "Senoritas who strum lightly on an acoustic guitar as we wouldn't want it to be too loud and rockin'!"

I saw this on Facebook. Disgraceful!

• Like 2

First gig with the new Verity (Argent) Bromham (Stray) band yesterday at The Colne Festival  in the Municipal Theatre. Well organised apart from road access to the venue - “no you can’t drive down here straight to the venue, you’ll have to wind your way through that warren of backstreets where there’s hardly anywhere to park”! Once in organisation was great, sound guys knew their stuff and there was an SVT Pro and 8x10. I elected to use my own head (Bugera) with the house cab. We did a set of Classic Rock Covers - not really stuff I would’ve picked but the crowd loved it nonetheless. We were then entertained outside by a 16 year old lad chucking up into a biffa bin and a classy young lady being arrested by the feds for lamping someone. And this was at half five in the afternoon - dread to think what it’s like at chucking out time!. The day was ended with a visit to the best chippy in town and a long drive home. Oh yeah, had a dressing room visit from a chap who delivered a guitar to John Verity, turned out to be Trev Wilkinson of Wilkinson Pickups. For those who are into watches he was wearing a Daytona that he managed to get new from an AD who’s a mate of his, lucky git. He’s a smashing bloke by the way, really friendly!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Thanks, glad it went well 😀

It's always a fun venue there and good there was a decent view 😄

Never played there before but it was great! Even with the pressure of the bass player dude standing right in front of me - I just concentrated on the lovely lady instead 😅

Just now, Merton said:

Never played there before but it was great! Even with the pressure of the bass player dude standing right in front of me - I just concentrated on the lovely lady instead 😅

Was that a young(ish) lad who wanted to talk your ear off about Darkglass?

23 minutes ago, Graham said:

Was that a young(ish) lad who wanted to talk your ear off about Darkglass?

Yes. Well, he was talking about his fanned fret Mayones bass and heaping praise on my Zoot - of whom he’d never heard - and then when he saw my HX Effects he was excited about that too. Nice guy, can play better than me, clearly knew the band as he said he wanted to sing the Arctic Monkelys song as he had more of a northern accent than Matt 😅

Last night was a return to a popular seaside venue, The Smuggler's Beach in Port Eynon. New band (we'd only played together in that line-up for a 2 hour rehearsal on Wednesday, but all experienced from previous line-ups), new set (finalised at the same rehearsal). Parking was a lottery as the village was never designed for vehicles and has a large caravan park nearby. Quietish first 30 minutes followed by a steady build up of folks until by the middle of the 2nd set they were dancing beyond the stage area into the back of the venue. Great atmosphere and band-friendly staff, including the rare 'drinks for the band on the house' service. About half of my other band (a big 13 piece) were in the audience and they were all up front. Great feedback from them. 

On paper this should have been a car-crash gig. About three weeks ago we didn't have a singer and the guitarist and I had been preparing to cover the vocals ourselves (if I have to sing, it's definitely an emergency). Then we had found a singer prepared to stand in for the gig. Two weeks ago we found a 'permenant' singer for the band and a few days later he pulled out. So on the night we had another new singer (and we'd modified the set to include a number of her songs). The guitarist and I took a few songs as well. I was pleased with my version of 'Bad is Bad' but 'I'm a Believer' - well, I think 'tries hard but could do better' is the correct phrase. 😀

First proper outing at volume for my mini rig- Trace Elliott 1x10, Warwick 1x10 and Peavey Minimax head. I was really happy with the punchy sound. 

• Like 7

Good gig last night for my indie rock band. Weird donkey venue mind, it's a posh restaurant in a strip mall that turns into a rock bar at night. There's always a crowd of middle aged women in dresses who are unaware of this and are halfway through their quinoa when the band starts. Oh well. I'm also fairly sure that it's still reverberating in there, the whole venue is flat wood and glass, you've got to be whisper quiet or it turns into a stoner rock gig. However, crowd and management were extremely pleased and it was a return to form for our singer who was a bit ropey last week. Also, I love love love venues with a barrier around the stage where one doesn't have to tidy cables, although our singer did tape those ones that run across the stage down. Most importantly I got a bar maid's number.  Unsolicited, but I've clearly still got it. 😁

PXL_20220827_190811463.jpg

PXL_20220827_190824257.MP.jpg

PXL_20220827_190832286.jpg

PXL_20220827_191836466.MP.jpg

PXL_20220827_191840742.MP.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, Jack said:

Good gig last night for my indie rock band. Weird donkey venue mind, it's a posh restaurant in a strip mall that turns into a rock bar at night. There's always a crowd of middle aged women in dresses who are unaware of this and are halfway through their quinoa when the band starts. Oh well. I'm also fairly sure that it's still reverberating in there, the whole venue is flat wood and glass, you've got to be whisper quiet or it turns into a stoner rock gig. However, crowd and management were extremely pleased and it was a return to form for our singer who was a bit ropey last week. Also, I love love love venues with a barrier around the stage where one doesn't have to tidy cables, although our singer did tape those ones that run across the stage down. Most importantly I got a bar maid's number.  Unsolicited, but I've clearly still got it. 😁

PXL_20220827_190811463.jpg

PXL_20220827_190824257.MP.jpg

PXL_20220827_190832286.jpg

PXL_20220827_191836466.MP.jpg

PXL_20220827_191840742.MP.jpg

Is that Newcastle UK. The way you describe it as a "strip mall" sounds more US ?

Just curious

Dave

Friday night - had to dash straight from work and fight with googles directions to get down to devon. Seriously, how do you tell Google to avoid roads where bushes scrape against both sides of your car at the same time?

Anyway, this was a wedding for a friend of the rest of the band, ie, he was the previous bass player before I joined in 2016, I never actually met him. So they were doing it for free and I wasn't so it worked out well for him and us (well, at least me!).

The place was a little village hall, great stage, all purpose built, who builds a stage that well, adds wings, stairs, curtains etc and puts 4 plug sockets in the whole thing, of which 2 are used by the stage lights? Luckily the was a door near the backstage part, and apart from some little stairs no real setup issues, or wouldn't be if I hadn't spilled a pint of coke next to all the power adapters! Cleaned that up, did a sound check, second gig with the RCF Evox 8 and during sound check I had to put my head right up to the Alto to see if it was actually doing anything. 

First gig playing the spector RST - so light and sounds great, fits well in the mix, seems a bit politer than the euro but just enough of a growl when you let it go. I had changed the overdrive patch in my HXFX to something softer as the previous rat distortion I had on it was over the top. Tried it, it made it sound much smoother so have to rethink that.

Anyway, first half not much dancing (but that is our blues rock half anyway), lots of people outside catching up, second half (party stuff and it had got dark out) a lot of dancing and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Got to about 3 hours and the singer was starting to make lots of mistakes so we wrapped it up with the last song and then the one more song.

A good night altogether, and the stupid devon / dorset roads are easier at night when you can see lights and there isn't much traffic!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Just back in from my second gig of the weekend, this was a charity gig with the Wirebirds in Swindon. Not some abstract charity, but a fund raiser for a local chap in need of help. Great atmosphere, real family feeling. We played a similar event there a few years ago, and it had the same vibe. Great to be playing with our own drummer again, as last few gigs he has been on holiday. Real power trio stuff, great fun and a very refreshing after the discipline of playing in a six piece last night. 

Two down, one to go, with the six piece in Oxford tomorrow. I really hope we aren't on too late as I am proper tired already!

Admiring your stamina Dave!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, howdenspur said:

Admiring your stamina Dave!

I had one gig last night and i'm knackered today and only just over an hours drive home on mixed roads (country then Motorway)

Dont think i would have managed another gig today.

Dave

• Like 1

Pretty cool last night. In that weird sort of way that can happen at wedding gigs. We were at the Cheltenham ladies college in a lovely hall. Nice enough, went down well, trialled some new songs and ended up not playing that much due to some interesting traditional dancing thing that went on for ages! Still, paid well and looks like we’ve plenty more gigs coming out of it Local festival later. 

A36B1B33-145D-403C-98BF-AE412A09199D.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that Newcastle UK. The way you describe it as a "strip mall" sounds more US ?

Just curious

Dave

Yup, I'm Northumberland born and bred. I guess it is kind of a US term. Not that I put much thought into it when I typed it, but what would you call a long line of shops and restaurants with a big car park (parking lot? :D ) outside of it. A retail park maybe? But it's a line and not really a park.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

Pretty cool last night. In that weird sort of way that can happen at wedding gigs. We were at the Cheltenham ladies college in a lovely hall. Nice enough, went down well, trialled some new songs and ended up not playing that much due to some interesting traditional dancing thing that went on for ages! Still, paid well and looks like we’ve plenty more gigs coming out of it Local festival later. 

A36B1B33-145D-403C-98BF-AE412A09199D.jpeg

IMG_6611.MOV 16.79 MB · 3 downloads

Dream gig..........ladies college. Well maybe when i was 20.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great fun gig at the Frocester beer festival in Gloucestershire last night. Crowd were well lubricated but the time we played at 7.30 and had a glorious sunset too. Well organised stage and good sound team and a very lively audience. Not the most complicated bass song below but who needs more than 4 notes anyway and its always a favourite!

Edited by sbrag
Typo
  • Like 6