Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Fun gig last night in the Butchers Arms in Inverurie with my covers band Nine Lives.  The landlord wanted us to start an hour later and play until 1.30am to see what effect that had on punter numbers.  I think it helped - people are going out later and later - some folk still arrived as we were playing our last few songs - they must have been on a pub crawl because who goes to the pub for half an hour, what's the point?

Anyhoo, reasonable crowd who were up for a dance and a singalong, a fairly young crowd so we ditched some of the older rocky stuff and kept it fairly contemporary - save for Bad Moon Rising and Waterloo - they always seem to go down well regardless of the ages of folk!

Highlight of the evening - the police came into the pub for a look around just as we were between songs, so in a highly unimaginative but mischevious move we quickly decided to start playing "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest.  I'm sure that's not the first time that's happened to them but they took it in good spirits and it gave us and some of the audience a chuckle :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

She's Right I'm Left

Saturday 8/13

Carriage House 
Slinger WI
8:30-11:30

Maple Road

Sunday 8/14

Dundee Road House

Dundee WI

3:00 - 7:00

Busy weekend. I'll follow on how everything goes.

Blue

1648337130829~2.jpg

1659750224423~3.jpg

Had to have a 2nd take wndering what 8/13 and 8/14 was then i realised in US you always use month before date rather than in UK its date and month. There's me initially thinking it was an address thing. It was just a for a second or two then it hit me. I'm not that slow...............honest. 😂

Have a good weekend Blue.

Dave

• Like 2

8 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Looks like a cool venue… let us know how it went. Tidy set up there by the way. A few points deducted for not listing the bass gear in use, which I’m sure you’ll correct 😝

Thank you. Yes have you noticed the difference between my side of the stage and the guitarists'?

For the benefit of pointsThe bass gear is my boring but very capable digital fakery rig. Shure GLXD16 into HX Stomp. Last night with one of my QSC K12.2 wedges used as a bass amp rather than as a traditional monitor. We've played some large stages recently (where I use a wedge as a monitor) and the drummer has on occasion complained about a lack of bass guitar where he sits. He should fix that himself now that I think about it... 

• Like 2

It was very very hot. We played a festival slot between 7-9pm and after experiencing some feedback issues for the first two songs (the singer's/guitarist's monitor AGAIN) we went down really well and had to politely turn down the requests for an encore as everything was running late. 

A nice evening. My goodness it was hot though 🥵

• Like 4

3/5 of the main band out tonight at The Old Ship Inn, Pointon.  No lead guitarist, Kev The Keys filling in on drums. Erm… he’s better than the drummer! Absolutely nailed it all night. didn’t speed up during every guitar solo…

No audience again. But we played really, really well. Stupidly tight - we’ve played together for 20+ years mind but even so: Kev’s never drummed in this band and we only managed a quick rehearsal earlier this week.

I got to do the harmonies all on my own all night. Loved it. Got a great sound from PA and back line.

Plucking fingers are a MESS and sore despite superglue. Developed a new blister on ring finger due to using it in lieu of middle finger. Few weeks

off now for them to heal and harden…

• Like 3

6 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

3/5 of the main band out tonight at The Old Ship Inn, Pointon.  No lead guitarist, Kev The Keys filling in on drums. Erm… he’s better than the drummer! Absolutely nailed it all night. didn’t speed up during every guitar solo…

No audience again. But we played really, really well. Stupidly tight - we’ve played together for 20+ years mind but even so: Kev’s never drummed in this band and we only managed a quick rehearsal earlier this week.

I got to do the harmonies all on my own all night. Loved it. Got a great sound from PA and back line.

Plucking fingers are a MESS and sore despite superglue. Developed a new blister on ring finger due to using it in lieu of middle finger. Few weeks

off now for them to heal and harden…

I know you've probably heard this before but can you turn up the bass and play a bit lighter on the strings.

I've tried it and it does work but i do like the aggressive tone you get by hitting the strings hard and i've been doing for 40 yrs.

Got a 3 week break at moment and dreading the next gig at end of the month with the punk band 😂

I did try the meths thing but didn't seem to help on the gig. I spent around 10 days dipping my fingertips for 5mins sometimes twice a day. ?

Dave

Played another Wirebirds gig in Witney last night. Same venue as four weeks ago, went well but our lights proved to be inadequate - we were playing in total darkness by the end! Good fun though, paid OK and several free beers (decent stuff, it's an independent bar with links to a local small brewery). My wife drove there and back, so no dodgy driving!

Going to look at stage lights on line today!

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I know you've probably heard this before but can you turn up the bass and play a bit lighter on the strings.

I've tried it and it does work but i do like the aggressive tone you get by hitting the strings hard and i've been doing for 40 yrs.

Got a 3 week break at moment and dreading the next gig at end of the month with the punk band 😂

I did try the meths thing but didn't seem to help on the gig. I spent around 10 days dipping my fingertips for 5mins sometimes twice a day. ?

Dave

Yeah! I get the theory but all that happens is that I get blisters and all anyone can hear is the bass!

Basically, I love gigging but I’m the musical equivalent of a Neanderthal cave dweller 😅

Surgical Spirits by the way… not meths.

38 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

Yeah! I get the theory but all that happens is that I get blisters and all anyone can hear is the bass!

Basically, I love gigging but I’m the musical equivalent of a Neanderthal cave dweller 😅

Surgical Spirits by the way… not meths.

I think Surgical spirit is the same as meths altho could be wrong. 

A quick google search produced this desccription

Surgical spirit is composed of isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) solutions, diluted with water.

APOLOGIES I WAS WRONG (again)  :- on further searches i found that both are denatured alcohol but the additives are different.

I'll get some surgical spirit this week from chemist and give it a try.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I think Surgical spirit is the same as meths altho could be wrong. 

A quick google search produced this desccription

Surgical spirit is composed of isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) solutions, diluted with water.

Dave

Commercial Meths includes a substance called pyridine, which imparts the foul smell plus also a purple dyeing agent. I used to get involved in the manufacture of it when I worked for BASF. Colloquially, we were told it was to discourage drinking it! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Len_derby said:

Commercial Meths includes a substance called pyridine, which imparts the foul smell plus also a purple dyeing agent. I used to get involved in the manufacture of it when I worked for BASF. Colloquially, we were told it was to discourage drinking it! 

Did it discourage drinking it 😂

I've updated my post after further searches revealed the additives are different with one used mainly for removing stains and the other as a disinfectant.

Dave

Not last night, but last week, I just hadn't got round to saying about it!

Last week was another double gig week. Did an hour at Festival on the Hill in Honiton, quite a large well done stage, with stalls, games and camping etc - it was very hot (luckily not like this week though)

image.png

There was a PA outage during one song where they had to reboot their rig aparently but not much of an issue. Seemed a bit remote and although was good to do, I think it is hard for the singer to be away from the people that much! Also with the heat, a few songs sort of lacked a bit of life. The Spector sounded ok on stage though with the BC cab and the ABM600.

Then a drive from there, where the drummer almost totalled himself by failing to notice a crossroads, luckily empty, to a local working mens club for a normal 2.5-3 hour set.

I picked up the PA and was frankly knackered by the time I got there. I was wandering around in a bit of a daze wondering what to connect and do next. It was the first time we were using the Evox 8, so we had an unbalanced PA, but didn't really have time to sort it out. By the time we were done it was 5 to 9, almost ready to go so we went out the front, sounded good but too loud, turned it down a bit and off we went.,

For the first 3 or 4 songs (admittadly bluesy old ones) I was feeling like falling asleep but once the more upbeat songs started I got into it, but it was hot. about 8 songs in I realised that my amp was quite a way down and as I had used the PA at a practice, the bass was mostly going through the PA, which is not something I do. Turned it down a bit but didn't seem so good so put it back up.

After the half way I got a new lease of life and finished at about ¼ to 12.

• Like 4

Played at Dunoon yesterday afternoon, at the Doon The Watter festival...great day, but hotter than the sun on stage...

Some slight technical issues with the sound on stage, monitors died halfway through the set, but it didn't affect out front...

Back home all tomato-faced after a day hunting down shade! 🙈🤣😎

IMG-20220813-WA0015.jpg

Screenshot_20220813-213111_Gallery.jpg

20220813_114536.jpg

FB_IMG_1660415727255.jpg

• Like 9

Last night was great fun!  Played at Wilsons in Aberdeen to a great crowd who were really into the gig.  Highlight of the evening was this old guy who was sitting at a table near us.  He seemed to be digging the songs and was singing along to some of them.  Then we played Enter Sandman.  Well!  This guy goes to a carrier bag and gets out a Guitar Hero "guitar" controller and proceeds to mime playing it in front of us.  He had all the moves - playing it above his head and all sorts!  The crowd thought this was amazing and it made for a memorable moment for sure. 

Such was the energy in the room that I threw a lot more shapes when playing than I normally do to the point where the other guys in the band were wondering if I had been substituted for someone else.  I did a daft bit during Highway to Hell - because there's no bass for a long time at the start (and also the second verse), I just got a chair out and sat down, looked at the audience, shrugged a few times.  It nearly went wrong though because when I stood up, my strap came off its button at the bottom.  Somehow managed to get through the first chorus by pushing the bass against my thigh until I could sit down in verse 2 and sort it out.  Was more careful when I stood up the second time!

What a laugh all in all.  We played really well and had a bloody good time as well.  Got asked to play an encore.  Had lots of people come up after we were done and say nice things to/about us.  Landlord asked about our availability for next year (we're going back to Wilsons next month too).  Can't really ask for more than that.

1748750203_Wilsons20220813setup_web.thumb.jpg.663a2355f4c31c88b45a3e70a748d01e.jpg

Compact and bijou

1192539989_Wilsons20220813_web.thumb.jpg.15dfcf840f04fa403d256a2388966c02.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Had a 3 hour gig in a pub this afternoon. I was a little nervous as it was about 3 weeks since our last one and I thought I might get blisters but tried the superglue trick (the gel in fact). No blisters afterwards, so I am definitely going to do that again. Gig went well. Lots of compliments from the punters and a “drop us an email when you want to play again” from the manager, so all good.

• Like 6

We were at The Royal Oak, Ramsden, yesterday. A very nice pub, though we had some sound issues as we were playing in a small alcove and different instruments were clearer in different directions and at different distances. For example, the bass was very clear at the tables nearby but not indoors in the dining area (I didn't fancy turning up too much as the cab was pointed at the drummer).

A fun gig, though, and we were accosted afterwards by locals offering other opportunities.

IMG_4078.thumb.jpeg.20c6ba8bd32c3ef963e901a92977ca1d.jpeg

Edited by knirirr
  • Like 6

An outdoor gig in the blazing sun yesterday. We knew it would be a challenge but 33C is definitely not conducive to strutting one’s stuff. The stage wear was significantly pared down and the Glam wigs were omitted, it was so hot on stage that the singers platform shoes melted....

Fortunately it was a short drive home but I did sit in the car in full aircon for a good 15 minutes when it parked up.

DEA30A5E-EF3D-4626-9D97-B4F15A7AE227.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Played Bloodstock festival Friday - definitely the hottest festival I've been too.

In house cab was a very rare and very dark sounding Carlsboro 410, glad I took my own head, the Carlsboro head looked . . pants. Sounded great on stage! Can't complain.

I'm still trying to rehydrate.

Sound was awesome, crowd was packed out. Sandwiched between Exodus and Testament, so not a bad slot.

I'm tired . . .

299547404_10166940508245077_875094498441535170_n.thumb.jpg.7acc29c4d6d3a7290b1fa29222d54838.jpg299273068_6052129914803630_4875570164538838635_n.thumb.jpg.861eaa947c1124e72ea8369ff1169cf1.jpg

Edited by Stofferson
  • Like 11

On 14/08/2022 at 15:16, ricksterphil said:

Gloworm Festival at Thoresby Hall in Notts, depping for Johnny and the Raindrops, who do original songs for kids. https://youtube.com/channel/UCfudHoUzRaZd-A7CzlzRzRA

We had kids up on stage playing cardboard guitars and dressed up as carrots and peas and all sorts. Fantastic gig.

IMG_20220813_153614.thumb.jpg.2c290315ee5554049f0811313f2ffd63.jpgIMG_20220813_153612.thumb.jpg.e01e635dfaeab8a5f313b380a7360600.jpgIMG_20220813_153609.thumb.jpg.d9414c12e448d71f27fef53b4d8432a1.jpg

That Chris on drums?

Good lad, not spoke to him in a while.

You were in good hands with Phil on the desk too right?

Edited by Stofferson

On 12/08/2022 at 23:25, Bluewine said:

She's Right I'm Left

Saturday 8/13

Carriage House 
Slinger WI
8:30-11:30

Maple Road

Sunday 8/14

Dundee Road House

Dundee WI

3:00 - 7:00

Busy weekend. I'll follow on how everything goes.

Blue

1648337130829~2.jpg

1659750224423~3.jpg

Just a follow up on the gigs.

Our Friday night gig 8:30 - 11:30 was a good gig. We had a groove going the whole night. Good crowd with good tips.

Probably our 4th gig at this place, The Carriage House. We found out they are closing and re opening under new owners and management. Over here 🇺🇸 that usually means no more live music.

Sunday's biker bar gig 3-7 at The Road House was lousy. We had a dep drummer and nothing clicked. A real drag.

Blue

20220814_145757.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Just a follow up on the gigs.

Our Friday night gig 8:30 - 11:30 was a good gig. We had a groove going the whole night. Good crowd with good tips.

Probably our 4th gig at this place, The Carriage House. We found out they are closing and re opening under new owners and management. Over here 🇺🇸 that usually means no more live music.

Sunday's biker bar gig 3-7 at The Road House was lousy. We had a dep drummer and nothing clicked. A real drag.

Blue

20220814_145757.jpg

A gig at The Road House

Hope Dalton & Wade Garrett were on the door 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3