Why become a member? ×

What Sire did next

neepheid

Or more accurately, what they're about to do next year... https://sire-usa.com/pages/2024-models

Z series - looks like a mashup of a Stingray and a Lakland 44/55-0x to me

F series - single cut, Fodera shaped objects?

G series - semi hollow confections

some extra Vs (Jazz-a-likes)

and a full scale U series.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

They are definitely going after EBMM, as there’s a guitar in that lineup that looks like a Silhouette (not that I know anything about guitars of course, I mean, why would I? I’m a bass player. Guitars? Weird cheese graters. Nothing to do with me, move along, nothing to see here… whistles innocently).

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Those lower horns are a swing and a miss aren’t they. Also goes to show that not everyone can design a decent looking single-cut.

G-series could be interesting though, Godin vibes probably.

Si

They swung and let go of the bat 

• Haha 2

I quite like the lower horn on the Stingray-a-like, it's something a bit different, it's the preamp that's more likely to be the deal breaker for me, I pretty much exclusively use my V7 fretless in passive mode because I don't get on with the stock preamp.

I'd still like to try one though.

I'm not as keen on the single cut , but then it's a style I've  never really liked aesthetically, whether it's this Sire or a £15k Fodera.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

I quite like the Z and the F. They're a bit different. And they cater for the crowd that complain about upper fret access without having the stupid pointy horn of the 24 fret jazz bass. 

I'm not too keen on the G series, but then again, Godin instruments never did float my boat aesthetically. 

• Like 1

I'm incredibly shallow and first-impression aesthetics are very important to me. With the exception of the U7 (which is quite pretty) I've seldom seen such an impressive collection of vileness, ugliness & just plain wrongness gathered together in the one place.

Me and my bank balance are quite relieved about that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At the risk of being banished... I actually really like the Z3 and Z7!  Headstock will always be an issue for me though... absolutely love my V5R, but don't gig it so often as can't visually handle having a wooden clubfoot on the end of my bass...

Looking forward to seeing what price point they come in at... 

• Like 2

The Stingray and Godin style ones look fine to me. I'm not keen on the singlecut but they're doing what they do: making a cheaper alternative to what's out there. If I needed a backup to my US Stingray I'd have the Sire on my list to try out at least. I've had a few of their basses but they don't last long in my possession, even though I think very highly of them.