Why become a member? ×

Overrated vs Underrated

Rayman

16 hours ago, Rayman said:

Overrated: Markbass CMD121P (Italian) combo and the 121 extension cab… to me amazing quality but also amazingly dull tone. Hopeless for rock, probably decent for jazz fusion.

Completely opposite experience here, that thing always sounded right to me without fuss. Playing rock, funk, ska and reggae...

• Like 1

Overrated: MM-style humbuckers. I get their appeal, and I like the tone many players obtain from them, but I just can't get along with them. I've owned a Stingray 5, two Carvin LB75's, a Carvin B4 and several Ibanez ATK's and I've loved each and every one of them for a while, but grew tired of the tone after a while. I like a bit of attack, but I don't like the overly bright, midscooped clack I get from them. Or more specifically: I don't like a bass where the "neutral" setting of the EQ is not a good and solid base tone where I can just unplug one bass (say, a Jazz) and plug in another (MM) without having to adjust the on-board EQ to match my amp settings. So definitely a me-problem :lol:

Underrated: Line 6 Lowdown bass amps. They were short-lived, and dropped in price real quickly. Their big mistake was they only sold them as (bulky) combo's, and not as heads. They were simple, with just 5 different on-board amplifier models, had a very usable range of tones, and sounded great. I had a Lowdown Studio 110 for years that I used for home practice, small livingroom rehearsals, a few small gigs and to record an album with my old band The Bullfight, all through the XLR out. It was just 12x12x12 inches in size, very portable and rugged. It only lacked one thing, IMO: a tweeter would have been great. I contemplated replacing the stock speaker with a coaxial one with a tweeter in the middle, but then a cheap used EBS NeoDrome 112 presented itself and I've been a very happy camper ever since. 

Over rated - Pretty much every off the shelf bass north of about £1k. There's so many manufacturers producing great basses at the lower end of the market that it's hard to justify spending lots of money on a new bass (unless you're getting yourself a treat).  

Under rated - The G&L Tribute range. They've snuck up in price over the past couple of years, but they're still fantastic value, well made and with great hardware (esp the models with MFD pups).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Osiris said:

That widely imitated Ampeg sound, the bloated lows and clanky high end with nothing in between. 

Not im my world. Low grindy mids and that Ampeg honk cannot be beat in my book. People dont like them cause theres just to much bass eq, which yes can get bloated...dial it back push the mids....heaven.

Overrated

- All Aguilar amps.  40hz for the Bass control is just too low to be useful as anything other than a cut.

- John East preamps - could not gel with it at all, but I tend to favour passive basses anyway.

- Mono gig bags.  I have one and an old Fender gigbag that cost £40 has almost as much padding - the Mono cost £200+

- TI flats - too loose a tension for me, feel rubbery under the fingers

- All Stingray basses pre 2018 - weak G syndrome, poorly designed and incorrect pickup alignment

- Barefaced cabs - way too woofy, too much bottom end

- All stainless steel strings - there is just a missing frequency in the midrange somewhere that you get with nickels

- Slap bass

Underrated

- Good IEMs - a total game changer

- HPF in the signal chain - secret tone sauce!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Overrated

- All Aguilar amps.  40hz for the Bass control is just too low to be useful as anything other than a cut.

- John East preamps - could not gel with it at all, but I tend to favour passive basses anyway.

- Mono gig bags.  I have one and an old Fender gigbag that cost £40 has almost as much padding - the Mono cost £200+

- TI flats - too loose a tension for me, feel rubbery under the fingers

- All Stingray basses pre 2018 - weak G syndrome, poorly designed and incorrect pickup alignment

- Barefaced cabs - way too woofy, too much bottom end

- All stainless steel strings - there is just a missing frequency in the midrange somewhere that you get with nickels

- Slap bass

Whoa. . . . !

You've just listed everything I own!!!!

• Haha 10

over, Behringer BDI21, I know it's as cheap as chips but the drive control either does nothing or gives a  horrible fuzz tone.

Under, Zoom B1on, also as cheap as chips but seems to be one of the less popular Zoom multi effects pedals but, for me, gives just the right amount of overdrive and sounds better than the B1 four

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

overrated - anything US made and overpriced boutique brands

underrated - Indonesian made e.g. Cort, Sterling by Musicman. Also 👍for Peavey and Marshall amps

Pretty much agree.

Over-rated: Fender US Models.  Are they really worth all that much more than their Squier cousins?

Underrated: The Squier cousins. 

Overrated: Warwick,  who still haven't paid Stuart Spector's Court costs or their fines.

Underrated: Spector,  the original cambered bass which was clearly ripped off by Warwick. See above. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Pretty much agree.

Over-rated: Fender US Models.  Are they really worth all that much more than their Squier cousins?

Overrated: Warwick,  who still haven't paid Stuart Spector's Court costs or their fines.

Underrated: Spector,  the original cambered bass which was clearly ripped off by Warwick. See above. 

Re Squier, indeed not. I have an excellent Squier Affinity Starcaster guitar which I bought new for £260. The now defunct Fender equivalent used to sell for 5 x that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Pretty much agree.

I might tend to agree. I’ve just done an LP for someone and all the bass parts were done on a super cheap Squier affinity Jazz bass, while all the guitar parts were done on a secondhand Squier CV ‘72 Thinline Tele that cost £150. Listening back to the mixes, you just wouldn’t know. And once the record comes out with the additional surface noise and what have you, you’d never guess 😂

• Like 1

Overrated - everything

Underrated  everything

One man's pot of gold is another man's POS

If you buy based only on good reviews then you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. Likewise if you only read about the bad you could be missing out on something that could've worked for you.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Overrated: MM-style humbuckers. I get their appeal, and I like the tone many players obtain from them, but I just can't get along with them. I've owned a Stingray 5, two Carvin LB75's, a Carvin B4 and several Ibanez ATK's and I've loved each and every one of them for a while, but grew tired of the tone after a while. I like a bit of attack, but I don't like the overly bright, midscooped clack I get from them. Or more specifically: I don't like a bass where the "neutral" setting of the EQ is not a good and solid base tone where I can just unplug one bass (say, a Jazz) and plug in another (MM) without having to adjust the on-board EQ to match my amp settings. So definitely a me-problem :lol:

Underrated: Line 6 Lowdown bass amps. They were short-lived, and dropped in price real quickly. Their big mistake was they only sold them as (bulky) combo's, and not as heads. They were simple, with just 5 different on-board amplifier models, had a very usable range of tones, and sounded great. I had a Lowdown Studio 110 for years that I used for home practice, small livingroom rehearsals, a few small gigs and to record an album with my old band The Bullfight, all through the XLR out. It was just 12x12x12 inches in size, very portable and rugged. It only lacked one thing, IMO: a tweeter would have been great. I contemplated replacing the stock speaker with a coaxial one with a tweeter in the middle, but then a cheap used EBS NeoDrome 112 presented itself and I've been a very happy camper ever since. 

Loved the Lowdown Studio 10. Still got mine and it's a keeper.

Overrated- Yamaha Attitude. Mine was fabulously well made and robust,  but I could never make it sing.  It just honked like a wounded Bison.

Pedal pre-amps- yet to find one that I like,  have been through the Hartke VXL, Sansamp and MXR (M80?) DI+

Underrated- Bongo. Divisive aesthetics, but oh, the tone and clout!

Whirlwind cables- I've one that's 30 years old and has never even crackled.

Overrated -

Behringer Super fuzz clone. Sounds like fried butt holes on bass and guitar. Some people rave about these things.

Underrated -

Peavey International IV. Sounds great, plays great and cost £80 used

Ashdown MAG300 combo. Really sounds great, cost £150 quid and loads of volume. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thump said:

Overrated : Anything Gibson.

Underrated : Wilkinson pickups , for the price there is no competition , £20 for the nicest sounding P pickup i ever heard is incredible

Anything Wilkinson. Their three-saddle, compensated Tele tailpiece is a fraction of the price of the Gotoh

• Like 2