Why become a member? ×

Overrated vs Underrated

Rayman

Overrated:

• Behringer BDI21, stock... mid scoop that colours everything.
  • US Fenders, specifically a} insane pricing and b} the fact that when they trumpet about "NEW basses!" you just know it's going to be the same old same old but in a different colour. 

Underrated:

• Behringer BDI21, after the single-resistor mid mod... totally transforms the sound, gets rid of the scoop. Instant Geddy.
  • the old Nemesis by Eden cabs, e.g. the NSP115. Absolutely fantastic things, I had a pair of the 115s for many years and they were superb. Very lightweight in terms of, errm, weight but certainly not tonally. Yet I hardly ever saw them mentioned anywhere.
  • Shuker basses. But then again I would say that, wouldn't I. :lol:  
On 04/10/2023 at 11:21, acidbass said:

Overrated

- John East preamps - could not gel with it at all, but I tend to favour passive basses anyway.

But if you prefer passive anyway, surely that alone will make it difficult to gel with a preamp, whether said preamp is brilliant or not?

16 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Underrated- 

Whirlwind cables- I've one that's 30 years old and has never even crackled.

I would add Klotz to that. I've had two of them since 1986 and not a single problem with either of them. Brilliant things.

10 hours ago, tauzero said:

Overrated: Spector basses - unpleasant necks.

I guess it depends where you're approaching them from. The neck on my Q4 is a delight to play.

36 minutes ago, Thump said:

Underrated : Wilkinson pickups , for the price there is no competition , £20 for the nicest sounding P pickup i ever heard is incredible

I'll second that, the Wilks pickup in my P bitsa is fabulous. 

Having said all that:

3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Overrated: Personal opinions.

Underrated: Objectivity.

100% truth. :lol: 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rich said:

But if you prefer passive anyway, surely that alone will make it difficult to gel with a preamp, whether said preamp is brilliant or not?

Possibly so, but the one I had didn't have any centre detents on the knobs, meaning you really didn't know where was flat. Seemed completely counter-intuitive. On the other hand, some active pres really make sense to me, e.g. the G&L pre.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Whirlwind cables- I've one that's 30 years old and has never even crackled.

They are good aren't they.

I bought mine in the late 80's. It's still in perfect condition and is still my main cable.

On 03/10/2023 at 20:35, Dan Dare said:

Interesting that more than one asserts that Markbass is over-rated. I must disagree. I find MB gear doesn't have the baked in eq that is designed to give products showroom appeal, even when set supposedly "flat". It is honestly voiced. It does not sound bright/hyped when you stand next to it, but it projects very well out in the room and has a real weight to the sound. It does lean a little more towards old school than some brands, but is none the worse for that. I'm don't use MB (I have an AG700), but I would be happy to do so.

It just goes to show that we all have different ears/expectations.  I've been using MB (LM3/MM500 with 2 NY121s) for a good few years and get a great rock tone not just to my ears but also fellow musos.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ezbass said:

So many things are overrated in the world, our own opinions being pretty high on the list (I’m aware of the irony here). However, in our world of bass, I think pick playing is rather underrated.

Strangely I get goaded at jamnights around my parts because I'm one of the few bassists who's mainly finger style.  I feel compelled to get a pick out and show them the middle (unplaying) finger.

I thing it's quite difficult to claim something is overrated without being subjective.  If you paid £3k for something similar to a £1k model but you love it and play it all the time then that would be good value.

Nevertheless, I don't understand the worship of the Boss OC2, and I really don't get the prices these change hands for.  MXR borrowed one from Janek Gwizdala and cloned it; you can buy it from countless outlets for about £150-170, and it has an extra feature, the 'mids' button.  But what do I know, I've never had an OC2 and I don't have an Octaver on my pedalboard.

Edited by BillyBass

2 hours ago, acidbass said:

Possibly so, but the one I had didn't have any centre detents on the knobs, meaning you really didn't know where was flat. Seemed completely counter-intuitive.

In fact, the preamp you had was a boost only model, so no center detent here as it starts flat at the zero position, and there are plenty, not only by John East.

Sometimes, reading the manual helps a lot. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/10/2023 at 20:09, NJE said:

Overrated for me would be:

Markbass LMII - bombproof and very reliable, but I could not get a good sound out of it, dull and lifeless like my cab had a big quilt over it.

Aguilar Tonehammer amp and DB/GS cabs - again so so solid and reliable, gigged them for a while but the sound was just very dull and I was always fiddling with the amp and never happy.

Underrated:

EBS Reidmar - bought to replace my Markbass which was stolen. Worlds apart tone wise, clear, massive headroom, way more volume and just so tight and punchy. I didn’t care for the design of the casing but I barely ever fiddled with it at gigs.

Designacable - I am so surprised more people aren’t buying custom cables from these guys. I used them a few times for custom coloured cables at a time when most people just offered black. I have used coloured cables for years so no one can ever “accidentally” pick mine up and put them in their gig bag. Way cheaper than a lot of branded cables from bigger companies as well.

I litterally bought a cable from designacable and came yesterday. I couldn’t agree more with what you said. I’m very very happy 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, BillyHunt said:

Did they change the voicing in 2018?

I’ve always liked Stingrays, except for that puny sounding G string

They changed the pickup pole piece alignment. The strings now pass directly over the pole pieces which alleviates the classic weak G of all previous Rays.

• Confused 1