Why become a member? ×

Age & Common Sense

Lozz196

So with my back continuing to be an issue a certain amount of common sense has had to be applied. With guitar I was using my Tele Deluxe at 8.5lbs, have made the switch to Epiphone SGs at 7lbs. And yesterday I had a practice and my back was sore after playing my Precision (my lightest one at 8.2lbs) so I`ve ordered a Fender JMJ Mustang Bass (will of course do a NBD topic when it arrives). Having read up on them it seems they average around 7-ish lbs, but even due to the size it will be easier to play and easier to cart about in a guitar gig-bag (research done there too).

In some ways I`m sad as it means I`m not using the instruments I prefer to play (aside from at home of course), but on the other hand I`m pleased that I`ve come to this acceptance. Onwards & upwards, and at least there are lighter options available nowadays.

And this of course means I now have an absolute shed-load of gear to move on.

• Like 13

I get it. Went on a similar journey for largely the same back-related reasons. Out with the Precisions and in with the Mustangs for me too.

YMMV obvs but as someone who has always massively favoured a Precision, the JMJ for me feels and sounds like a smaller, absolutely killer, Precision. I absolutely love mine to bits and really can’t say enough good things about it.

Mine feels enough like home now that I’m properly happy with it. And I never thought I’d be ‘OK’ not largely playing Precisions.

Hope yours works out similarly well!

• Like 1

Gutted to hear that Lozz and hope you're back isn't giving you too much jip outside of playing. 

Sounds like you have a good plan lined up though and the JMJ is supposed to be a beast! Do you know what sort of weight you'd be comfortable with? Quite a few Fender Japan models have basswood bodies and are fairly light, so could be an option, although I doubt they'll be below 8.5lbs.

On the plus side, there's a whole new world of short scale/light weight P GAS to go through! 

The only real downside to this now is that you get to be the target of the confused: "Why does it matter how heavy the bass is? Why do people always ask?" nonsense on for sale posts!

I'd play a bass made of balsa if it looked cool enough! Airfix colour scheme perhaps... ;)

Edited by Daz39

yep back pain is a problem these days.

I think you're acceptance of using something lighter (and shorter in this case) is the key.

You'll love the JMJ. I did just this a couple of years ago. I have shoulder problems too, and with my shoulders not so open, it hurts a lot less on gigs.

I still love my P basses but for a long gig, Mustang. Short and light

I take it you bought a black one

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

So with my back continuing to be an issue a certain amount of common sense has had to be applied. With guitar I was using my Tele Deluxe at 8.5lbs, have made the switch to Epiphone SGs at 7lbs. And yesterday I had a practice and my back was sore after playing my Precision (my lightest one at 8.2lbs) so I`ve ordered a Fender JMJ Mustang Bass (will of course do a NBD topic when it arrives). Having read up on them it seems they average around 7-ish lbs, but even due to the size it will be easier to play and easier to cart about in a guitar gig-bag (research done there too).

My JMJ is smack on 8lbs, balance isn't too bad though so it's an easy lift.

I hope you can continue to play live and absolutely love it, with whatever gear you choose.

I never thought about the weight of my instruments at all until touring started to involve air travel, then I stopped taking out a flightcased 8.5lb Telecaster + pedal board and started using a Danelectro 59 which is chambered / semi hollow and weighs about 2.5lb (if that) and a Hiscox Liteflite case.

Then after a shoulder and rotator cuff injury I did everything I could to keep travelling and gigging weight down to the bare minimum. Mini pedals on a plastic pedal board (actually a diy converted kitchen chopping board)  lighter cables, smaller power supply etc, everything. It made a huge difference. 

I never toured as a bass player, only ever did single nighters, but if I had to do it now I’d be looking at a semi-acoustic bass for sure. One of the Ibanez short scale single cuts or a Hofner or something. Light as possible anyway 👍

I'm sure the only reason bass bodies are the weight they are is to prevent neck dive. You need the COG to be at the bridge end to counteract the turning moment of the neck.

If anyone can come up with a strap that attaches to the neck instead of the body and still keeps the body in a playable position then that's the way to go. 

How did the Steinburg basses work, aside from being headless? 

For back problems I would suggest core muscle exercises, yoga etc. but good on you for compromising!

I personally have a problem with my left wrist that can't be mediated. I expect it to get worse over time, and it already has. I used to play 6 string basses, then I could only play 4, now I can only play short scale. I used to play acoustic guitar every day, now I can't play for more than 10 minutes. I used to play drums with big fat heavy sticks, now I have to use light sticks. Lots of compromise and all of it quite depressing. I'll probably sell some basses soon, and I guess at some point I'll sell my acoustic guitars. I haven't dared try my old yamaha 12 string for example. 

All the best Lozz!

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouraging words chaps, it really is appreciated. I’ve also got a Barefaced Big Baby II on the way, apparently it’s good for guitar as well so here’s hoping for a real one cab does all solution.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Thanks for the encouraging words chaps, it really is appreciated. I’ve also got a Barefaced Big Baby II on the way, apparently it’s good for guitar as well so here’s hoping for a real one cab does all solution.

Woah woah woah. Good for guitar as well? Common sense gone all of a sudden... ;)

• Haha 1

This information is probably useless, but it might be interesting…

A long time ago, when I actually weighed more than I do now (I would have been 26 stone), and suffered with a bad back. I went out to a quarry to collect rocks (for terrarium displays), and ended up with around 90lbs of them in a sack on my back. The weight countered the weight of my gut and, for the first time in ages, I felt comfortable (other than the straps digging into my shoulders). I had very strong legs at the time, so walking around with that weight on my back was easy.

It wouldn’t work for me now, because it’s downward pressure that kills me. Just sitting up for too long (3 or 4 hours) is enough to mess me up.

I do wonder, though, if counter-balancing the weight of a bass, front to back, would be helpful to someone? I would imagine it’d be a lot easier to find 9lbs the carry than the 90lbs I was carrying. I don’t know how you’d go about carrying it, however (perhaps get a strap made from a hunter’s cartridge belt, and fill the pockets with lead sea fishing weights? I don’t bloomin’ know!).

2 hours ago, la bam said:

Just look at it as a new challenge with excitement.

I've pretty much found whatever I play I somehow end up making sound like a precision anyway, so you'll soon get a sound you'll love.

I tend to be pretty much the same so I`m confident I`ll end up sounding roughly the same as I always do.

8 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If weight was an issue with me I'd just be looking at semi acoustic / hollow body instruments tbh, which by comparison weigh virtually nothing... 

I'd be looking at Hohner cricket bats or the Aria Sinsonido.