Why become a member? ×

Best music purchase of 2022?

SumOne

Finally went for a Double Bass. Drove up to Scotland and made a weekend of it, met some great folks in the process (as appears to be the Basschat way) and haven't stopped wrestling with the damn thing since. It also appears to have killed my GAS, to the extent that I think I'll be paring down the bass guitars a bit next year.

• Like 5

Two amps I picked up on kijiji, I saw the SWR right after it was posted , the seller was only asking for a hundred bucks. It’s a nice little amp , 400 watts at 4ohms. Everything works perfectly. Great deal.
And a Darkglass E500 , a completely different thing. Using the software Darkglass has made you have a choice of 22 effects and pedals , you can design , save and store presets you create. I’ve been mostly playing around with the E500, it’s a hoot to create presets. And I’m getting better at it.

AB36AE09-4434-410A-BDA9-44C7BA48107A.jpeg

• Like 1

A dear friend (and great bassist) who lives in a small Manhattan apartment called me during the summer to ask if I wanted to buy his 1967 Ampeg SB-12.

He had realized that, with his bad back, he had only used his lightweight rig for the past several years and he didn’t want the Ampeg to languish in his closet. He offered it to me at a very generous price and, naturally, I said yes. 

To be honest, this was the best purchase of the last several years. 

• Like 5

Tough one... I'm going to say my Darkglass Duality Fuzz pedal. I was never really one for fuzz, having only had it on multi fx pedals and never really needing it. The last year I've played a lot more modern music and guitar versions of pop songs so the fuzz has become essential for replicating synth tones, especially with a boss OC-2 in front. The Duality is a great pedal, there's so much flexibility in what you can get from it, including a soft and subtle fuzz sound which I've never been able to find before. 

It was, of course, bought on the BC Marketplace too.

Honourable mentions: ABM600 amp head, Sire V9 five string bass, Harley Benton jaco-alike fretless jazz which I've barely touched as it arrived on the day I went away on a work trip.

IMG20221209204639.jpg

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 2

I have two, possibly three contenders.  A Retrovibe Faker and an Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro.  Both completely different to my beloved precisions but in a good way and have joined the rotation cycle for use at gigs :)  The third is a bitsa '54 Precision that I suspect will usurp many once I have finished fettling.

IMG_20220127_124452.thumb.jpg.f9565c4abfc13cedace5359227978640.jpg

IMG_20220215_145839.jpg

• Like 4