Why become a member? ×

God can forgive, but Clapton can't

Steve Browning

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

I see Robert Cray has cut any ties or links with Clapton after Clapton likened lockdowns etc with slavery.

For someone who made a fortune from ripping off black American music, Clapton has an unenviable propensity of looking like he's either thick, nasty, a racist or all 3.

Read his biography.  He comes across as someone who simply isn't a terribly nice person.  If I were George Harrison I'd have done unspeakably unpleasant things to him.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

If you read his autobiography. . . . sadly. . . .  it's all 3 and a few more to boot. It's a shame because I've been going to Clapton gigs since 1965 and am a fan of (most) of his music!!

Me too - been a fan for a long time, but his comments over the last couple of years have sadly made me think differently. I do wonder if he’s seriously lost the plot, along with Van Morrison.

Clapton has not only been extremely vocal in his anti-vax messaging but he's also funding anti-vax band Jam for Freedom. Doesn't this winker and others like him realise that it is the unvaccinated that are clogging up covid wards. Both my sisters-in-law work at general hospitals. One is in charge of a path lab and the other is a senior nurse on an ICU. Currently, well over half the patients in the ICUs at each hospital are younger and unvaccinated. The rest are mostly vaccinated and older with major co-morbidities. So you get these covidiots refusing to get vaccinated then they go to hospital when they get covid. I know this digresses from the OP but Clapout and others make my blood boil with their dangerous anti-vax messages. Rant over.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

If you read his autobiography. . . . sadly. . . .  it's all 3 and a few more to boot. It's a shame because I've been going to Clapton gigs since 1965 and am a fan of (most) of his music!!

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Read his biography.  He comes across as someone who simply isn't a terribly nice person.  If I were George Harrison I'd have done unspeakably unpleasant things to him.

I've not read his biography,  I did, however,  watch the documentary about him shown on BBC4 (?) a while back. His birth mum seemed thoroughly unpleasant and his almost non-existent relationship with her seemed to account for some of his own unpleasantness.  He even admitted to not being nice, but then used drug and alcohol abuse to hide behind. You'd hope that someone who knew they'd be an awful person would change their ways...in Clapton's case it seems not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, casapete said:

I do wonder if he’s seriously lost the plot, along with Van Morrison.

Did they ever have it in the first place?

4 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

If I were George Harrison I'd have done unspeakably unpleasant things to him.

Farmer George (Keef's nickname for him - see his lovely video tribute to him on YouTube) was too nice a bloke.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What I don't understand is why she appealed the initial ruling? Guessing a local lawyer smelling a potential fat pay cheque and publicity, rather than giving their client sensible advice?

'No win no fee'......what they don't make clear is that while  'No win' might mean you don't have to pay your lawyer fees it doesn't stop you having to pay other side's fees and any other costs, so it's not as risk free as they like to make out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

I see Robert Cray has cut any ties or links with Clapton after Clapton likened lockdowns etc with slavery.

For someone who made a fortune from ripping off black American music, Clapton has an unenviable propensity of looking like he's either thick, nasty, a racist or all 3.

People don't change, unfortunately. 

Remember his comments in the 70s? 

I brought it up before but was targeted myself because an apology is enough and now we should all move on... 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Card carrying bigoted gobshyte, active anti-vaxxer deliberately trying to undermine vaccination messages and all-round unpleasant Cnut like his former Cream bandmate Ginger Baker. I've never liked a single tune by him so that's saved me the hassle of having to boycott his gigs, releases etc

In a nutshell, yup. A horrid little man.

just read about the case in the Grauniad. He doesn't come across well Isn't it disappointing that all that fame and privilege can't instill a more humanitarian outlook? He's dealing with fans, after all. 

Imagine if Boris was a lead guitarist...

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've never even rated him as a guitarist. He's a one trick blues pony who writes and plays extremely dull music. 

He should be flattered someone was willing to pay a tenner for a bootleg CD. 

I think that, for me, is the crux of my issues with him.  He is simply not very good but guilty of believing his own pr - which is a cardinal sin.  For my money, he hasn't played a genuinely cutting edge solo since the early days of Cream.   He moved on from Gibsons, seemed to forgot there was a bridge pickup or that the tone could be opened up a bit rather than that awful comb and toilet paper sound he has seemed to favour ever since.

But also a hypercrite - having stated publically he would boycott venues that asked for Vax passports he has since played one. 

https://guitar.com/news/music-news/eric-clapton-breaks-vow-to-not-perform-venues-covid-vaccine-requirement/

7 hours ago, NikNik said:

There must surely be a Crowdfund on the go for this woman. Imagine the embarrassment that light would shine on Clapton?

I would willingly contribute to this. Going after significant bootleggers and /or unlicensed merchandise is fair game, however I am at somewhat of a loss to understand why any artist would contemplate this particular legal action. The Gerald Ratner self destruct gene must be more common than we realise.

• Like 2