Why become a member? ×

Best Bass for under £300

Daveox

30 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I must admit I'm sorely tempted with a Squier Jaguar. 

P/J configuration. Looks cool as F, and can be found new under £200. 

Pretty much this. I have the Squier Troy Sanders Jaguar (not a fan of his band, incidentally) and it looks great, sounds great and feels great. I tried both the Fender and Squier versions and bought the Squier - it was easily the better bass for me, regardless of the price difference. If you want versatility then you can’t really go wrong with a P/J IMO.

• Like 1

Bought a Squier VM Precision body and neck from here for cheap. Had tuners and guard too. Put some unknown pickups and a loom in it and it's superb. Become number one bass in one band. Altogether cost around £100. If you are capable of putting one together, it's worth thinking about.

Think I was very lucky with that one but on your budget I'd definitely look at second hand. Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series both are great value for the money. Secondhand bass, pro setup and you are away with money to spare!

If you need any advice on building / buying you have definitely found the right place! Maybe try putting an ad in the wanted section on here before buying new and see what happens?

Good luck with the search.

• Like 2

Been discussed ad nauseam on these pages, but Vintage (the brand) basses punch way above their price point, with decent hardware and electronics. Do a search and you'll see how well they're regarded by seasoned Fender owners.

I'm only looking to move my Vintage PJ on for reasons of space, otherwise it's a no-brainer having one!

• Like 1

I bought an excellent condition Squier VM Jazz about 18 months ago for £180 with an ally flight case. It became my gigging bass. 

Just scored a second showroom condition one with a ritter gig bag for a hundred quid 2 days ago.

I can't believe the quality of these things, they're about 300 quid new I think.

Les

I got my excellent SUB Ray 4 for £289 but nowadays most dealers are selling them for £320 -300 though I see Andertons, Thomann and PMT Online are offering just under £300. All reviews I've read have been positive  and I concur. I'd say considering the quality of build and playability Sterling are robbing themselves

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

if you are looking for used value then how about this...https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/326172-cheap-vintage-vj74-jazz-bass/

and change to spend on strings, amp, effects, lessons, SBL or food : )

yep I've just bought a Vintage V4 (new lefty) for £200 and more then happy, the finish is not as good as my USA P obviously, didn't really have a set up, but that was from new, but it's got a nice P bass bark to it and now it's set up plays just as well as my Fender Precision, a great back up bass for me

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

As has been mentioned already - Yamaha.

Preferably something like a used BB424 or, if you can find one, a newer used BB434. There’s very little out there that can touch Yamaha’s lower-midrange basses for the money. Fantastic build quality and fantastic sound. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

As has been mentioned already - Yamaha.

Preferably something like a used BB424 or, if you can find one, a newer used BB434. There’s very little out there that can touch Yamaha’s lower-midrange basses for the money. Fantastic build quality and fantastic sound. 

+1

I've never used this shop before, but https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/yamaha-bb-434-4-string-bass-guitar-black seem to have them new for £299 which is about £150 less than normal!

There's a lot of choice for £300 - many of the basses listed above represent great VFM. 

If you're trying to avoid Fender copies you might also want to consider the Bass Collection Nanyo range - a couple of years ago you could have bought two with your budget, now the market has got wise and the prices are starting to represent their value.

You could also pick up a half decent Westone 11 or 111 within your budget. They are a bit weighty but they are active and punchy.

I'm a fairly recent Spector convert - huge range of instruments with a huge price range. I was told that you can't go wrong with any of the NT models - and I haven't. 

Probably the best place to check out what's available is your local bass Bash.

• Like 2