Why become a member? ×

Do you let other people play your bass(es) ?

josie

I'm amazed at the number of bass players I've seen who, when I've approached them after the gig asking just for a closer admiring look at their bass, have handed it to me to try out. (They do usually ask first whether I play myself.) I've been allowed to noodle briefly on instruments I could never dream of owning. Otoh I know many musicians who will never let anyone else even touch their gear.

I'm happy to hand mine over briefly to anyone I trust to respect them (I get a buzz out of having them admired :)) , but not just to any random punter.

Interested to know how others feel about this.

Edited by josie

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1475442920' post='3145995']
I'm happy to hand mine over briefly to anyone I trust to respect them (I get a buzz out of having them admired :)) , but not just to any random punter.
[/quote]

But to those people who have let you have a go on their bass at a gig...you're the random punter.

YMMV but I'd feel odd taking a indulgence that I wasn't prepared to extend myself.

I wouldn't let the drunk guy in the pub have a go, but if someone I knew was another bass player (as opposed to the drunk guy who tells you he can play bass) asked, I wouldn't give it a second thought before handing it over.

Mind you, neither of my basses are particularly expensive.

Edited by Cato

It doesn't usually happen but I have done. I play a JV Precision and a couple of lads have asked if it was a JV. Those lads I've offered them a play on it when they have asked. They must have known their stuff and so worthy of trust in my opinion...

I have no objection in principle. Like yourself, I'd have reservations but for the most part I enjoy sharing the experience and getting to try instruments that I may never actually own for myself. At the double bass bash yesterday for instance, I got to try some proper bass fiddles (sorry Owen, heeheehee). Of course, a level of competence is expected at a bass bash but from what you've said you wouldn't be expecting to give the great unwashed in general a go.

The groom at a wedding we played, came and picked up my spare bass to "air guitar" to a Quo number he'd requested. Despite being slightly hammered, he did ask if I minded. Difficult one really as he's the guy who's spending a lot of money on you and there are 50 guest's cameras pointing at the two of you.

I said okay but if you drop it or scratch it, you buy it for £2,000. The wad of notes he took out of his pocket confirmed he could have so I let him have his moment although I wasn't happy about being put in that position. A random pub punter is no problem to refuse but it's a little different when it's the bridegroom and you want repeat work at the venue.

Forgot to mention, with other musos, no problem handing them an instrument.

Edited by leschirons