Why become a member? ×

Do you let other people play your bass(es) ?

josie

Only to other bassists I know. I get a few bands coming to listen to us play when they are not playing. The other week a singer from a mates band wanted to sing a few numbers and the bassist joined in. I scuttled off to the bar and left him to it.
Sounded great! I have never heard the sound of my rig as a punter.

Depends on the asker really. I have a friend who if he plays my bass can deaden a new set of strings in
minutes, as his hands seem to produce sweat that kills them almost instantly! Hence my reluctance to
swap instruments with him.....He uses Elixirs on his guitars for that reason, but can still get through them
pretty quickly.
If someone comes up at a gig to talk basses, so long as they seem sober-ish and respectful then I let them
have a go. Great to see the face of a young player when they hold/play an old Fender or Musicman for
maybe the first time. I can still remember playing a Gibson 345 when I was about 14 that belonged to a mate's
elder brother, life changing moment for me.

I got asked to lend my rig recently , by the father of a teen band member that has a big gig (for them) and they don't have a decent amp yet , it's £1500 worth of mark bass , against my better judgment , but I wished someone would have done that for me.

On a gig or jam session absolutely not friend or punter. I went to an Alembic gathering in the states a few years back and let any of those guys who wanted to ,play my bass but then that's pretty much a closed shop. I have let the odd friend play one of my basses at my house when they visited thats it. I have no interest in playing anyone else's basses either. If I go to a jam session I would carry my own bass so should others.
I did a gig a early last year and the support band bassist asked to borrow my bass as he claimed his was not working. I politely declined then minutes later he was back on stage with his own bass playing without a problem.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1475455236' post='3146079']
Never.

No one touches my bass and I never lend my back line. They are the tools for my job and represent a substantial investment on my part.

This is one rule that is fixed in stone.
[/quote]
I really don't understand that.

I'm sure that I have pretty similar type of gear to you and while I wouldn't let a drunk punter have a go on my bass, if you were at the gig I would be more than happy to get you up to sit in or try out my bass / rig if you wanted to (or use my bass as a spare if we were on the same bill). Similarly, I have on a few occasions lent my amp to mates when theirs has been in for repair to help them make a gig and similarly I have borrowed amps that belong to friends a couple of times when mine was in the shop.

Obviously it always has to be guys you can trust, but sometimes you have to help people out and in return they will help you when you need it...

Edited by peteb

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1475446265' post='3146036']
I don't let people play my bass, nor would I ask for a go on theirs unless they trying to sell it to me.
[/quote]

That's my take, and again I would never ask a stranger if I could check out his bass.

Blue

Amps are different, we've been host band at several open mics and the understanding is always that we supply the drums and back line. No problem with that, but the bass is more personal, I really don't want someone else sticky fingers on my strings.

I'd like to go to a bass bash with the people that don't allow other people to try each others gear,it would be like a weird cult!

At the double bass bash I think Owen ended up with about 12 cabs and five amps gathered from around the room, much fun was had!

I treat everything on it's own merits regarding sharing stuff, rarely when out on motorbikes do we end up on our own bikes all day, it's fun to see what gives you gas and what extinguishes gas!

Luckily not had this pleasure at a gig yet but I would try to judge whether it's someone interested in basses, interested in showing off to their drunk mates, or someone trying to steal from me.
Recently had my nephews round and got paranoid about my basses but then thought the other way, how crappy it would be if I didn't let them play my instruments so I set up an amp just in case. They were on best behaviour and ignored the guitars. When my child comes along (soon) I really want him or her to show an interest and I will indulge that, even if it does lead to a few dings in basses.

I had an embarrassing admission-of-ignorance moment at an om gig a while back when I plugged in my (active) GMR and it buzzed like h*ll. Luckily someone else instantly diagnosed it as a flat battery, and there was another om bass player in the room who offered me his to play. That was definitely between trusted acquaintances. If the only other bass player there had been a guest musician with top class gear I would just have sat down.

I've never asked to try out anyone else's bass, I've just been amazed how often when I just ask "I play bass, that's a beautiful instrument, could I just have a closer look please" it's been handed over.

Edited by josie

It never ceases to amuse when someone asks to play my bass, and they do, and then they seem disappointed by the tone the get from it. Surprise surprise, tone comes from the player, not the instrument!

I'm alright with other bassists having a go, as long as they're respectful. Random people, no.

I'll definitely take a view on the asker and decide on that basis. Have said "Yes" have said "No". Always officiate, though... place the bass around their neck and help them take it off. That way, I know it's not going to get dropped or whacked into the drummer's crash cymbals.

It can have nice paybacks too. Remember doing a 50th birthday party once. The birthday boy asked if his nephew and friends band could do a couple of songs at the end of the barbecue break. We said, fine. Bless em, the kids were all about 14 or 15 and they were stoked to be able to play on a Wal bass, a Gibson Les Paul Studio, a Takamine Acoustic and a Premier drum kit rather than the £100 instruments they were used to playing. They weren't half bad in a strummy kind of way for some teenage kids starting out and I don't think they'd ever touched, let alone played instruments like that. The look on their faces when we said, "Nah just use ours..." All of us really earned some karma points on the cosmic balance sheet that evening. It was great watching some kids having such a treat too.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1475476104' post='3146109']
Happy to let people play it. It's a plank of wood.
[/quote]

This. You can normally judge a character within a few seconds enough to decide if they're too drunk or an idiot.

You'd let someone use your mobile of they asked probably, that's far more risky and fragile. People need to get a grip when it comes to gear.

Saying that, I dont own any mega expensive gear.. my thoughts might change if I did.