Why become a member? ×

The bass you'll never sell

keefbaker

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474327962' post='3137229']
Vox, yeah they had the tear drop and octagon body style.

I don't know how much of the market Vox had on guitars and basses. But the tube guitar amps they're selling now are supposed to be really nice.

Blue
[/quote]

I've seen the teardrop basses, but mine was shaped like a Fender Mustang.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474328430' post='3137230']
I know what you mean.

I have 7 basses. I'm not a collector. I bring 2 to every gig, they all get played in rotation.

Last weekend it was my G&L ASAT and the Gibson ES 335.

This weekend it will be one of my MIJ Fender Ps and my Gibson Thunderbird (traditional tobacco burst).

Blue
[/quote]

My basses are set up pretty precisely and I have them to allow me to do what I do.
Very often I'll throw in something that comes to me and I need to be able to pull it off.

The sound is very different..if you listen that close, or typical RW jazz...and I decide at soundcheck which one
is the main bass for that gig. I can take out just the one bass, but much prefer to take two.

I have 4 basses. Two of those will never leave. Along with my DB (Meghan) my Aria SB1000 and my Wal Custom fretless are part of my musical DNA and I will never part with them. They've been with me since 1985 and 1994 respectively and are just me. Nobody has to approve, that's just the way it is. If you don't like the sounds, get a different bass player

A vintage stingray copy that my partner secretly bought for me and my relic p bass (built by the bass doc) are the only two electric basses I own
My life would be shorter if I sold the first and the latter looks and sounds effortlessly cool so no need to sell either

I bought a Kramer five string fretless from musicyo for my eighteenth. I paid a third and my parents paid a third each.

I wanted a quality bass to replace my tanglewood p that I had learned on. I was in a very good band (I was the weaker link by a long way) and just heard Pearl Jam Ten proving fretless can work in rock. The opportunity to buy a lefty five string fretless at a low price was just too good to turn down.

I've been through loads of basses since but this one will always stay. Learned so much on that bass and it still surprises me every now and then

As mine all came in under £500 I'd only get a few tenners for each so it'd be a waste of time trying to sell 'em. Hypothetically I would. If I had a proper Stingray or a John Taylor type Aria Pro II SB 1000 the answer would be nivver!

Don't agree with Daytona Rik who says there are more important things in life. Viz any cherished things, it's not what they are but what they do for you.

Edited by Barking Spiders

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1474364595' post='3137365']

My friends, family and my life partner.

Possessions are just that, the people in your life are more important.
[/quote]

I'll give you a win on friends and family. I have 2 life long friends that are more important than my arsenal of bass guitars.

However, my point was,my life primarily evolves around my band ,gigging and rock and roll.

I have no other life aspirations.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474362950' post='3137345']
Really,more important things in life for who?

Not me. My basses and playing is my life.

Blue
[/quote]

Mine too, Blue. Playing is what it's about. But the basses are just tools. I sound the same pretty much the same whatever I play, I just happen to find Fenders suit me, I feel at home with them. But, quite honestly, if my US Precision was stolen or went up in smoke, I could buy another and after an hour of setting up, I doubt that I'd notice the difference.

The things that define our bass playing are our brains, fingers, and ears. And sadly, those are deteriorating faster than than the expensive bits of wood we all covet.

Edited by FinnDave

I think I said earlier in this thread that my next bass would be a keeper. I've thinned the herd to just my first bass and one main bass; bought to congratulate myself on staying alive for 30 years!
I've had it about 4 months now, just over 40 gigs with it and I still love it. I would have to be in the s#1t financially to part with it.

[URL=http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/mattdigweed/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160525-180942_zps7b7ju1gh.png.html][IMG]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg488/mattdigweed/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20160525-180942_zps7b7ju1gh.png[/IMG][/URL]

I'd guess it's probably my Warwick Corvette but only really because it's so knackered it's almost unplayable and therefore probably not worth enough to bother but equally it would likely cost more than its worth to get it up to scratch again.
The bass I wouldn't part with by choice thought would actually be my Squier VM P5.
It was a present from my wife for a start which makes it pretty special for that alone but also the neck sits in my hand just so, I've got it set up perfectly with a lovely action and there are a couple of modifications that I've made to it which make it quite unique to me.
It's 'just' a Squier but it's unquestionable my favorite bass I've ever owned and if rather sell a kidney than this bass!

I've never had a bass I'd never sell. I got a '91 Thumb on eBay a few years back for about £600. That was the bass I'd always wanted, and I played them a lot in shops in '91 when I was a beginner. I sold it last year. It was an amazing bass, played like nothing else, sounded like nothing else, but ultimately it was just a piece of wood.

The two bass guitars I have now are basses I've assembled myself. They both have issues (the J is heavy due to a Moses neck, the P has a body that is basically scrap) but they sound right and feel fine and I don't really desire anything better. I think people can get too hung up on this stuff to be honest. Just play what you've got and concentrate on the music.

Last weekend I went to meet up with three guys I was in a band with in sixth form back in 1992 and we played our old demo. I had a Godin Acoustibass fretless at that time which sounded great but I was more pleased with how tight I was and how adventurous my playing was when I was 17 and I'd only been playing a couple of years. Concentrate on playing like a teenager is my advice. :)

The one I'd be sorriest to see go would be the bitsa fretless P I put together myself.
In the right circumstances I might give it to someone, I suppose.
But It's not worth anything anyway, so that's easy for me to say.

Edited by alyctes