Why become a member? ×

The bass you'll never sell

keefbaker

I'd probably sell any of them if the right offer was made. I won't ever sell my Andrew McGill bow, just because it suits me so perfectly I'm not sure I could ever replace it! Everything else I would sell if the price was right, but I don't think anyone would offer enough to make me part with the Aria SB1000. I could be wrong,but I think it would have to be enough for me to order a new Wal!!!

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1499257402' post='3330308']
Oh also my first ever bass. My Peavey Milestone III, the bass that kick started my love for bass. I didn't even want to learn bass :) funny how things turn out.
[/quote]

My Peavey Milestone III is the only bass I own. Bought from a Cash Converters for £50 in 2005, when I returned to bass after a gap of a couple of decades. Then I joined basschat, bought 3 more basses, including a Fender Aerodyne Jazz, and eventually sold all apart from the Milestone III when I realised that none of the others played or sounded any better. I have no emotional attachment to it, but it does everything I need a bass to do, it's light, well-balanced, feels and sounds great. I can't imagine why I'd replace it, and I have no desire to collect more basses for the sake of it.

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1499583147' post='3332268']
I'd probably sell any of them if the right offer was made.
[/quote]

I think that's the bottom line here... I've no intention of selling my Wals (or ever playing anything else for that matter), but I still wouldn't turn down a ridiculous offer.

... everything has a price they say.

Seeing as no-one will give me silly money for my el cheapo VM P bass then I guess it has to be that.

Owned a hand full of "money" basses over the decades but this thing is just right...7 3/4 Ibs, a slim neck and in pretty LPB with a cream pickguard and a Duncan SPB-1 PU....goes from a soft pillow to a barky growl when I need it so I don't think it will be going anywhere soon.

• 5 years later...

Apologies for the thread necromancy 

On 02/05/2016 at 13:32, Rich said:

I had one of the Maison BC-alikes, mine was a 5 string with JJ pickups and I gigged it for years. I managed to remove the logo from the body with a bit of T-Cut and elbow grease http://basschat.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/%3C#EMO_DIR%23%3E/smile.png
Here it is in action.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/jazza42uk/Roadhouse%2069%20at%20Hogshead%20--%20Rich%201%20small_zpsz8vs8d9l.jpg

I have one of these basses!

Is there any tips you could share for the removal of the logo from the body?

Mark

On 02/05/2016 at 13:32, Rich said:

I had one of the Maison BC-alikes, mine was a 5 string with JJ pickups and I gigged it for years. I managed to remove the logo from the body with a bit of T-Cut and elbow grease

7 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

Apologies for the thread necromancy 

I have one of these basses!

Is there any tips you could share for the removal of the logo from the body?

Mark

Zombie thread :lol: 

As I said, I found that a vigorous application of T-Cut (other paint restorers are available) did the trick. Needs a good bit of elbow grease, but it does come off and leaves no trace.

image.png.2ed3e41197c1a49a1a7424933e2db3b3.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Zombie thread :lol: 

As I said, I found that a vigorous application of T-Cut (other paint restorers are available) did the trick. Needs a good bit of elbow grease, but it does come off and leaves no trace.

image.png.2ed3e41197c1a49a1a7424933e2db3b3.png

I just don't wanna have to do the whole bass because I'm concerned that removing the name might leave me with a much brighter patch of finish right on the part of the bass that can't be covered with anything to hide it. 😅

You just used T-cut on a rag, then?

Mark

Toothpaste is a mild abrasive...

With T cut etc you will see swirls...

Let's have a pic of what you want to remove.

Stickers or glue, always warm up with a hairdryer to re-soften glue. Then Isoprop or Lighter Fluid for the residue, check elsewhere first, don't use acetone...

5 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

This was the logo in question (this isn't my bass though, mine was a dark blue). From memory it appeared to be screen printed or suchlike. Whatever it was, T cut did the trick.

image.png.6c256c2167202e5d274ed3e687c926d9.png

46 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

40 minutes ago, Rich said:

This was the logo in question (this isn't my bass though, mine was a dark blue). From memory it appeared to be screen printed or suchlike. Whatever it was, T cut did the trick.

image.png.6c256c2167202e5d274ed3e687c926d9.png

This is my bass, with the name I wanna try removing ...

Maison 5-String Bass Guitar - 008

Mark

I’d never sell my Tanglewood EB-18. I mean, I’ve got a Jazz bass that I’ll use if I’m recording for someone and I need something that sounds alright. And I’ve got a Mustang bass fitted with flats and foam for any situation that requires instant 60’s bass sounds.

But I’d never sell the little Tanglewood because even though it’s a 25.5” scale and it cost me less than a fiver, I love playing it. Also it does record pretty well. But if I sold it I’d only get enough cash for a pint of Guinness. And you can’t get Guinness where I live. So the Tanglewood is a keeper.

C9CD9C50-19A2-44EB-BD7A-2AE052DAC362.thumb.jpeg.a118185a58dd2c046395e9e3d8189633.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1