Why become a member? ×

The bass you'll never sell

keefbaker

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1462192352' post='3040918']
I had one of the Maison BC-alikes, mine was a 5 string with JJ pickups and I gigged it for years. I managed to remove the logo from the body with a bit of T-Cut and elbow grease :)
[/quote]

I had the fretless 5-string version which was my first 5-string.

I've been thinking about the question.
I will never say never but my one and only current bass (Jim Fleeting custom) is close to perfect for me, I'm seriously thinking that unless I had a lot of spare cash for another custom bass then I shall keep it.

Interesting that the original owner had a lot of input on its design and I've been told chosen all the woods himself. But for some reason he chosen to sell it. I don't think I could have that much involvement then sell it on.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1462192352' post='3040918']
I had one of the Maison BC-alikes, mine was a 5 string with JJ pickups and I gigged it for years. I managed to remove the logo from the body with a bit of T-Cut and elbow grease :)
Here it is in action.

[/quote]

Looks like mine except for two things. Mine didn't come with any kind of printing on the truss rod cover and the contour of the body isn't as rouded as yours, it's more slab'ish. I tried to find a picture of it but it seems that i never taken one. I'll use the oportuinity of bringing it back to life this summer to open a topic on the apropriate section.

EDIT: looking again at the picture i may have been fooled by the perspective and the dark body, probably they're the same shape.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1462391622' post='3042716']
My very first bass. (Tanglewood Warrior IIIFH with entwistles) Doesn't play the best. Doesn't sound the best but is beautiful!
[/quote]

I had one of those basses!!! What a beast, I wish I had kept it. I installed a 3-band Glockenklang preamp on it and it was just... beautiful indeed.

If I had kept my first bass, that would be the one that was a keeper for me.

As it happens, I wouldn't say I have any unsellable bass. Sure, the only situation I can envisage selling my Alpher bass is if I give up bass, but thats not never, is it :)

My yamaha bb1100s has been with me since i was 17 and dispite loads of tinkering i cant find one i like the sound of better. The Shergold Marathon my wife got me for my 40th last year runs it a very close 2nd though.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1462219303' post='3041257']
Unless you live in a mansion, I think you might get away with it for maybe 3 years, but it would get harder
[/quote]
That's a risk I'm willing to take. 😁

• 4 months later...

ESP ltd F415FM 5-string Bass
35" scale 24fret
5 piece hard rock maple/walnut neck thru
Solid mahogany body flame maple top
Rosewood fretboard.
See thru black finish, Grover tuning keys
2 active EMG 40DC humbuckers with active
EMG B64 3-band EQ. Schaller strap locks and brand new stainless steel round wound Bass strings, this Bass sounds and feels just like a Spector NS 5XL USA Bass I played. I'll never get rid of my ESP F415FM Bass.

Edited by Dan Bass

I can't part with any of mine. Gigged with my Gibson ES 335 this weekend and it was a blast.

My Gibson Les Paul Gold Top bass and Gibson 1991 Thunderbird are just too cool to part with.

My German made Hofner Club bass with Cavern Club PU spacing is one of 48 so I'll never sell it.

The G&L ASAT bass with active pre-amp is my primary gigging bass. It"s also is a keeper.

And my 2 MIJ Fender Ps are also wonderful.

I put a lot of thought into these purchases. None were fast impulse buys.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1474312065' post='3137068']
If they don't get used, they don't get the 'love' so they can be sold.
I've never 'got' a huge collection that never gets played...

Must be just me then....
[/quote]

Nope me too. When I predominantly played guitar, I had a bout a dozen of the things. It was fun but pointless. The most basses I've owned at one time is 3 I think. Now I have just the one gigging bass, my Sadowsky, and my first bass.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1461845947' post='3038122']
I can't categorically say "never" but the last to go would be my Veillette Citron. Everybody who's ever tried it has been impressed by it, great weight, balance and tone and most people have never heard of them.

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/Veillette%20Citron%20Basses/d587bdc5-d975-47ad-860e-427f70d739a0_zpsionfvvlg.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Veillette%20Citron%20Basses/d587bdc5-d975-47ad-860e-427f70d739a0_zpsionfvvlg.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I foolishly sold the fretless I had, really regret this even though I don't play fretless..
[/quote]
I'm liking that very much

Keepers - G&L SB1 1986 which I traded a John Hall R* bass against and have owned it for 26+ years. I got the best deal. Second is a Kramer DMZ4001, I always wanted one when i was a student in the 70s/80s but had to make do with a new Fender P bass in 1977 (long since gone). Both basses are keepers due to the difficulty in finding equivalents again. My main playing bass these days is a Gibson SG bass. No problems with this one going, replacements are readily available.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1474316566' post='3137134']
My first bass was a short scale Vox. I could never sell that, but I was lucky to find someone gullible enough to accept it for nothing.
[/quote]

Vox, yeah they had the tear drop and octagon body style.

I don't know how much of the market Vox had on guitars and basses. But the tube guitar amps they're selling now are supposed to be really nice.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1474312065' post='3137068']
If they don't get used, they don't get the 'love' so they can be sold.
I've never 'got' a huge collection that never gets played...

Must be just me then....
[/quote]

I know what you mean.

I have 7 basses. I'm not a collector. I bring 2 to every gig, they all get played in rotation.

Last weekend it was my G&L ASAT and the Gibson ES 335.

This weekend it will be one of my MIJ Fender Ps and my Gibson Thunderbird (traditional tobacco burst).

Blue

For me it is my BC Rich Warlock NT.

I sold my first ever bass and regret it to this day, but my Warlock is the first since then to feel like "mine". Back when I was a kid working in a guitar shop, I was asked what my perfect bass would be and I described this Warlock. That was ten years or so before they even made this particular model (and they only made it for nine or ten years). I know I would regret selling it, so I won't.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1462194905' post='3040955']
Interesting thread - I've been thinking going from 4 basses currently down to two - just cos I don't need that many!
The one I wouldn't ever sell - my 1991 streamer stage one. Was a bit of a dog and tried to sell it quite a bit back in the past. But Bartolini pickups, an ACG preamp and a Alpher bass fret job transformed it!

that looks ace - and I remember you saying that ACG you've got was on your "keeper" pile too!
Triggers broom/bass! :)
[/quote]

I love the maple neck with crown peal inlays. And a cool double racing stripe to boot.

Very cool looking bass.

Blue