Why become a member? ×

The bass you'll never sell

keefbaker

These two:

I don't think I could pick between them. The black Gus was made for me to my specifications. It's my preferred bass for recording. However the red Gus looks better on stage and it's slightly more aggressive sound can be beneficial when the live mix is less than optimal.

Edited by BigRedX

I'm not sure there isn't a bass I'd sell.

I don't intend on selling any of the 3 basses I've got at the moment, I'm very happy with them (although saying that I don't actually play the Ibanez anymore really), but that's not to say if I saw something I really wanted in the future, and it meant selling them to get it, they wouldn't end up in the for sale section.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1461917683' post='3038656']
I have a Mexican P bass 2013 and a Squier VM Jazz. Its unlikely that I will sell either because they are both perfectly good basses and worth far more to me to keep than the lowish price I would get if I sold them.

I am generally more dissatisfied with expensive basses because I expect them to be perfect and I get annoyed when they are not, so I sell them. With the two current basses I know that they are not high end instruments, they are not perfect and I can accept that more because of their relatively low value.

This might sound like twisted logic, hanging onto something because I know its not perfect! Does this make sense?!
[/quote]

Makes sense. There is the expectation that expensive gear should have near no 'faults'. The most expensive bass, and it wasn't that expensive, I've bought was a serious disappointment. I couldn't get a decent action on it, the neck buzzed like a chainsaw for me. I got rid of it.

I don't want to sell any of my current ones, cos it's taken me till now to get them finally.

But my oldest bass companion is my 1970 Precision, which I bought 22 years ago when I was a student. Since then it's been stolen along with my car, and recovered three days later in circumstances wouldn't believe if I did explain them.

I kept it all the time I was a student, then unemployed, then skint for a few years until I got decent work and paid off my debts. Been thru a lot of my life together, and it's still going strong, and still sounding good, so hopefully I'll hang onto it for a few more years at least.

For me it would be this double bass. It's not had an easy life and I suspect it would be regarded as a bit of a mutt by those into fine instruments, but it has a proper old bass voice and I'm just used to playing it. It's had a new fingerboard and bridge since this photo was taken. I had a couple of different double basses before this, but didn't really bond with them in the same way.

My bass guitars are both home built, and while I guess I wouldn't sell those (as I'm not sure they're particularly saleable), if anything happened to them I wouldn't feel too bad about just building another, maybe improving some things this time around.

I've come to the realisation that there might never be one. Although I say I won't sell them, I inevitably do. The next purchase will be my 30th birthday present, for sentimental reasons alone, this could be the one I keep.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1461850909' post='3038194']
Aha! someone who owns a Ripper and an RD. Very jealous, and I have a question for you. My Ripper has been my main gigging bass for years now. I have tried many others but always go back to the Ripper because I just love playing on that neck but I am not really a fan of the body shape. The RDs quite apeal to me to but never having had the chance to try one I have always wondered if the neck feels anything like a Ripper neck?
[/quote]

Having spent a bit of time with both one after the other I'd say that the RD feels slightly chunkier in profile than the Ripper but that could easily be 70s manufacturing "tolerances". Nut width the same. The main difference you'll find with an RD is the whole neck is moved about half an inch along because of the relative positions of the bridge to the body end. So it feels like a bit more of a stretch when you've got the basses on the strap.

Don't want to sell any, but if the house was on fire, I'd try to rescue these two:[list=1]
[*]Ibanez SRX530 - neither rare nor expensive, but it just fits right, sounds good and it's my main bass
[*]Washburn B-20-8 - nothing like so comfortable, but I love that shape and the sound is something else - plus replacements wouldn't be easy to find.
[/list]

That would be my 1984 Westone Thunder III.

I've owned it from new and admit that because I don't play it that much; I've considered selling it a few times.

But I could never let myself go through with it largely because of its ringing piano-like tone that none of my other basses do so well; and also because accepting the paltry amount of money it's worth, even in its almost unblemished condition; wouldn't leave me feeling that I'd made a good decision.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1462026379' post='3039735']
Having spent a bit of time with both one after the other I'd say that the RD feels slightly chunkier in profile than the Ripper but that could easily be 70s manufacturing "tolerances". Nut width the same. The main difference you'll find with an RD is the whole neck is moved about half an inch along because of the relative positions of the bridge to the body end. So it feels like a bit more of a stretch when you've got the basses on the strap.
[/quote]

Cheers neepheid! I think I'm gonna have to try one when I get the chance.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1461844954' post='3038105']
I've never met anyone else with a Maison 'Bass Collection' copy. I had two, a fretted and a fretless. I gigged the fretted for several years
[/quote]

I believe that the model is "Maison TB Series", it was silk screened on the body before i had it refinished from red to grey, i can't find much about them on the net. Mine has active pickups labeled "APS". I have a friend who owns another TB, just like mine, we bought them almost at the same time in the same store.

Edit: i gigged mine a lot too, it sounds great for the price.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

I had one of the Maison BC-alikes, mine was a 5 string with JJ pickups and I gigged it for years. I managed to remove the logo from the body with a bit of T-Cut and elbow grease :)
Here it is in action.

Interesting thread - I've been thinking going from 4 basses currently down to two - just cos I don't need that many!
The one I wouldn't ever sell - my 1991 streamer stage one. Was a bit of a dog and tried to sell it quite a bit back in the past. But Bartolini pickups, an ACG preamp and a Alpher bass fret job transformed it!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1461845947' post='3038122']
I can't categorically say "never" but the last to go would be my Veillette Citron. Everybody who's ever tried it has been impressed by it, great weight, balance and tone and most people have never heard of them.

[url="http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/Veillette%20Citron%20Basses/d587bdc5-d975-47ad-860e-427f70d739a0_zpsionfvvlg.jpg.html"][/url]

I foolishly sold the fretless I had, really regret this even though I don't play fretless..
[/quote] that looks ace - and I remember you saying that ACG you've got was on your "keeper" pile too!
[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1461913034' post='3038612']
My 1990 MiJ '62 reissue jazz bass, had it since about '94 and despite owning around 160 other basses in that time, it's always been my go to. Over the years it's had a graphite neck, east preamp, stickers, pearl pickguard, etc etc
But it's current version is my favourite; maple block neck with stripes and wizard GAFfer pickups; it's earned its scars well
[url="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/gafbass02/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_2.jpeg.html"][/url]
[/quote] Triggers broom/bass! :)

This is the Bass I will never part with... my Jaydee Supernatural Series 2 ~ 34" scale Bass from 1986. I'm short at 5'8" (with small hands) and it shouldn't suit me, but it is so comfortable to play! I Love the Volcano Red colour and it has epic tone/sustain. My youngest son will inherit her in my will.

Edited by SimonEdward

Never say never, as my reason for selling is usually to fund something else, but of my current basses I couldn't imagine wanting to be without my Elwood L5a. It weighs nothing, plays really easily, sounds great and is really versatile.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1462194905' post='3040955']
Interesting thread - I've been thinking going from 4 basses currently down to two - just cos I don't need that many!
The one I wouldn't ever sell - my 1991 streamer stage one. Was a bit of a dog and tried to sell it quite a bit back in the past. But Bartolini pickups, an ACG preamp and a Alpher bass fret job transformed it!

that looks ace - and I remember you saying that ACG you've got was on your "keeper" pile too!
Triggers broom/bass! :)
[/quote]

It really is, the only original parts now are the body and three of the tuning heads!

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1462218537' post='3041249']
I have one bass and intend to buy another bass every year for the rest of my life, without selling any. Just don't tell the missus...
[/quote]Unless you live in a mansion, I think you might get away with it for maybe 3 years, but it would get harder

My custom Ibanez SR600 4-string with 2- Music Man double humbuckers and the Carvin Icon 505s 18v active/passive 3-band EQ with mid freq sweep knob. And my new ESP LTD F415FM 5-string Bass that's see-thru black, has a 5 piece maple/walnut neck-thru solid mahogany body with flame maple top and rosewood fretboard. And it's got Grover tuners 35" scale with 2- active EMG 40DC humbuckers with an active 18v EMG B-64 3-band EQ. $1,300 Bass and sounds exactly like a $4,000 Spector NS 5XL USA Bass, no joke I jammed both of them side by side at a music store and couldn't tell the difference. Thanks ESP for making an affordable Spector sounding clone. Saved me a couple grand.