Why become a member? ×

Poll, how many many basses have you got?

PaulWarning

When I was younger and poorer I could only ever afford to have a bass or a guitar.

So the 62 P bass got sold in 63 to fund the purchase of er I think an Eko 335 copy.

Went through a lot of basses till I finally sold my 4001 to help finance moving to the USA.
Since then (and having been given a factory prototype Epiphone Explorer) I used the same bass from 83 to 2010 when I got a pink MIM Precision.Oh and found a fenton weill bass my son had accidentally stashed behind his wardrobe for ten years! Sold both of them to fund the 62 Reissue P bass I now play.
Along with that old Epiphone prototype, which still sounds and plays great.
So I have the luxury of TWO basses! Yay!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1444223967' post='2881302']
I can afford it and it pleases me to have a small selection of basses to choose from. Justify it? No.
[/quote]that's fair enough, it's all about getting pleasure in any way we can :lol:
[quote name='Les' timestamp='1444226093' post='2881329']
quick head count before I voted and I realised I have more guitars than basses :o
[/quote]guitars don't count, I have 2, at the risk of upsetting other basschatters I can sort of understand guitarists needing more than one guitar, they snap strings a lot easier for a start and have different tunings (more so than bassists I would imagine) and even I can tell the difference between a telecaster and a Gibson Les Paul.
I know basses sound different but it's not nearly as obvious as guitars IMO
Having said that I was at a small festival in the summer standing outside the tent, and I said "That sounds like a Rik" and it was :) that doesn't mean it sound good btw :lol:

Edited by PaulWarning

3 basses, one cheapo strat type guitar and an acoustic
the strat thing was bought for my daughter, she never played it :(
the acoustic is a rather nice fender which my son wanted, he never plays it :(
A squire affinity Jazz which i bought for my other daughter, geuss what, she never plays it :( though i quite like it so occasionally take it to gigs cos its sounds nice and is different from my main basses.
An ibby SR500, was my main bass for about 7 years and i'm attached to it, i'll 'probably' never sell it
And have just bought a Ibby SR1805 NTF so i can learn and use 5 strings and its a big step up quality wise and i wanted a new good bass that would be long term, i still mostly use 4 strings on it but it does make a nice thumb rest :rolleyes:

Edited by lowhand_mike

Four. I really don't need four.
One for sentiment. A P Bass bitsa with a Jazz neck that I put together from bits I sourced here and there when I caem out of bass retirement 12 years ago. I can't bear to sell it as it was my kick starter.
Two is the one. 2007 US P bass bought new. Tried loads. This was the best by a way. Never let me down, Like an old comfy pair of brogues.
Three for the ego. Managed to bluff an endorsement with Eastwood and was sent a rather nice Stormbird. Looks good and plays well. Can't get rid of a good blag?
Four is a whim. I got the Harley Benton Deko bug. A Jazz I can shove in a corner as a spare or use for weight training. Owes me pennies.

I only really need the Precision and maybe a spare for peace of mind. Need and want rarely coincide though. As some people in W4 know too well...

Sickeningly large number, and really don't need them at all.
I need one bass.

Why this number then?
Because of huge curiosity combined with the wish to learn about basses - the feel, the sound, the this, the that...

When I'm done learning (insert shrewd smiley here), then I'll bring back the number to one or a few at most.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1444221903' post='2881271']
I see the poll has no option for Zero - there must be somebody here who doesn't have any at all mustn't there?
[/quote]

Hahaha...as if somebody who comes here could have 0 basses....how long would that last??? I'm convinced that GAS is a computer virus...

I have four basses that have been acquired out of both necessity and curiosity over the last 30 years or so.

Number 1 is an American Precision bought from new around 1981/82.

Back then I was quite happy to gig without a back up bass until one day, horror of horrors my bottom E string gave out 1[sup]st[/sup] song into the set. (The ONLY time I ever had a string go)

Managed to get through the song using the remaining strings and perform a lightening string change and tune up whist vowing to get a back up bass to avoid future embarrassment.

Enter Bass Number 2 Squier Precision also from new.

These days it’s kept with a dropped D for a couple of songs plus it wouldn’t take long to up it to E if Bass one had an incident.

About five years ago I bought a defretted Hohner Precision copy off eBay for about 30 quid so that I could see how I’d get on playing fretless……..let’s just say I wouldn’t play fretless in pubic!

Last year I bought a Cort Curbow 4.1 because I liked the feel of the (Thinner than a P Bass) neck and the two octave fretboard.

The Cort is my favorite to play because it’s so quick and easy to get round the fretboard (It’s not just new toy syndrome) BUT…. The Precision still sounds the best with that incredible grunt – so it’s still my number one gigging bass.

I also have (and play) a nylon strung Spanish/Classical guitar.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1444217164' post='2881171']
why do people need so many basses or guitars for that matter? our guitarist has 13 and several bassists on here seem quite a few.
Is it a collecting thing or have you just not found the right one or perhaps you think they sound different enough to justify it? me, I've just got a MIA P which I use all the time and an old Hondo as a back up, which I've never needed
[/quote]

Here's my story...

I was 18 and got my first bass (an Aria which I still have and would never sell because its still a lovely bass and for sentimental reasons). Seven years later I got a Squier Jazz as a spare/project bass. Two years later I had the chance to get the bass I'd always dreamed of for a really good price (my Mk1 Wal). I had the Squier defretted to see how I would handle fretless. Around the same time my folk band folded and we divied up the cash we'd saved for recording. I used that to buy my Revell acoustic bass (which I still have but which is too fragile for use out of the house). A few years later I (on a whim that lasted about 2 years - long story) bought my Wal Pro IIE and sold my Squier a) to fund it and b ) because I was never going to be any good at fretless.

Total basses in 2001 - 4 (3 electric/1 acoustic)

Around 2005 my Wal ProIIE needed a bit of TLC and I retired it from use. I got a Signature Jazz neck and body off eBay (from Buildabass/Slonk18/Goerdt Lamberts) when the $:£ rate was over 2:1 as a project bass and a second bass/backup for gigs. (5 basses). The Jazz then got lent to an independent record producer friend on a long term basis. He still has it at the moment. (in theory still 5 basses)

Last year we started doing some acoustic shows where an acoustic/electric bass would have been useful/appropriate/perfect so I bought my Faith Neptune Titan because my Revell just wouldn't have hacked it.

So... Current total basses = 6 (4 electric and 2 acoustic). Each had a reason and a rationale and gets/got used for different purposes.

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1444221566' post='2881259']
If we're mentioning guitars, I have one -- the classic Pawn Shop Acoustic. Everybody should have one :)
[/quote]

Wouldn't be of any use to me, I can't play guitar :)

(And I mean that genuinely, I can't play guitar at all)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1444243056' post='2881559']
Wouldn't be of any use to me, I can't play guitar :)

(And I mean that genuinely, I can't play guitar at all)
[/quote]
That needn't stop you. I only know 4 chords, and three of them are E. :lol:

4 basses, but 2 up for sale right now - I counted 'em anyway.

Originally a guitarist by training so still I have, er, 5 of varying vintages and configurations (down from 12 or 13 at it's peak). I only play for myself these days (and not very often at that) so it's way too many, but I can't bring myself to let them go. :(

I have far too many. I can't justify it. They take up too much space and I will lose money on almost all of them. Foolishness.

Edit: Peak was 58, about the time of the original post. There were also some projects, about three. Plus two uprights, an Ashbory, two cellos, two violins, a viola, an acoustic guitar, a trombone, an electric guitar, a banjo (on loan to an ex-guitarist), and access to a piano and a flute. Some of these have gone by now.

And the answer is No, I can't play any of them well.

Edited by alyctes