Why become a member? ×

Basses In/Basses Out 2014 - And What You've Learned......

spongebob

It's nearly New Year, so how about a look back on the BC'ers buys and sells for the past 12 months?

For me it was -

In - Fender US Standard Precision
Fender US Standard Jazz
Fender Geddy Lee MIM

Out - Rickenbacker 4003
Fender Geddy Lee MIM

I learned that I was not a Ricky player for life as I thought, after gradually getting disillusioned with my tone. I also discovered what a bass sounds like in the mix when you're not competing for sonic space with the guitarist! P with flats showed me that my amp and cab actually has got lots of bottom end! :blush:

Too many things in and out, but I'll focus on:

In:
Fender Precision Classic 50 series

Out:
Lakland 5502

Learnt:
1) I can play a 5-string bass without too much trouble as long as it's got wide string spacing.
2) I don't currently have much use for a 5-string bass, and the ones I really want seem to be 4-stringers.
3) Contrary to my impressions for years, I could use a Precision as my one and only bass, without adding a preamp to it as well! Amazing discovery!

I`ve bought and sold so many - again - this year. What have I learned, I`ve learned that when you get a bass you really gel with, don`t let it go. Luckily I managed to get back the best sounding bass I`ve ever had, my trusty 78 Precision, and am just about to get back another great Precision which I sold earlier this year and regretted it almost immediately. Even if not needed, unless cash is a priority over the instrument, try and keep hold if you can.

OK. :unsure:

In.
Washburn semi-acoustic
Ukulele bass
Fender Jazz Bass Special
Aria Pro II CSB 450 'Black n Gold'
Overwater medium scale
Westone Thunder 1A
Westone Thunder 1A fretless
Squier Precision medium scale
Squier VM Jaguar
Squier Deluxe Jazz
SGC Nanyo SB-315

Out
Bitsa Precision
Squier VM Jaguar
SGC Nanyo 315
Ibanez SR800
Squier deluxe jazz
Squier Silver Series jazz
ThunderJetRay
Squier fretless Jazz
Peavey Fury
Aria Pro II Laser Classic

That seems to be a net gain of two, with many appearing in both the 'in' and 'out' trays. I have convinced myself the first two don't count as the aren't 'proper' basses, so in actual fact I have reached status quo. So to speak.

Edit - just done the maths, I have a net reduction by 1, under the second accounting system. That'll teach me to post with a head cold.

What have I learnt? I apparently not much in terms of self-control :) In terms of trying all sorts of stuff, loads. I like medium scale basses. Another edit, I've gone back to round wound strings. Again.

Edited by Paul S

Out........Squier VM 77 Jazz

In.........Limelight 63 Jazz

The quietest year I've had on BC for basses since I joined right at the beginning of BC. Part of the reason is that I seem to have all the tools I need at the minute and the Jazz swap out was just tweaking. The other part was that I've (unfortunately) used the gig cash putting the band PA together, sorting my own liightweight bass rig and building a small suite of effects.

The big revelation this year has been the Limelight bass, I've had a fair few jazzes over the years, of all nationalities, but I never realised there were so many nuances in the JB sound palette until I got this one.

Out:

Epiphone EB-3
Fender MIM Jazz
Squier VM 77 Jazz

In:

Yamaha BB425 (if it comes tomorrow)

I've learned that after my third EB-3 they sound terrible, they don't balance very well and they caused my amp to feedback when I turned to face it. I, too, have discovered that jazz basses just don't do it for me and a Precision is all I need.

After about 5 years without one I have decided to go for a 5 string as i am returning to playing in a wedding/function band next year and fancied a change. The Yamaha is still technically a precision ;)

Edited by Delberthot

No basses in or out, my two G&Ls cover pretty much everything I need from a bass perspective (famous last words right?)

But other kit:

Out:
Genz STM 900 (not actually shipped yet)
Sansamp BDDI

In:
EBS HD350
Behringer VAmp Bass

What have I learned? I'm an EBS man at heart :)

In:

Hohner B2AV
Harley Benton B35FL

Out:

Hohner B2V

The reason for the Hohner ins and outs was that the B2V/B2AV makes an ideal backup bass for me, and the B2V was painted black in pretty much pristine condition, so rather than the B2V getting dinged, I bought a walnut B2AV and sold the B2V. I prefer natural finish anyway.

The Harley Benton is a decoration-only which cost me £26 after review vouchers. How could I resist?

In... Squier Vintage Modified Precision

Out... nothing! (EDIT: Just remembered I got rid of a Vintage V900 on the basis of my 1-in-1-out policy!)

What I've learned - that flats DO sound great on a passive P bass (on the Squier VM) and that a great set of roundwounds (La Bella) has let me fall back in love with my good old Westone Spectrum LX :)

Edited by HowieBass

In :

Warwick Corvette 2004 STD 5 (Bubinga) - I learned heavy basses sound amazing but 6kilos was far too much for my puny shoulders to handle.

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5 - I learned nothing from this really.

ACG Salace - I learned that I really love asymmetrical necks and ACG bass + John East preamp sounds incredible. Also learned not to trust a certain prominent member on here (I shall not go into further details). This did however prompt me to place a custom order with Alan which is now well under way!

Dingwall Afterburner 1 - I learned that I love everything about Dingwall basses except the lack of growl in the tone. Fan frets are the way forward.

Warwick Thumb NT 5 - I learned growly dark tone suits my band perfectly.

Out -

Warwick Thumb 2006 Dirty Blonde

and all of the above excluding the Thumb NT 5

Out = nought

In = one - Fender Roger Waters Signature Precision, not that I needed another P, but saw it & fell in love, I'd known about them a long time but hadn't even thought about buying until a bargain jumped out & shouted BUY ME :rolleyes: Fitted Status Hotwire flats & set it up, now it's amongst the top of the tree P's for me. The Maple neck & board along with the brass nut give it a brightness but it's 100% P-bass.

Finding myself with no time to complete a project bass I was building, which left me with no electric bass to play, I bought on a whim from the BC classifieds (on a one in, one out basis) :

In:

Italia Rimini bass
Yamaha BB415
Squier VM Precision 5 (bought new by me from Andertons)

Out:

The Italia and Yamaha.

What I've learnt is that you don't need to spend a huge wedge to get a decent instrument, and that with good quality strings, a couple of mods and a very good professional setup, a reasonably inexpensive bass can be made to feel and sound like something really special.

I wish I'd learnt this years ago, would have saved a small fortune!

I have neither bought nor sold any basses this year. I have a new neck on the cards that will complete a bass, but nothing new.

Regarding gear, I've had a bit come and go:

In - MXR Compressor, MXR Fuzz Deluxe, Line6 Bass Pod XT
In & Out - Line6 Bass Pod XT Live. Great piece of kit but too complicated for my needs. Sold on to a very, very happy chappy.
Out - some studio gear. This will finance the Warmoth neck that will go on my Warmoth jazz body.

Learnt this year? Technique, licks etc. I'm in a new band with really talented folks and a little (but not too much) out of my depth, so I am learning lots and feeling motivated to learn more. I am building a pedal board (after years without effects) for future projects. Musically, I think I am in a great place.

Edited by JimBobTTD

Basses in/out - None!

Love my Yamaha BB424. Have no GAS for another bass at all and I don't think I ever will unless I get enough money for a 2024!

Chopped and changed my amplification a bit though. Moved through small combos and amps/cabs before settling on a nice big Peavey Max700 and Peavey TXF 410. I think it sounds better :)

Truckstop

Out went all the 4 stringers and EMG powered basses when I changed my amp set up.

Out went:
LTD/Surveyor 405's
Spector Legend4 Custom
Farida HB20
Warwick FNA5, which sounded great but had a number of niggly problems that mean't I didn't trust it.

In came:
EB Musicman SR5
SterlingRay35

What have I learned? Lots actually.
Over-complication is a bad thing,
Fewer basses is better as consistency is a building block to a good sound.
What sounds good at home may not sound as good in a live band situation

Edited by Pinball

Great thread!

In - 2014 Fender CS Ltd Edition 1955 Relic Precision and a Mike Lull P Bass.

Out - 1966 Precison, CS Precision

There were a lot of others that were part exchanged to me or bought and sold whilst finding my keepers including a few CS Precision Basses, a couple of USA Std jazz Basses, vintage Jazz and Precisions, 3 JV's inc Fender logo ones, an Ibanez Musician Fretless and some Modulus Flea/Funk Unlimited's. All were great basses, I ended up keeping the ones that I had an affinity with.

I am looking forward to a very quiet 2015 when it comes to ins and outs. At worse, one will have to go due to needing a new car, though I damn well hope not and fighting for that not to happen. But I don't see myself buying anymore, I hope.......

Edited by Chiliwailer

In

SG bass, always wanted one, with pyramid golds it nails the Jack Bruce / Andy Fraser / Peter Cruickshank sound. Modern strings play well with short scale. Realised short scale is easier with small hands.

Peavey Millenium now fitted with EMGs - £100 all in. How cheap can you go?

out - nothing yet...

Edited by 3below