Why become a member? ×

Fodera Yin Yang - what do people think aesthetically?

molan

i think it looks great, i do prefer yours or VW.s old flamed maple one, i was lucky enough to have a go on a friends Monarch, lovely bass, but i doubt id fork out £7k for one , did try out a bolt on version in Mannys in new york and it was really nice!!

Edited by lee650

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='993931' date='Oct 19 2010, 06:49 PM']Wooten pulls it off. And i like the fact it's done with woods rather than a paint job. It doesn't offend me at all.

The one you had at bassday UK was a much better looking instrument in my humble opinion.

If i was buying a Fodera, i'd want it to look like mine, not his. If you get me?[/quote]

I think it's a beautiful bass. However I totally agree with this, spending that sort of money I'd want something that was 'mine'.

I don't like the ying yang on instruments, it puts me off the Warwick Stage II Streamer with those inlays. I just think its a lil tacky. Its not a major put off but for the money! This coming from a man with a red burst bolt of lightening on a metallic gold guitar...Glad to hear your enjoying the Fodera though!

Looks from any distance like a poor paint job. Plus, it's SO associated with VW that it's like some fivebellies walking round with a football shirt on with 'Ronaldo'* on the back. Screams 'fanboy wannabe'.

Oooh, I'm grumpy this morning...

* Substitute your favourite knuckle-dragging sporting millionaire chav here...

I think the important thing is - do you like it? If so then that's enough to get one

Thought it was ugly form the first point I saw it - and let's be realistic, how many punters are actually going to know who Victor Wooten is?

If it sounds good and let's you play what you want on it then go for it.

I was seriously considering the Fodera YY that was in the Gallery a few years ago. When I saw it in the flesh I wasn't so taken with it (to be honest, Holly isn't very figured and simply looks quite white). There's also the VW association and - as Andy suggests - I'd prefer a bass that looks like mine (if that makes sense...err, and one of my main basses is a SCD!) No doubting the general quality of Foderas though - the MG5 that I had for a few months was a superb build

[quote name='purpleblob' post='994471' date='Oct 20 2010, 09:31 AM']I like the shape on the Monarch but I'm not mad on the whole Yin Yang look, it's a little pretentious to me (obviously VW can get away with it, but I don't feel I could :)). But each to their own.[/quote]

Me too. Was that design inspired by/for VW or was his Yin/Yang album inpsired by the bass?

Either way, it seems like a kind of signature bass without the signature. True though, only other bass players (and even then, only some of them) would know who Wooten was.

I like the body shape, but don't like this particular option. Horses for courses though I guess.

It's not doing anything for me. It's the sort of bass you would nod at whatever gibberish it was saying while trying not to appear condescending and then make your excuses and leave the scene as rapidly as you can without seeming like you're in a hurry.

It looks terrible to me. I'm sure it took a lot of hard work and skill to create, but it's about as tasteful as Victor's wardrobe. The body shape is quite nice so it's just a matter of that 'orrible, tacky Yin Yang and the inlays.

Edited by Wil

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='molan' post='993861' date='Oct 19 2010, 06:04 PM']Ok - so I'm a big Fodera fan so my opinion is going to show some bias but I keep looking at the 'classic' black / white (ebony / holly) Yin Yang basses & thinking how cool they look.

I tested them out on my wife - who is usually ultra-critical of 'flashy' wood tops like flamed maple etc. and even she remarked that it was the nicest bass she'd seen.

So I have a feeling this design is going to 'polarise' opinion somewhat so I thought I'd throw the question out to see what everyone else thinks. . .

[/quote]

Ah, nice - I see my garden wall and in front of it the YY I used to own until beginning of the year :)

I sold this particular bass because of its sound - not because of its look. Personally I like the Yin Yang symbol, even if in the bass world it is associated so close with VW's performances.

Nevertheless I prefer a more .... hm, traditional look for my basses - not as symbolic as this one.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1023052' date='Nov 14 2010, 12:48 AM']I like it a lot actually but then again, if you see my cow bass you'll understand why :)

BUY IT!![/quote]

I did :)

Well - not this actual bass but one very similar - should be here in a week or two. . .