Why become a member? ×

Fodera Yin Yang - what do people think aesthetically?

molan

Ok - so I'm a big Fodera fan so my opinion is going to show some bias but I keep looking at the 'classic' black / white (ebony / holly) Yin Yang basses & thinking how cool they look.

I tested them out on my wife - who is usually ultra-critical of 'flashy' wood tops like flamed maple etc. and even she remarked that it was the nicest bass she'd seen.

So I have a feeling this design is going to 'polarise' opinion somewhat so I thought I'd throw the question out to see what everyone else thinks. . .

Sorry Barrie, you have some lovely basses - but that is just like a posh version of having 'go faster' stripes on a car. OTT as far as I am concerned. Plus if you play that bass you will develop an unaccountable urge to double thumb, and the gaps between your front teeth will widen :)

Wooten pulls it off. And i like the fact it's done with woods rather than a paint job. It doesn't offend me at all.

The one you had at bassday UK was a much better looking instrument in my humble opinion.

If i was buying a Fodera, i'd want it to look like mine, not his. If you get me?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='993974' date='Oct 19 2010, 07:30 PM']Pretty nice, and I imagine it would take some serious craftmanship to get those tops to match together perfectly like that[/quote]

Yep - takes twice as long to build apparently!

I've not actually seen one in the flesh but I hear the craftsmanship is awesome :)

[quote name='molan' post='993987' date='Oct 19 2010, 07:36 PM']Yep - takes twice as long to build apparently!

I've not actually seen one in the flesh but I hear the craftsmanship is awesome :)[/quote]

Twice as long?? It's great craftsmanship,but it's only the top that will really take longer
than normal surely?

Have you bought this mate???

im a little unsure on the looks...........hmmm

for me i guess its because its so heavily associated with Mr Wooten that people may expect you to have his ability (and be disappointed in my case) etc

i'd rather have an understated bass and people be surprised at how well i play :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='993991' date='Oct 19 2010, 07:38 PM']Twice as long?? It's great craftsmanship,but it's only the top that will really take longer
than normal surely?[/quote]

Sorry - my bad explanation. It takes twice as long to complete & fit the top, headstock and inlays compared to a 'regular' top (as opposed to the entire build process).

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='993992' date='Oct 19 2010, 07:38 PM']Have you bought this mate???

im a little unsure on the looks...........hmmm

for me i guess its because its so heavily associated with Mr Wooten that people may expect you to have his ability (and be disappointed in my case) etc

i'd rather have an understated bass and people be surprised at how well i play :lol:[/quote]

I haven't bought one - just kinda like the looks. Mind you, I do know of one for sale. . .

I'm not sure it would ever leave the house if i did buy one though so no worries about people thinking I can even contemplate playing a VW bass line, lol.

I spend a lot of time playing at home just for fun so wouldn't be too concerned about having something that never left the house :)

[quote name='molan' post='994002' date='Oct 19 2010, 07:42 PM']I haven't bought one - just kinda like the looks. Mind you, I do know of one for sale. . .

I'm not sure it would ever leave the house if i did buy one though so no worries about people thinking I can even contemplate playing a VW bass line, lol.

I spend a lot of time playing at home just for fun so wouldn't be too concerned about having something that never left the house :)[/quote]

in that case i'd go for it :lol:

If you can afford it, why the hell not?

great news for us lot as some of your lovely bass collection will be up for grabs :)

[quote name='molan' post='993995' date='Oct 19 2010, 07:40 PM']Sorry - my bad explanation. It takes twice as long to complete & fit the top, headstock and inlays compared to a 'regular' top (as opposed to the entire build process).[/quote]

Ah ok. That makes total sense.

I like it. Looks like the opinion is yin yang :)

I've always liked that design and I wouldn't give a stuff about the Wooten association either; I have a Lakland DJ that is like Adam Clayton's and he's not bothered in the least. :lol: