Why become a member? ×

How do you decide which bass to gig?

Cat Burrito

It's dawning on me that I have done all my electric gigs over the last 6 months on the same bass. (must be worth a prize! :rolleyes: ) Some of you have over 10 basses and most Basschatters seem to own more than 1. Just wondered whether you chop & change to match your shoes or whether you have certain basses for certain bands... or how you arrive on the decision to play what you are playing?

Personally I'm settled into my bitsa 70s P-bass right now as it doesn't matter if it gets knocked about, it's set up beautifully, has a great tone and I spent so many hours stripping and sanding it that I built a bigger bond with it than at the height of my GAS when I'd almost sport a different instrument to match the shirt. :lol: I'm sure the other 4 will get a look in one day :)

Over to you...

I play my 4 string USA Jazz FMT with one band and a 5 string (had a few but hoping to get the Shuker on here) in my other one. I've got a few other Basses but doubt I'll gig with them. I have gigged with my Ibanez (see sig) when we used to do acoustic sets.

Edited by PURPOLARIS

I used to reserve my '72 Precision for decent gigs and my (now sold) punky, beat-up CIJ P bass 'Sid' for any gig where I thought the bass might get bashed or where there wasn't a secure storage area for gear. In practice this meant I almost always took 'Sid'. Thats why I sold it, so I could play my 72P a great deal more. Only then I bought an Alembic (and played that at our last gig) and then our drummer quit so no gigs for foreseeable future ..... Ho hum

I'm finding that the bass i rehearse or write on rarely makes it to the gigs - even tho I start off with the best of intentions to use something else I keep returning to the solidity of my US G&L 2000 - and I think it's that solidity which makes me gravitate towards it somehow - heavy, but so solid -

I usually play my latest purchase for around 3 gigs then go back to my P bass bitsa or VMJ. Recently it`s been my Status but tonight Mathew it will be the P with Status Half rounds with the Jazz as a backup. The Status will no doubt re-appear at some point.

Jez

I have 3, but gig two. I might consider the set as to which bass I'll start with and also the room wil be an influence here.
They are all 5's and the 2 J5's go to every gig..
Both sound greta but I'll play one or other for a set...I don't chop and change between numbers othersie.
At home, I practise on both. The use the 3rd one gets will determine when I sell it, which isn't very much at all atm, but the market is poor, so
it has its place on the stand.

Mainly the Washburn Status,as that's been my first'proper' bass. Reliable,easy to change strings (if needed ) etc.
Been using the steinberger for the last few gigs,for potrtability etc.Have done2 gigs(and one jam ) with the Telecaster,but
doubtful if I'll do anymore as I have to keep my eye on it. Done a couple of gigs with the JD bass,but prefer the feel of the
headless. Not confident to play the 5 string in a gig situation yet.

I would probably just play my 63 P bass for most gigs if I could, but with my main 7 piece band it can get a bit lost in the mix so I wheel out the Ray for that band. Other times I might want a little more flexibilty p/up wise and then I use my double P.

I'm still at the stage where I have yet to establish firmly what I want from my basses, so I keep chopping and changing and they all get a look in. So far the Jaguar does it all for my 'regular' covers band. The heavier rock covers band I am still trying stuff out but think my Westone Thunder 1A tops the pops. Only gigged the T-bird once but that was nice.

Out of my 4 Precisions, my newly refinished arctic white MIA (Twins Of Evil 1) is my go to bass for both gigs, and rehearsals. To gigs I always take along my olympic white MIM (Twins Of Evil 2), just in case, but the arctic white is just the go to bass. The playablity, the way the tone sits exactly where I want it in the mix, everything abt this bass is right for me.