Why become a member? ×

How do you decide which bass to gig?

Cat Burrito

I currently have two basses. I only take a spare if i'm miles away from home on function (miles away from home).. It's much quicker to change bass if something went wrong than a string during a set... there's no time then

I usually take one for my gigs in London and set of strings and a screwdriver etc. Both basses are passive, so less can go wrong really.. I guess

As a rule:

Rock/pop/all-rounder/pucnhy groovey - Jazz Roadworn

Acoustic style, Groove, soul, some pop, Very heavy rock - Jazz Aerodyne with TruBass strings (flats)

The fact I'm using the Roadworn is more based on the fact I'm doing more gigs that need that sound.. In the next few months the Aeordyne will be used more.. In the studio, I carry both..

I choose the bass based on the sound I need for the gig.. I don't see the point of having the two basses that sound the same, so when I got my Roadworn, I put Trubass strings on my aerodyne as recommended by the previous owner and they have warm acoustic like tone, which is completely different from the roadworn..

I feel the same with my drums and cymbals.. I have Rock/pop kit and Jungle/groovy kit

Edited by algmusic

I take a spare to every gig - Hohner Jack 5-string. Being a headless, it's pretty compact (standard guitar case) and I can just prop it up somewhere (doesn't need a stand). It'll also do active/passive in case the battery ever goes flat on it.

EDIT: except the ceilidh gigs, I'll have two or three instruments which I use interchangably there anyway so I shouldn't really run out of instruments.

Edited by tauzero